• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welp, that's the big question. I haven't even shot a gun in about a year. And that was pistol.

I would say either as far as 308 factory loads will take me, and as far as I can find around DFW.

As far as mounts, I looking at the Burris PEPR as recommended here.... reeeeeeaaaalllly tempted to get a generic copy on amazon though with 4.5 stars for $16.....

Sent from my SIG Sauer

as far as I can find around DFW This will be the deciding factor for sure.
    I'm not a .308 guy... but your looking at 800-1200yrds I would say.
    Gun Zone Deals

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    as far as I can find around DFW This will be the deciding factor for sure.
    I'm not a .308 guy... but your looking at 800-1200yrds I would say.
    yeah, I'm not a huge 308 guy either. I eventually plan to build a bolt gun that is a million times more than I'll ever be capable of shooting. 338 lapua seems obnoxious enough.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Geez... one of these guys on Amazon is using a $20 mount with a Leupold and 7.62x54R... I swear these aluminum parts machined in China are all about tolerances. Otherwise I think durability is similar.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Don't do it man... that Monarch deserves much more respect than that....;)

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    anyone use the Nikon mounts?

is the 20 moa pointless with a BDC reticle? the 308 version is 20 moa, 223 version is 0. Don't want to hinder performance at 100y. I think the BDC is good to around 500 with 308

Sent from my SIG Sauer

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You're confusing the issue. The 20 MOA mount for any rifle has a specific use. In my case it allows my scope adjustment when zeroed at 200 yds to be almost at the very bottom of it's travel. That way I can dial in the drop as the range increases. The 20 mount allows enough to cover well over 1500 yds if needed.

Look at it this way. If you zero at 100 or 200 yds and your vertical travel is in the middle you probably won't have enough "UP" to dial in a longer shot.

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Primary Arms is having a sale on mounts 15% off.

i got the email... I was actually in the area today and haven't been to the new location yet. Got so busy with work I forgot haha. Back in Fort Worth now.

You're confusing the issue. The 20 MOA mount for any rifle has a specific use. In my case it allows my scope adjustment when zeroed at 200 yds to be almost at the very bottom of it's travel. That way I can dial in the drop as the range increases. The 20 mount allows enough to cover well over 1500 yds if needed.

Look at it this way. If you zero at 100 or 200 yds and your vertical travel is in the middle you probably won't have enough "UP" to dial in a longer shot.

after some deep concentration, I get it, thanks

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Ok, been doing some research.

with a 20moa base, and 34 MOA total adjustment, I'm really at the extreme at 100y (supposedly 4 moa at 100y). So with say 17 moa up, needing 16 moa to zero out, do i run the risk of not being able to zero?

Also, at the far end of adjustment, I understand I lose windage.

Am I better off with a 0 MOA mount? ~17 moa od adjustment one way or the other, plus another ~500 in the BDC? What's that, 900+ yards?

I doubt I'll take the 308 out any further. This is just to get my feet wet until I can get my hands on a nice bolt gun.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    double tap

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    46d840d30defff9414d80658e920518a.jpg

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

with a 20moa base, and 34 MOA total adjustment, I'm really at the extreme at 100y (supposedly 4 moa at 100y). So with say 17 moa up, needing 16 moa to zero out, do i run the risk of not being able to zero?

Am I better off with a 0 MOA mount? ~17 moa od adjustment one way or the other, plus another ~500 in the BDC? What's that, 900+ yards?

I doubt I'll take the 308 out any further. This is just to get my feet wet until I can get my hands on a nice bolt gun.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

I'm using a Vortex Viper on a 6.5 CM. By using a 20 mount the Up travel is almost at the bottom. The Viper has shims to place under the UP adjustment so that if I need to return to zero I dial to the bottom. No counting turns or clicks. Dial to the bottom and set it on the zero mark. That's my 200 yd zero. Takes a lot of guesswork out of "Now just how many clicks did I go up to get here" when it's time to return to zero.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Food for thought. Don't worry about dialing windage. It's best to hold your windage if your scope has horizontal hash marks for wind holds.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    ended up getting the Nikon M-223 because. of the same day shipping on Amazon and I have major instant gratification issues (didn't even open the package that day). I also have weird issues with "M-223" being laser-etched. and using it on a .308, but the 20 MOA M-308 might not have zeroed out at 100y

Anyhow, the cantilever thing was pointless since the PTR91 has that slap-charge (not anymore lol). I still managed to get within eye relief specs though.

The small increase in height does help getting a good cheek weld with and not burying my chin in the dirt if I shoot prone

Thanks for everyone's help!
    565728fee6d19127c8c57db43294bfdc.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    You're taking the same route I took with scopes many years ago. I've got a lot of Nikon scopes and mounts. And they work great on ARs. But as you age and your eyes begin to deteriorate, good glass begins to become more important. When your reach that point, take look at Vortex's Viper PST line, Burris XTR and some Leupolds in the $1000 range. It makes a difference. With scopes and mounts, you have to pay for quality. The older you get, the more you need to pay to be able to play.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ended up getting the Nikon M-223 because. of the same day shipping on Amazon and I have major instant gratification issues (didn't even open the package that day). I also have weird issues with "M-223" being laser-etched. and using it on a .308, but the 20 MOA M-308 might not have zeroed out at 100y

Anyhow, the cantilever thing was pointless since the PTR91 has that slap-charge (not anymore lol). I still managed to get within eye relief specs though.

The small increase in height does help getting a good cheek weld with and not burying my chin in the dirt if I shoot prone

Thanks for everyone's help! View attachment 133973

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Cool man... Good looking Rifle

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    You're taking the same route I took with scopes many years ago. I've got a lot of Nikon scopes and mounts. And they work great on ARs. But as you age and your eyes begin to deteriorate, good glass begins to become more important. When your reach that point, take look at Vortex's Viper PST line, Burris XTR and some Leupolds in the $1000 range. It makes a difference. With scopes and mounts, you have to pay for quality. The older you get, the more you need to pay to be able to play.
    I can understand. I only 37, with a very minor nearsightedness and astigmatism. But having lived my life woth 15/20, it feels like I'm losing my vision.

I talk aboit building a bolt gun often. when that day comes I'll likely have some absurd glass. on it. But for a PTR91, this is probably better than the gun
    Cool man... Good looking Rifle
    thanks

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Emccaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2018
    Dallas
    Use that on a 308. A little too much power for a 5.56 AR IMO. If you have both I'd buy something a little smaller for an AR but that may just be the Army in me talking. Rings look fine!

Top Bottom