• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I have one light/laser combo on a FN9c with night sights. I had just a light on it previously. I ran a few drills in the dark, the light made my night sights hard to see. The light/laser combo made a huge difference for me in terms of placement.

I look at it this way; its on my nightstand gun. In the middle of the night, not quite awake, probably dont have my glasses because I frequently leave them in the living room when I go to bed. I have a light to make sure its not my goofy sister in law and I have a substantially better chance of reasonable and quick shot placement with the laser.

Generally speaking I'm not that big a fan compared with a red dot but in that one scenario I feel it let's me be as effective as I can be under the circumstances.

Flame me but I ain't 20 (or 30 or 40 or 50...) any more and I'll take all the help I can get.
    Lynx Defense

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Shoot as fast as you can, but do not miss. I don't tolerate misses.
    Not quite as harsh as you but I had an instructor that said "take all the time you need, don't waste any". That was 11yrs ago.

Here' s the interesting thing.
    Four Ladies, three BRAND NEW shooters, and one fairly new shooter, shooting the laser/light equipped gun the THE FIRST TIME THEY THEY EVER SAW ONE,
    In total darkness........... MISSED..................
    ONE SHOT out of 120 shots.The Ladies HAD A BALL.
    Very cool!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've been into gun mounted lasers since they were not much more than cat toys.

For the last many years all my "defense guns", shotguns, rifles and handguns are equipped with good lasers, or better yet good laser/lights.

I have a backyard range where I can shoot low light/dark. So I have seen what works good and what doesn't. Not only for the experienced shooter but for the new shooter as well.

Bottom line.....
    Night sights and/or a hand held flashlight are slow and pretty inaccurate.

A gun mounted laser is fast but in low light/dark a light must be used to identify the target.
    Overall, it still can be slow. Accurate but slow, because in near dark it needs a light source (hand held flashlight).

The gun mounted laser/light is fast and accurate.

Up until about a couple years ago the speed and accuracy of the laser/light had to be live fire demonstrated to the hard core laser hater, but something happened one night on my range that surprised even me.

I teach new shooters and a couple years ago...........

"Three ladies, that had not touched a gun before, came to my place (outside range) to learn to shoot.
    They arrived late, so after all the stuff you tell new shooters, they only had enough daylight to shoot three magazines each. I start new shooters on the Ruger SR22.
    The ladies did about average.

As it was getting dark and I was packing up I saw I had a laser/light equipped SR22 in my gun box.

I told the ladies,
    Usually I don't have new shooters learn the gun mounted laser until they get pretty fair with iron sights,
    BUT, since you are here and it's getting dark and I happen to have a laser/light equipped pistol with me, if you want, I'll give you a quick laser/light lesson and you can try it out.

The ladies were excited.

I told them the drill is...........
    It's dark (which by now it was) and for some reason you confront 4 bad guys.
    4 steel targets, spaced out about 10 yards across the front of the lady, about 10 yards away.
    Stand your ground when I say SHOOT, Hit your laser/light switch and shoot all four targets, back and forth and keep reloading, until you empty your 3 magazines (30 rounds).
    Shoot as fast as you can, but do not miss. I don't tolerate misses.

There was another lady there that I had taught to shoot, who was ready to go for her Concealed Carry License. She hadn't intended to shoot today.
    I told her,
    "Your turn, except since you are "experienced", (but she never saw a laser/light before) I want you to continue moving as you shoot."

Here' s the interesting thing.
    Four Ladies, three BRAND NEW shooters, and one fairly new shooter, shooting the laser/light equipped gun the FIRST TIME THEY THEY EVER SAW ONE,
    In total darkness........... MISSED..................
    ONE SHOT out of 120 shots.The Ladies HAD A BALL.

Holy necro posting. 11.5 years that's gotta be some kind of record.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Cool is timeless.

ELO is cool.

The 70s? I guess some stuff from then is cool, like ELO and the Eagles.

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Cool is timeless.

ELO is cool.

The 70s? I guess some stuff from then is cool, like ELO and the Eagles.

The 60's were also cool. :)

You could still buy military guns, like the 1911A1, M1 Carbine, 03A3/4, M1 Garand, etc, directly from the government for a very low price.

Brand new with extra magazine, total cost $17, delivered to my door by the Mailman.

It's gone through some changes in 60 years. :)

1911A1 Remington.JPG

Attachments

• 1911A1 Remington.JPG
      1911A1 Remington.JPG
      114 KB · Views: 273

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    M2 Carbine, I was wondering about you the other day! Glad to see you post here. I know you're more active at GT but I'm not there much anymore. Great write-up!

Y'all take it easy on M2, he's a badass!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom