7800efdfc1e8c321a40183bf105cd678.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

mrwiggins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2016
    Louisiana
    i shoot one, awesome scopes, great turrets, great reticles, optics are good, but if your wanting a light weight scope, they are very heavy. that said, if your not trying to keep it light, buy with confidence.

edit to add, I run a 4.5-27 and a 1-6

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    I would strongly recommend the StrikeEagle over the Razor, unless you just like to frivolously spend unnecessary dough. The Razor is over-built for reliable use on deployment or on duty...it's tough as nails and as such it's heavy as hell for a 1-6x.

The StrikeEagle is only 18oz, retails for about $369, and is extremely reliable with very clear glass. I've been using one for a little over a year now and it's always held zero and been reliable. After shooting with mine, several friends ditched their AR optics to go with the Strike Eagle.

Vortex has a no-questions asked unlimited lifetime warranty - if it breaks - it's fixed or replaced - no questions asked. Their customer service is also impeccable.

Needless to say, they've earned my trust and my dollars for years to come.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I would strongly recommend the StrikeEagle over the Razor, unless you just like to frivolously spend unnecessary dough. The Razor is over-built for reliable use on deployment or on duty...it's tough as nails and as such it's heavy as hell for a 1-6x.

The StrikeEagle is only 18oz, retails for about $369, and is extremely reliable with very clear glass. I've been using one for a little over a year now and it's always held zero and been reliable. After shooting with mine, several friends ditched their AR optics to go with the Strike Eagle.

Vortex has a no-questions asked unlimited lifetime warranty - if it breaks - it's fixed or replaced - no questions asked. Their customer service is also impeccable.

Needless to say, they've earned my trust and my dollars for years to come.

I don't know what Strike Eagle you looked through, but the one I had and several subsequent ones I've looked through are TERRIBLE. Gross amount of fish eye at low magnification and extreme aberration/fuzz at the edges throughout.

And Vortex's warranty is no longer any better than any of the other major optics Manufacturer's out there. I will give them props for making the other manufacturers step up though.

To me the Primary Arms 1-6 and 1-8 (non platinum) are much better for roughly the same cost.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't know what Strike Eagle you looked through, but the one I had and several subsequent ones I've looked through are TERRIBLE. Gross amount of fish eye at low magnification and extreme aberration/fuzz at the edges throughout.

And Vortex's warranty is no longer any better than any of the other major optics Manufacturer's out there. I will give them props for making the other manufacturers step up though.

To me the Primary Arms 1-6 and 1-8 (non platinum) are much better for roughly the same cost.

Did Primary Arms step up their warranty for these scopes? While I hear they are good at servicing their products their stated warranty is still just a few years last I looked.

Who are these major manufacturers that have stepped up their warranty to be comparable to Vortex?

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Did Primary Arms step up their warranty for these scopes? While I hear they are good at servicing their products their stated warranty is still just a few years last I looked.

Who are these major manufacturers that have stepped up their warranty to be comparable to Vortex?
    Sig has a comparable warranty.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sig has a comparable warranty.

As does Leupold (always has), Athlon and others.

NightForce and Swarovski are still lacking in their warranty, as is Primary Arms.

I am just questioning Mike's claim that Vortex has pushed others to up their warranties, while at the same time, pushing a Primary Arms product that is behind in the warranty department.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

As does Leupold (always has), Athlon and others.

NightForce and Swarovski are still lacking in their warranty, as is Primary Arms.

I am just questioning Mike's claim that Vortex has pushed others to up their warranties, while at the same time, pushing a Primary Arms product that is behind in the warranty department.

Bushnell never had a no fault warranty similar to Vortex until recently.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/bushnell-offers-questions-asked-warranty-optics/

And I can tell you from personal experience Nikon sure didn't.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/no-fault/no-fault.page

As to the PA recommendation, that was merely a suggestion of comparable priced to the Strike Eagle that IME has much better glass. I'm of the opinion that the best warranty is the one you never have to use. And from my experience with every model Vortex scope below the Razor line, it gets used a lot. I don't currently own a single PA optic but I did purchase one of their budget 1-8x24 optics but returned it due to finding a deal too good to pass up on a VX6 1-6 Multigun. I did look through it long enough to determine the glass quality was noticeably better than the Strike Eagle.

I'm a Leupold fan and I've had to use a warranty one time and it was replaced no questions asked. But you already knew about their warranty.

