Capitol Armory ad

Opinions on Rainier Arms 10.5" 5R 5.56 barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm officially across the 90-day mark since my Form 1 SBR e-filing, so I'm starting to compare barrels online anticipating approval in the next 30 days or so (I'll actually make the order once I have an approved Form 1 in hand).

I'm building a "standard" 223/5.56 SBR, no wildcat caliber, no .300 Blk, etc. to start, but am using a carbine-length gas system due to the handguard choice I've made and the upper receiver I'm using.

I'm looking at the Rainier Arms 10.5" barrel, which is 5R rifled with a 1:8 twist (and threaded on the end for whatever I decide to add).

Is anyone here using a Rainier Arms barrel? Their return policy and guarantee seem to be pretty straightforward and consumer-friendly, but I'd love to hear actual field reports.

Thanks!
    Guns International

Last edited:

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    The Rainier is very nice.

Why are you thinking 30 more days? I just got the stamp in for this. Took 9 months to come in. I used a 7.5" Noveske barrel on it so I could hide the suppressor under the handguard.

On topic; Rainier makes some nice stuff. If that's what you want go for it.

yga7azyt.jpg

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Why are you thinking 30 more days? I just got the stamp in for this. Took 9 months to come in. I used a 7.5" Noveske barrel on it so I could hide the suppressor under the handguard.

Sorry, updated post to indicate e-filing. It was running 90-100 days in January, closer to 120 now it looks like. So literally any day now.

I'm not suppressing this one, yet (and with the current e-forms debacle I don't know when I will), just looking for a shorty to run at the range here and there "just because." Glad to hear you've had good experience with them and you've got a nice-looking setup there!

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

yga7azyt.jpg

You are brave running a 7.5" barrel (I'm assuming 5.56) with a suppressor, I would be super worried about baffle strikes (in fact, most suppressor manufacturers won't warranty for 5.56 under 10.5").

For all you saying your stamp is do any day now, if you e-filed, I wouldn't hold my breath. System went down over a week ago. I've only seen 1 efiled approval in the past 10 days. I'm waiting on 2 Form 4s from December 5th.

And side not to the OP, I was looking at the rainier 10.5 5.56 for my dad, I think they make quality stuff (I just wish it was a 1:7 instead of 1:8).

EDIT: That barrel is now out of stock, fyi. I knew that would happen...

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I don't have that barrel, but I have two first gen Rainier rifles and their 7.5" ultra match upper. I am not in any wise an expert, but I have no complaints with any of their products. I haven't read any complaints either.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    EDIT: That barrel is now out of stock, fyi. I knew that would happen...

Of course it is. That only means my Form 1 Approval will show up today... and I won't be able to order the barrel anyway. :)

I've been monitoring NFATracker since eForms "went down" even though they said already-filed forms were still in process... I've noticed the same disturbing trend. I'm just trying to stay positive and not act like a kid at Christmas, you know?

Thanks for the great feedback, all. I'm glad to not see a plethora of "it's crap!" that would indicate it is, in fact, crap. I'm not going to be depending on this rifle for my life, but I would prefer reliable parts and do very much like the 5R rifling. I'm okay with 1:8, it just means I'll use 62-ish grain bullets vs. 55.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Of course it is. That only means my Form 1 Approval will show up today... and I won't be able to order the barrel anyway. :)

I've been monitoring NFATracker since eForms "went down" even though they said already-filed forms were still in process... I've noticed the same disturbing trend. I'm just trying to stay positive and not act like a kid at Christmas, you know?

Thanks for the great feedback, all. I'm glad to not see a plethora of "it's crap!" that would indicate it is, in fact, crap. I'm not going to be depending on this rifle for my life, but I would prefer reliable parts and do very much like the 5R rifling. I'm okay with 1:8, it just means I'll use 62-ish grain bullets vs. 55.

I think you would be better off shooting the lighter grain bullets, as you need a faster twist rate to stabilize heavier bullets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Completely backwards actually. 1:9 is for 55gr and under. 1:8 is for 55gr to 70ish, 1:7 55gr-77gr

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Something tells me that 1:9 could handle 62 gr, I think some military m16s have 1:9 and they shoot 62 gr all the time if I'm not mistaken.

For the most part, 1:8 is fine, until you start chopping the barrel down...

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Okay, but why? And why would they make a 1:8 10.5", then? What's the application?

Genuinely curious - I don't know enough to answer those myself.

I'm a 1:7 guy myself on short barrels. especially 7.5" barrels. Otherwise the bullet wouldn't even get a full twist before leaving the barrel.

There is your answer right there

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Thank you, TXARGUY. Short barrels allow for less complete powder burn which in turn leads to less muzzle velocity. The faster twist will better stabilize the bullet since, again, you have so much less barrel to work with before the bullet exits the barrel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom