• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tactically I think it's stupid as hell to carry a firearm in your back pocket with the grip sticking out

Frank59,

ImVho, PURSE CARRY is about as DUMB, as IF a lady has her purse snatched (as happens HUNDREDS of times each day), she has:
    1.Lost her means of personal protection
    AND
    2. She has ARMED a criminal, who may well use that pistol UPON her or some other innocent person.

ImVho, either purse or pocket "carry" are about equally UNWISE.

just myOPINON, satx
    Guns International

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    A gf carries owb 3 o’clock, but she has a large purse that she keeps on the same hip.

That’s the only use of a purse while carrying I approve of.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    In Indiana, amazingly, the Supreme Court has ruled that open carry of a firearm, absent other facts, does not give an officer reasonable suspicion to effect a Terry Stop. But lots of people don't know that, including some LEOs, who still call our license to carry a "concealed carry permit."

Although we don't have open carry here as a matter of law, the law is silent on how a firearm is to be carried. Which is how it should work in the USA. (IOW that which is not barred is allowed.)

Not the same in Texas. In fact, when open carry was allowed five years ago, the SAPD chief put out a memo to all officers advising them of that fact.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I find it shocking that you claim San Antonio police have been given the directive to defy the 4th amendment and unlawfully stop law abiding citizens without reasonable suspicion. In your case you voluntarily gave up your rights but if this is a department policy to break the law don't you as an honorable law abiding citizen think it should be investigated? Is this a directive of Acevedo when he was chief?
    The other LEO I referred to was Cycleguy2300. He seems to understand the legality of a legal stop in post #26.

It is not the directive. In fact, it's quite the opposite and I have firsthand knowledge of that.

And Acevedo was never the chief here. It's been McManus for quite some time...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I agree with you on all the points you make. Being sort of mildly handicapped, I would have a difficult time with the physical aspect of retainment. Besides, being older and slower, I want that extra second of "surprise". In my opinion the best part for me about OC is not having to worry about printing or accidentally flashing.

But having to dig through a layer of clothing to access your firearm isn't a hindrance? I can tell you from firsthand experience that I draw my weapon quicker while OC'ing.

And "printing" or "accidental flashing" (I hope you are talking firearms here!) has never been against the law in Texas, even before it had open carry.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    This is a very reasonable answer. What concerned me was the claim that it was a San Antonio policy to stop every open carry person and ask for ID. To me that is a very frightening abuse of police power, the 4th amendment protections, and just shall we say a gestapo police attitude. I can't believe that this would be a written policy but may perhaps be a verbal don't put it in writing policy. Hopefully this is not still going on. The retired individual would not clarify.

The claim it is or ever was a San Antonio policy is pure fantasy (i.e. BS).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    But having to dig through a layer of clothing to access your firearm isn't a hindrance? I can tell you from firsthand experience that I draw my weapon quicker while OC'ing.

And "printing" or "accidental flashing" (I hope you are talking firearms here!) has never been against the law in Texas, even before it had open carry.
    With practice, you can draw from under a shirt tail about as fast as you can from OC. But it definitely takes practice.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Mostly I carry concealed, semi concealed iwb not covered. HEB has no open carry so on the way in I'll pull out my t-shirt to cover up. One time I was doing it on the way to the store, two guys behind me saw me and one said to the other "hope he doesn't shoot anyone". I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    To All,

Here in The Alamo City OPEN CARRY will get you "checked" by any LEO who is nearby, to see if your are licensed 100% of the time.
    (The last time that I was "checked" was at a laundromat, when I bent over to pick-up some "dropped quarters" & exposed my pistol.)
    The PCT 4 Constable came over to me & QUIETLY/POLITELY said, "It was just reported to me that you are wearing a gun. Are you?"
    I said, "YES". He then asked if I had my handgun license with me & I said, "YES".
    He requested to see my CHL & I showed it to him, he looked briefly at the license & then said, "FINE. What are you carrying?" - I said, "a SIG-SAUER P225" & the Constable smiled & said, "NICE PIECE", shook my hand & left.
    (That "license check" seems to me to be VERY typical of CHL interactions with our local LEOs. = Most Texas LEOs seem to see handgun licensees as "allies".)

Fwiw, I've carried openly (other than "out of town"/on the farm) exactly ONCE & that was at our Alamo Shrine on the FIRST DAY of lawful open carry. - MANY licensed handgun carriers carried OPENLY at the Alamo that day.
    (YES, I was stopped & questioned by an Alamo Ranger, who looked at my license & who thereafter said NOTHING except "OK".)

yours, satx
    I was visiting the Alamo and carrying my 1911 with a shirt concealing it. While inside a Ranger came over and asked if I was carrying, I said yes is that not allowed? I was pretty sure I didn't see a sign on the way in. He said it's legal as long as you have a CHL, he asked me to step to the side and show my license. As I was showing him my license I asked if my gun was obvious, he said he was trained to notice. It wasn't a bad experience, he was friendly about it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was visiting the Alamo and carrying my 1911 with a shirt concealing it. While inside a Ranger came over and asked if I was carrying, I said yes is that not allowed? I was pretty sure I didn't see a sign on the way in. He said it's legal as long as you have a CHL, he asked me to step to the side and show my license. As I was showing him my license I asked if my gun was obvious, he said he was trained to notice. It wasn't a bad experience, he was friendly about it.
    Isn't that the same as asking someone open carrying to see their LTC?

MarkTheNewf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Not
    I carry concealed as best I can. I've shifted to OWB high-riding holsters for comfort. I'd rather not have everyone know I'm carrying but am not paranoid if some do because small town Texas is like that.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    You voluntarily gave up your legal rights, I might have done the same in that circumstance. But you did give up your 4thA rights. Unless the trooper had reasonable suspicion that you had or were about to commit an illegal act he shouldn't have asked for ID.

Top Bottom