• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alestex

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston
    All,

I've spent HOURS reading and pondering whether to go with a Smith & Wesson 642 with Crimson Trace grip or a Colt Defender. Mixed use between carry and home. I like the idea of the laser, but not the smaller caliber with 38/38+p versus 45. Defender is a sweet weapon with stopping power of a 45, but a little more maintenance and no laser (could add, but don't have the $'s to put into right now). Cost to shoot is not that much different if you shop around. S&W is $700 and Colt is $900.

Thoughts?

p.s. I'm now convinced there is no "right" answer...just looking for the tie breaker.

Help!
    Military Camp

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Neither. I'm not a fan of revolvers, and as much as I like Colt Defenders, I have seen enough issues with "chopped" down 1911's that I have developed enough distrust for the shorter barrel ones that I wouldn't choose one for a carry gun as a first choice (not without testing a particular one a lot). The shorter barrel you go with on a 1911, the less room for error there is with the feeding of the gun, and the more and more issues I've seen. Take my words with a grain of course. I've known people that have never had problems with Defenders, Kimber Ultra compacts of various types, etc. Though, there's no telling how much or how little some of those people really put those guns through their paces to see if they might experience reliability issues. I've known a lot of people that have bought cool guns like that, put one or 2 mags through them, never had a problem, carried them for years, and somehow believed that "they work just fine" and they would probably never have a problem. I like guns that I've personally fired thousands of rounds through myself, and that I know work and I've personally maintained. That being said.......buy the Defender because revolvers are gay and Defenders are just plain cool. Heck, now that I've talked a bit about the Defenders, and after having seen a couple today I think I want one now because they are really pretty cool.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh this sucks. Darn you for this post! Now you have me thinking about the Defender again. That or an Officer's. After searching google pics, now I'm seriously considering that again. Just when I think I've made up my mind. Me wants. ;) lol

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I routinely carry 4 compacts - one a kimber, one a Randall, one a Wilson and one a High Standard. ALL are routinely taken to the range, where they're fed everything from SD HP's to 165-grain SWC's. None have given me FTF/FTE issues, which I'll admit to being surprised about - but I won't complain!<G> Bottom line is that you may find you need to fine-tune a gun, but generally speaking it SHOULD handle about anything ya throw at it. I've had full-sized guns that've given me more problems than the compacts - it's a case-by-case basis.
    An' Sig, you're right - no matter WHAT you choose to carry, you DO need to exercise it at the range routinely. I'll typically take whatever I'm carrying to the range, fire it, clean and then put it back into the "rotation", just to make sure everything I have is good to go.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ....an' now, lemme REALLY say sumthin' ta tick folks off...

IN MY OPINION, if you're totin' a gun with a laser figgerin' that's gonna make up for sight picture, you are BEGGING for a problem. When SHTF, you're gonna revert to training - so you whup out the gun, look for the little dot.....an' realize it ain't workin'. What are ya gonna do? By the time you figure that out, I'm gonna have several AIMED rounds down range - an' so will the bad guy.
    Sorry - but the li'l "gadgets" on SD guns do NOT play in my toybox. With a purty good selection of handguns, rifles an' shotguns, not ONE has laser. Period. Thought about 'em, but between worryin' about bein' traceable in a smokey/dusty environment, an' concern w/a failer, I figger if I can't see 'em well 'nuff to pop a cap on 'em, they can't see me, neither - so I'll simply hunker down an' wait 'em out.

Okierifleman

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    ....an' now, lemme REALLY say sumthin' ta tick folks off...

IN MY OPINION, if you're totin' a gun with a laser figgerin' that's gonna make up for sight picture, you are BEGGING for a problem. When SHTF, you're gonna revert to training - so you whup out the gun, look for the little dot.....an' realize it ain't workin'. What are ya gonna do? By the time you figure that out, I'm gonna have several AIMED rounds down range - an' so will the bad guy.
    Sorry - but the li'l "gadgets" on SD guns do NOT play in my toybox. With a purty good selection of handguns, rifles an' shotguns, not ONE has laser. Period. Thought about 'em, but between worryin' about bein' traceable in a smokey/dusty environment, an' concern w/a failer, I figger if I can't see 'em well 'nuff to pop a cap on 'em, they can't see me, neither - so I'll simply hunker down an' wait 'em out.

Now G, we would never expect you to say anything to tick anyone off.............

Okierifleman

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Be nice, son (an' he really IS) - or ah ain't gonna let ya shoot the Colt Series 70 I picked up today......

G, I dont want to shoot that Colt, I would use it for a paperweight. I want to shoot that 3" Wilson!!! When you come back to H-Town, I will line up a range trip/dinner/?????? for us

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    G, I dont want to shoot that Colt, I would use it for a paperweight. I want to shoot that 3" Wilson!!! When you come back to H-Town, I will line up a range trip/dinner/?????? for us

Ya might wanna reconsider that....

1911.gif

An' it better be a GOOD dinner...<G>

alestex

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. New Colt is by my side as I type this! I already feel better...lol. Tomorrow I'll be at the range puttin a 100 or so rounds through it...and looking forward to every one. Now I get to start picking upgrades, holsters, etc. :-)

midnightrider

Mar 6, 2008
    Now that you carry the Colt

I bought the Colt Defender (older model than you have) and it was a love hate relationship. My experience and other on the CC forum (not this one) was mixed. The Defenders tend to throw brass in all directions and every few of them in the direction of the shooter. I replaced 1 pair of glasses and have a scar on my forehead as a reminder. I took it to a gunsmith twice and the result was the same, brass in the forehead, not every-time, but when you're trying to aim on a target you tend to wince in expectation which is not good in a life or death situation.
    All that being said, I sold the Defender and have regretted it ever since. I carry a Kimber CDP II Ultra now, but I will get another newer Defender soon, but won't use it as a carry until I'm sure it's 100%. I have had and have lots of 1911's in 3, 4, and 5 inch, but that Colt was my first and guys you know how that is....

Looking forward to a range report

coltdf2.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom