• ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I ordered a “Baofeng UV-5RTP Two-Way Radio Dual Band VHF UHF FM 8Watt”
    It was only $26

I don’t have a license yet and not sure if/when I’d get one. I’m mainly interested in it for emergencies
    I’m just curious if anyone out there could enlighten me on the pros of having one. Like what kind of frequencies I could pick up or range of frequencies. I’ve been told this one can’t pick up digital frequencies such as what the police and EMS use.
    I’m active in/around Houston, San Antonio and Lubbock areas fyi
    I’d rather have a radio and not need it than not have one and need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Take the test asap, its cheap, a cinch to pass with a few hours of practice tests and a little reading if your not up to speed on basic radio and electrical theory. Seriously, do a practice test on your phone every time you poop and you could pass the Tech exam no problems in a week.

If you want to listen, get a cheap scanner. It's to easy to accidentally key up on a ham freq with a HT.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    It was only $26

I don’t have a license yet and not sure if/when I’d get one. I’m mainly interested in it for emergencies
    I’m just curious if anyone out there could enlighten me on the pros of having one. Like what kind of frequencies I could pick up or range of frequencies. I’ve been told this one can’t pick up digital frequencies such as what the police and EMS use.

so, did you get a license yet?
    or do you have more questions?

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Frequencies are all available on line. For a Baofeng I would recommend getting a programming cable and download CHIRP to load your frequencies. Set up right you can program your radio so it won't transmit on frequencies that you shouldn't.

Definitely get your Tech license. Like Cycleguy and Cobbler said, it's pretty straight forward, you will learn about radio and you can legally use it.

A caveat with these radios, they can be programmed to transmit on prohibited frequencies, they sometimes come out of the box programmed with those frequencies. So don't just pick a random channel and key up. The FCC has NO sense of humor should you accidently interfere with public service traffic (think REALY big fines). Worse than the fines I wouldn't want that on my conscience if it were me.

Should you chose to get licensed and go down the ham radio rabbit hole feel free to reach out. There are good resources here and elsewhere that would be happy to share in the addiction! :)

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    I recommend looking at the list of 'supported' radios on the Chirp website before buying a first radio (I think almost all Baofeng radios are supported):

Chirp is open source (free to download/install) and runs on Windows, Linux and Mac.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Been away from the forum for a long time but I've had a couple handhelds for a few years that I mostly have programmed for offroad and Baja frequencies but with everything going on I've also been considering getting licensed. Did yall have specific resources you recommend for studying or practice tests?

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    Been away from the forum for a long time but I've had a couple handhelds for a few years that I mostly have programmed for offroad and Baja frequencies but with everything going on I've also been considering getting licensed. Did yall have specific resources you recommend for studying or practice tests?

I posted some links here:
    https://texasguntalk.com/threads/i-...el-amateur-radio-test-yesterday.102470/page-2

I will probably start a new thread, though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Is this the radio you got? If so, what do you think of it?

1630812620766.png

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Is this the radio you got? If so, what do you think of it?

View attachment 275210
    I think almost 50% of the hams by now have one of those. I've had one for about 5 years now and it still works great. I keep it at my desk at work in case of any issues in the Dallas area that I want to hear or talk about on the local repeaters.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I think almost 50% of the hams by now have one of those. I've had one for about 5 years now and it still works great. I keep it at my desk at work in case of any issues in the Dallas area that I want to hear or talk about on the local repeaters.
    Mine works great too. Cheap easy enough to program in new freqs and offsets by hand...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    It was only $26

Transmission on the Police/Fire/EMS/Amateur Bands is illegal.
    I would suggest contacting a local Ham club and obtaining a Technician license.

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015

Don't expect to get 8 watts out of that radio. Many of the Baofeng variants tested typically get 4-5 watts. I've seen some advertising absurd power levels, but when those have been tested, they've only transmitted slightly over 4 watts.

I second (third?) the recommendation to get Chirp and a programming cable. It definitely makes it easier to program the radio. Just make sure you get a genuine cable and not a knockoff.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom