• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Here in The Alamo City OPEN CARRY will get you "checked" by any LEO who is nearby, to see if your are licensed 100% of the time.
    (The last time that I was "checked" was at a laundromat, when I bent over to pick-up some "dropped quarters" & exposed my pistol.)
    The PCT 4 Constable came over to me & QUIETLY/POLITELY said, "It was just reported to me that you are wearing a gun. Are you?"
    I said, "YES". He then asked if I had my handgun license with me & I said, "YES".
    He requested to see my CHL & I showed it to him, he looked briefly at the license & then said, "FINE. What are you carrying?" - I said, "a SIG-SAUER P225" & the Constable smiled & said, "NICE PIECE", shook my hand & left.
    (That "license check" seems to me to be VERY typical of CHL interactions with our local LEOs. = Most Texas LEOs seem to see handgun licensees as "allies".)

Fwiw, I've carried openly (other than "out of town"/on the farm) exactly ONCE & that was at our Alamo Shrine on the FIRST DAY of lawful open carry. - MANY licensed handgun carriers carried OPENLY at the Alamo that day.
    (YES, I was stopped & questioned by an Alamo Ranger, who looked at my license & who thereafter said NOTHING except "OK".)

yours, satx
    Texas SOT

Cobber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In Indiana, amazingly, the Supreme Court has ruled that open carry of a firearm, absent other facts, does not give an officer reasonable suspicion to effect a Terry Stop. But lots of people don't know that, including some LEOs, who still call our license to carry a "concealed carry permit."

Although we don't have open carry here as a matter of law, the law is silent on how a firearm is to be carried. Which is how it should work in the USA. (IOW that which is not barred is allowed.)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    In Indiana, amazingly, the Supreme Court has ruled that open carry of a firearm, absent other facts, does not give an officer reasonable suspicion to effect a Terry Stop. But lots of people don't know that, including some LEOs, who still call our license to carry a "concealed carry permit."

Although we don't have open carry here as a matter of law, the law is silent on how a firearm is to be carried. Which is how it should work in the USA. (IOW that which is not barred is allowed.)

Cobber,

IF you are "offended" by being "checked", my suggestion is to NOT visit San Antonio.= Local LEOs are near 100% "unfailing polite" but they WILL ask if you are openly carrying & probably 75% of businesses PROHIBIT OC.

yours, satx

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

You are right.

No more than driving gives me the authority to stop and check for a license, simple open carry does not provide me with reasonable suspicion needed for a detention/Terry Stop. Now. I may know something you don't sure politely ask questions if there is time, but understand there could have been a robbery with a suspect that looked like you next door...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I am almost always carrying on my hip these days and a CC somewhere else. Most people don’t notice it. I have a vest to wear into places like Walmart so it’s not as visible. It’s really no big deal.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    To All,

Here in The Alamo City OPEN CARRY will get you "checked" by any LEO who is nearby, to see if your are licensed 100% of the time.
    (The last time that I was "checked" was at a laundromat, when I bent over to pick-up some "dropped quarters" & exposed my pistol.)
    The PCT 4 Constable came over to me & QUIETLY/POLITELY said, "It was just reported to me that you are wearing a gun. Are you?"
    I said, "YES". He then asked if I had my handgun license with me & I said, "YES".
    He requested to see my CHL & I showed it to him, he looked briefly at the license & then said, "FINE. What are you carrying?" - I said, "a SIG-SAUER P225" & the Constable smiled & said, "NICE PIECE", shook my hand & left.
    (That "license check" seems to me to be VERY typical of CHL interactions with our local LEOs. = Most Texas LEOs seem to see handgun licensees as "allies".)

Fwiw, I've carried openly (other than "out of town"/on the farm) exactly ONCE & that was at our Alamo Shrine on the FIRST DAY of lawful open carry. - MANY licensed handgun carriers carried OPENLY at the Alamo that day.
    (YES, I was stopped & questioned by an Alamo Ranger, who looked at my license & who thereafter said NOTHING except "OK".)

yours, satx
    As noted elsewhere, you are agreeing to what could be an illegal stop. I guess San Antonio needs every LTC holder to start open carrying 24/7 to break this type of behavior. Either that or I am sure we can sell some LTC badges for LTC holders to "proudly" display (sarcasm).
    I have to admit, I open carry only when going to my ranch land. I always open carry there because of critters.
    I have seriously thought though if we want constitutional carry in Texas that we should encourage all LTC holders to open carry everywhere for at least a week at a time to get the population unafraid of open carry. I say that even though I don't personally want to open carry most of the time. I prefer to appear anonymous.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    As noted elsewhere, you are agreeing to what could be an illegal stop. I guess San Antonio needs every LTC holder to start open carrying 24/7 to break this type of behavior. Either that or I am sure we can sell some LTC badges for LTC holders to "proudly" display (sarcasm).
    I have to admit, I open carry only when going to my ranch land. I always open carry there because of critters.
    I have seriously thought though if we want constitutional carry in Texas that we should encourage all LTC holders to open carry everywhere for at least a week at a time to get the population unafraid of open carry. I say that even though I don't personally want to open carry most of the time. I prefer to appear anonymous.

This is actually how to do it...

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Rotor,

As an old retired peace officer, I do NOT "do well" with "COULD BE" or "MIGHT BE" or even "MAYBE".
    (So far I have seen "no bright line" answer to whether the local custom of LEOs to "check" every OPEN CARRIER is lawful or NOT LAWFUL.
    I do KNOW that the stated policy of SAPD, BCSD & all 4 Constable's Offices is that they ALWAYS check OPEN CARRIERS to see if you are licensed.

Do any of our members KNOW FOR SURE whether "checking for having a handgun license" is actually a "Terry violation" or not. = IF you are a member of the Texas Bar, that would be NICE & far more persuasive than some NON-attorney's OPINION..

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Rotor,

As an old retired peace officer, I do NOT "do well" with "COULD BE" or "MIGHT BE" or even "MAYBE".
    (So far I have seen "no bright line" answer to whether the local custom of LEOs to "check" every OPEN CARRIER is lawful or NOT LAWFUL.
    I do KNOW that the stated policy of SAPD, BCSD & all 4 Constable's Offices is that they ALWAYS check OPEN CARRIERS to see if you are licensed.

Do any of our members KNOW FOR SURE whether "checking for having a handgun license" is actually a "Terry violation" or not. = IF you are a member of the Texas Bar, that would be NICE & far more persuasive than some NON-attorney's OPINION..

yours, satx
    I guess the way you find out is to ask if you are being detained and if not then you walk away. If you are then arrested you can find out when you sue for false arrest. If you were not carrying and a cop came up and asked for your ID what would you do? As a retired cop you might give it but should you? Same thing with searching your car on a traffic stop. You know the routine as a retired LEO as to what is legal and what is not. Don't you? Do you think it is legal to stop a law abiding citizen and ID him for no reason except that he was being a law abiding citizen?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm a leftie, and I don't care....

ZX9RCAM,

GREAT. Perhaps the Legislature should ask you/me WHO can lawfully carry, as they seem to be LOW on "plain old horse sense"..
    (I'm a "wrong-handed guy", too.)

IF the TX Legislature did that, I suspect you/I would announce TX-wide CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY that same day.
    (CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I guess the way you find out is to ask if you are being detained and if not then you walk away. If you are then arrested you can find out when you sue for false arrest. If you were not carrying and a cop came up and asked for your ID what would you do? As a retired cop you might give it but should you? Same thing with searching your car on a traffic stop. You know the routine as a retired LEO as to what is legal and what is not. Don't you? Do you think it is legal to stop a law abiding citizen and ID him for no reason except that he was being a law abiding citizen?

Rotor,

So you do NOT know the correct answer, either??

yours, satx

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Rotor,

So you do NOT know the correct answer, either??

yours, satx
    How about this, can you show me definitive proof that the San Antonio policy is to stop and ID every honest citizen open carrying and I will submit it to GOA for review.
    I also asked how you as a cop would have handled the situation and got no answer.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Shout out to the Southpaws!

John Galt,

There is a fairly sizeable group of southpaws on TGT & who are always in "their right mind."
    (I've long forgotten how many people on TGT have asked me what kind of holster that I carry a particular kind of handgun in.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    How about this, can you show me definitive proof that the San Antonio policy is to stop and ID every honest citizen open carrying and I will submit it to GOA for review.
    I also asked how you as a cop would have handled the situation and got no answer.

rotor,

IF you want PROOF (of the OBVIOUS local policy), I suggest that YOU look for it. - "I have a life".
    (IMVHO, the VAST MAJORITY of people who DEMAND that I PROVE something are simply "too dog lazy" & slothful to go find the answer for him/her self.)

Fwiw, I'm considered to be a "fairly skilled researcher" on genealogy/history subjects & I now charge 60.oo per hour, with a 2-hour minimum charge, for doing research.

yours, satx

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    rotor,

IF you want PROOF (of the OBVIOUS local policy), I suggest that YOU look for it. - "I have a life".

yours, satx
    Am I to take that as you would have stopped honest law abiding people to ID them. We have another LEO on site that said not legal.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Sounds like my next trip to San Antonio will be fun. Where do you suggest one is most likely to be stopped and asked there in San Antonio?

Top Bottom