I own some Swarovski optics as well and I've not had to use their warranty, I've hear nothing but reports of outstanding service from long time Swaro owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TacMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    The Vortex Razor HD http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Mounts/vortex-razor-hdii-rifle-scopes.html has served me for a couple of years and has gone through the wingers. I was quite satisfied with my first evaluation. I try as much as I can to pamper the lenses, making sure they are kept clean and free from scratches. However, the scope has been very functional. The scope has gone through a lot: been dunked, dragged, left in the scorching heat of the sun, bumped, stepped on, dropped on hard surfaces, sneezed on, drenched, in fact, it has stood up to a lot of critical conditions. And it sometimes makes me wonder why our tanks aren’t built to be this rugged. The most interesting thing is that the item still looks and feels solid like its new. The adjustments are easy and repeatable; after shooting it returns to zero in a couple of seconds. If I could, I would rate this piece six stars; it’s been the best piece I ever bought.

I got my rifle, had everything installed and off it went to the range. I must confess that it’s been a remarkable experience with this purchase; no regrets whatsoever. I earlier mentioned that the optics tend to slightly back out less than 1x, all that is needed is readjusting it a bit, which was easier to do with the scope attached and outdoors. For me, this scope is outstanding. The clicks are easily adjustable and repeatable; if you wish, you could repeatedly shoot nonstop. Even if you continuously shoot with a 308, it isn’t going to affect this piece one bit. I madly respect its toughness and reliability. If you can afford this glass, you are sure to get the bang for the buck.

This scope was delivered a couple of days back, and I haven’t really taken it out to the range. It is designed to be mounted on a PWS MK216, and because I didn’t make the order early enough, it is due for delivery in 5 months. If I eventually get the rifle, doubtful, though, I will try out this setup and do a review. But for now, the clarity of the optics, as well as the light transmission, is amazing. However, if the lightings still don't satisfy you, then nothing probably would. The reticle perfectly matches my taste cross hairs are just perfect; neither too bulky nor too fine, with a neat and uncluttered layout. The well-light middle dot and its regulator are first class. It offers a crisp, clear dot which is moderately lit under low light conditions on its least setting and bright enough on the maximum setting at daylight. It has a wide and a great view. It has an extended eye relief and a forgiving eye box as they claim. This fits perfectly to cheaper optics like the ones I used in the past. Its "true 1x” seems a little less than they claim it is. The low setting helps you to view with two eyes opened; this could be very helpful in situational awareness for military and LEO personnel. This will also be ideal for CQB, but may not be OK for contact range like the Holo Sight would, as you still see scope shadows. However, this is also great as it has an additional advantage since you can go from contact out to 7oo or even higher easily. Although the scope is not relatively lightweight, it isn’t heavy weighted either; it is moderately weighed.

I am so eager to get this stuff, set it up and start blasting up.

Last edited:

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    ...and from my experience with every model Vortex scope below the Razor line, it gets used a lot.

Can you elaborate and define what you mean when you say "a lot".

Reason being is myself and a dozen friends all own multiple sub-Razor Vortex optics and not one of us has ever had to use their warranty. I also work for a large local dealer and deal directly to law enforcement departments and have yet to hear of a single Vortex warranty issue.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I just bought a PST at the last gun show. I have not had a chance mount it yet.
    Which one did you get? I got the 4-16x50 FFP.
    That is the one I have that needs to go in. I dropped it while moving it to a different rifle. The eye piece hit the steel frame of my chair and now the eye piece focus is off (won't adjust properly) and the reticle is turned a little. I think it hit just right. Still holds zero though.

I also have the 6-24x50 ffp on my 338 Lapua.

I have been very happy with them all around.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My razor got knocked over on my match rifle the other day landed straight on the elevation turret 16lb gun and all. Checked travel and movement which all looked good. I then took it to the range and it was still dead on. That being said it did go tits up a few months ago when 2 screws on the zero stop system came loose. Scope was out of my possession a total of 7 days.

My nightforce never went down and went through hell. It looked pretty rough when we parted ways but still rocking and rolling.

As far as warrenties go there are more than one top tier manufacturers don't offer lifetime warranty. The best warranty is the one you never use.

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Vortex HD Gen 2 begin at $2000.00, I am sure all of the other Vortex scopes previously discussed are very good, but $2k whew...

The 1-6 can be had pretty much anywhere for $1400 and you can occasionally catch them for less than 1300 on sale.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Looking at the requirements in the OP, I am not sure that the Vortex Razor HD would be required. +/- 3" pig hunting can be accomplished with a lesser optic. Maybe not with the prestige of the HD but it will get the job done.

Top Bottom