• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Got a Nikon Monarch 3 5-20x44 with BDC today and don't really know a whole lot about scopes. All I know is it's discontinued and gets good reviews. And I got a good deal.

Main questions are:

1) Would this be best on 5.56 or .308?
    2) What about these rings? I was told they were "heavy duty" but they look like Wal-Mart to me.

Would like to put it on top of one of my ARs, or my PTR91 MSR (optic ready)

Thanks
    becb78edbea447fc0e3e6a7037250405.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Guns International

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    oh and about the rings, i guess I'll use them until budget clears up.

i have seen the rail mounts with MOA this and that, and never really figured out why the needed them.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    They're primarily to get out there further. Lots of scopes can run out of adjustment depending on the round and the range. If you're shooting inside of 600 yards or so, it shouldn't be a problem

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I would install it on a rifle you will use it on the most and recheck the level of it, then use blue loctite on the rings and torque it.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    They're primarily to get out there further. Lots of scopes can run out of adjustment depending on the round and the range. If you're shooting inside of 600 yards or so, it shouldn't be a problem
    makes sense now. I remember reading about that record long distance shot and the wild mount they had on it.
    I would install it on a rifle you will use it on the most and recheck the level of it, then use blue loctite on the rings and torque it.
    I just mounted it to my PTR91 MSR since it doesn't have any sights. Need to push it forward another 1/2 inch or so, I may get a mount for it rather than slide the rings back.

Until I build a nice bolt gun, this is the most capable long distance shooter I have.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    So I've decided I want to get a cantilever mount to give me a little more eye relief

any recommendations? Found some highly rated ones on Amazon... do I need some fancy name brand one. Do I need MOA this or that for a semi-auto 308 (PTR91)?

Sent from my SIG Sauer

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So I've decided I want to get a cantilever mount to give me a little more eye relief

any recommendations? Found some highly rated ones on Amazon... do I need some fancy name brand one. Do I need MOA this or that for a semi-auto 308 (PTR91)?

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    I have used the Burris PEPR rings with good results. They should be perfectly adequate for the PTR.
    Do not forget the blue loctite.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The research I've been doing has all been very, very positive. I got mine in a trade, and am pretty happy about it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

I have one that has an adjustable objective. I hunted in CO this year, and it was awesome. You zero it at 100 yds, then you dial the end of the scope to your actual shooting distance.

Downed a nice mulie at about 130 yds. But when I was preparing to go, I was shooting out to 300 yds, and it worked great.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I have one that has an adjustable objective. I hunted in CO this year, and it was awesome. You zero it at 100 yds, then you dial the end of the scope to your actual shooting distance.

Downed a nice mulie at about 130 yds. But when I was preparing to go, I was shooting out to 300 yds, and it worked great.
    mine has a side focus for distance. not sure how it works.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

mine has a side focus for distance. not sure how it works.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    That is parallax adjustment. It doesn't adjust the scope for shooting distance (elevation change) but does make any errant eye misalignment a non issue.

Worth reading up on. Fairly simple concept but I can't describe it in enough detail for you to understand it properly.

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    That is parallax adjustment. It doesn't adjust the scope for shooting distance but does make any errant eye misalignment a non issue.

Worth reading up on. Fairly simple concept but I can't describe it in enough detail for you to understand it properly.
    I'll have to read up and fiddle with it. I've noticed the parallax and would be nice to eliminate it.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Sent from my SIG Sauer

I would say nothing wrong with the rings on it. But I was going to say... seems like it would sit a little low on an AR platform. Cantilever would help in that area. I like the warne mounts.

How far you plan on shooting out to? That'll be your deciding factor on any extra MOA built into the base

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I would say nothing wrong with the rings on it. But I was going to say... seems like it would sit a little low on an AR platform. Cantilever would help in that area. I like the warne mounts.

How far you plan on shooting out to? That'll be your deciding factor on any extra MOA built into the base
    Welp, that's the big question. I haven't even shot a gun in about a year. And that was pistol.

I would say either as far as 308 factory loads will take me, and as far as I can find around DFW.

As far as mounts, I looking at the Burris PEPR as recommended here.... reeeeeeaaaalllly tempted to get a generic copy on amazon though with 4.5 stars for $16.....

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Geez... one of these guys on Amazon is using a $20 mount with a Leupold and 7.62x54R... I swear these aluminum parts machined in China are all about tolerances. Otherwise I think durability is similar.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Top Bottom