Join TexasGunTalk

Opposing the Transgender Movement

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by grasshopperglock, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Interesting perspectives thus far, I'm really appreciative y'all are willing to share. We've thought about homeschooling, and we still are but for another reason. My daughter is advancing rapidly in gymnastics to the point she'll soon be faced with a pretty important decision, that being whether to spend basically all day in the gym honing her craft and homeschooling, or scaling back her gymnastics to stay in her regular school.

We love the public school she's in, everyone from the janitorial staff up to the principal are wonderful folks. It's a (very) high performing school, and it's plain obvious the reason it ranks so highly is the parents and educators are on the same page. We know these teachers, some live in the neighborhood and our kids hang out together, etc. PTO events are pretty popular ;) The kids have a lot of pride in their school, and it shows. Academically the only kids who have a tough time with the standardized tests are the special needs kids, but the school still achieves 98-99% achievement rates. They do a little science fair type thing each year (and an art fair, etc.) and it's pretty amazing to walk the halls and have 10 year olds excitedly explaining the human circulatory system to you in detail, including various disorders and treatments. Others demonstrating the robot they built that follows voice commands. The younger kids explaining whether phenomena and patterns, bird migration science, etc.

So I mention all that only to give a little picture of why this decision for my daughter will be a pretty tough one. For a public school, it's simply outstanding.

2. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Sounds like he's already on the way and doing good. He's not one of the layarounds and do nothings. You done good.

One other thing. The military has an excellent crash course in growing up. If every 18 yr old had to do 2 years we wouldn't have near the problems we have today with the younger generation.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  3. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I would recommend great caution in sacrificing so much for an extracurricular activity. This is coming from someone who had two kids with similar opportunities. The extracurricular activity will only last a short time. The things sacrificed can carry a long term price tag.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  4. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I hear ya, we’re maybe a year out still and we’re already stressing the decision.

5. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Good. Most people enter adulthood too casually.

Wildcat Diva and karlac like this.
  6. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    Unless your kid is a prodigy in gymnastics I'd recommend against it... I taught at a high school that is one of the few in Texas to ever hoist a national championship (yes they used to have them) in basketball and they have sent exactly 1 player to the NBA in 25 years.

I don't know if gymnastics has AAU but typically if kids are good enough to go pro or have the potential their parents send them to AAU. Almost all of the kids who go pro in basketball go to AAU schools. To give you an idea of how competitive it is. 700,000 people are involved in AAU.

This is the same for any sport or extracurricular. Some of us are "good" at what we do. I was pretty good at video games.. even played them competitively.. Now, there is no chance if I was 15 again that I would be able to compete with the professionals.

Everyone thinks their kid is a star, I understand it, I can't empathize because I've never had a child, but what I do know is the chances of them becoming a professional at any sport or extracurricular are extremely slim. If she's serious and you're serious about her being professionally, or even semi-professional, competitive AAU is going to be your route unless we're talking olympian level, in which case you need to go talk to the olympic trainers.

Ole Cowboy and deemus like this.
  7. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I think AAU is not into gymnastics, pretty sure they have their own thing. But your post is spot on.

My son played select baseball. They had a great team. One national tourney they played a team from Michigan. That team all had schollies to a D-1 school, like Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, etc. They had 8 pitchers who all threw 90+ and were over 6'3".

My kid had offers from several colleges, and had select team offers that we would have paid zero for him to play. But against the competition at that national tournament of 120 teams, he would not have made 90% of those teams.

8. Brains

Brains TGT Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    She's only been in the sport for almost a year and a half total, and up till now she's been in the 'recreational' gym instead of the more serious one? She's testing into level 4 now, but I'll admit I don't know the details of what that actually means. We're being told she should have been working with the team coaches much earlier, instead of the 'rec' gym. Makes sense, because she advances crazy fast in the occasional private lessons with the team coaches. My wife is much more clear on all this, it makes my head spin trying to keep up with all the terminology and stuff. At any rate, she advances through their levels very quickly, certainly faster than her peers. Whether or not she's olympics bound, I have no idea; guess we'll wait and see. But they're letting us know the path she's on leads to a lot more time in the gym and very likely homeschooling.

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  9. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Life long friend of mine was a golfer, full ride to UT on Golf, he was good, a top player in Texas etc etc. He came from a well to do family and he wanted to go pro, so dad backed him for 3 years to get into the money.

I am not a golfer so never kept up with him but one day I get a call he is passing thru town and needs a place to stay. I say sure:

3 years on the circuit and he came to realize that being good, REALLY GOOD was not REALLY GOOD enough.

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Short version of a story I've told before -

I was a really good bassoonist. Out of high school, my instructor got me a seat with a semi-pro orchestra mainly composed of a floating assemblage of teachers, private instructors, and pros who were between jobs.

It took me just two rehearsals to understand I would never make a living as a musician.

In any technically, semi-objectively quantifiable performance discipline, being really good is exactly the same as being nowhere near good enough to ever accomplish anything.

deemus and Ole Cowboy like this.