• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backatcha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    I am having a tough time finding some optics that will mount on my AK. The gunsmiths do not seem to want to touch it (to drill necessary holes to add picatinny plate) becuase they say the metal is tough and is a pain to drill. Anyone have any other options?
    DK Firearms

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Ultimak has a few options. Look at the primaryarms site for some examples. Are you looking for a red dot or a magnified option?

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Ultimak has a few options. Look at the primaryarms site for some examples. Are you looking for a red dot or a magnified option?

were out of stock on the gas tube rail last week or I was going to order one

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ultimak and an Aimpoint in a low ring. Either that or hunt down something like a POSP if you've got the side mount on your rifle.

But really, get an Ultimak and an Aimpoint. Just remember that rail will burn you bad after about half a magazine.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Belarus kobra
    DSCN1774.jpg
    DSCN1776.jpg
    DSCN1775.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I don't trust those to hold zero and you can't use iron sights with an optic mounted.

Low ring and Aimpoint Comp M2 or PRO on an Ultimak will give you a 1/3 cowitness.

You can use iron sights they make a a new notch that's 1/3 cowitness

sent from the bathroom

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    You can use iron sights they make a a new notch that's 1/3 cowitness

And they've been tested to hold zero when installed properly it's not a pos stamped cover with a rail welded on

sent from the bathroom

sent from the bathroom

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I don't trust those to hold zero
    Mine does; it fits really, really tightly on my Yugo (so much so that I ditched the Yugo top-cover lock-button):

eulkpg.jpg

I've tested its ability to hold zero by test-firing, lifting up the top-cover and cleaning the rifle, then closing the rifle and test-firing again. I was only able to shoot at 50 yards, but it was hitting in exactly the same place on paper as before.

One downside is... it's expensive, and a traditional AK side-mount might be the simplest/cheapest/best for most folks.

Last edited:

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    ... it fits really, really tightly on my Yugo (so much so that I ditched the Yugo top-cover lock-button): ...

Exactly how it works if installed correctly.

One mistake some (plenty) of folks will make when installing is that they will decide that doing it correctly is just too hard. What they'll do is discard the front sight leaf spring to make installation easier. That spring needs to be there.

The installation becomes easier if you get you a 2.5-inch c-clamp and a small strip of 0.25 inch-wide wood from Lowe's. Take that gas tube off and use that clamp and strip of wood to push the front piece of that topcover down so you can drive that front pin through there.

Pay attention to the note on that TWS site that tells you that a telescoping or tubular recoil rod isn't going to work for you. They have what you need on that site for another 12 bucks. This because of the angle cut into the rear latch that's needed to secure that topcover.

That rear peep sight is actually worth having.

It will hold zero as well as anything else. Not that the AK's that most of us own are precision instruments, anyway.

As an alternative, I suppose I'd choose one of those RS Products rails that Primary Arms carries. Ideally one that's biased either front or rear.

Neither choice is cheap. If your time is worth money, though, it may be cheaper than running around town trying to get someone to drill into your AK.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I received their rear peep-sight about 3 weeks after I got the rail; it's not adjustable in any way, but I do happen to like it :)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    but your front sight is adjustable

Yeah, but it's a pain in the ass, and as screwed up as the AK platform is, if you still have that junk slant brake on the end, your point of impact will change if you use a different ammo brand. Sometimes pretty dramatically.

I use a Mojo rear peep because that's adjustable. Centered my front sight in the ears and lined everything up by adjusting the rear.

Top Bottom