• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Okay, we went from Dell to HP some time ago. Short story, 1/3 of our computers fell apart, HP couldn't find a problem (wouldn't load games to test graphics), we said screw it and decided to give Dell another shot.

PC's ordered 10/26 ... ship date 11/10. I thought WTFudge. Wife says keep your shoes on, it will go fast. Today's email ... ship date changed to 11/17.

This sucks... The email has an option to cancel the order. I'm thinking about it but don't want to go back to HP.
    Texas SOT

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Once upon a time I used to be a Dell customer. As time wore on it became clear Dell pretty much considers owners of its computers more like renters, and treats them as such. It's your computer, you bought it, but Dell does things like locking you out of the motherboard. F*** that! Ended up my third Dell failed due to a Dell installed software issue, and they wanted me to pay hundreds of dollars for customer support. I said no way, no thanks, and told them I'd never buy a Dell again in my life. I'm an extremely loyal consumer, and when betrayed or otherwise screwed a company can never recover in my book. Dell screwed the pooch.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    How many computers are we talking about? You could order the parts from Newegg.com and put them together without too much effort. Maybe we could work a deal :-)

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Four computers, but I don't want to go the new egg/build it route.

I may be getting rid of 10 computers. 4 xp and 6 vista. Most have 2g or ram, 7600 (maybe gt) nvidia cards or better, 200g drives or better, all HP. May donate them to TGT guys that could use it to replace a current primary pc, I may float test them. Either way, I need to find a program to completely erase the hard drives (will run it x3 or x4) and then I'll do a full restore.

Haven't run it past my wife, so...

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Just throwing this out. If you do trash the old computers and you don't intend to keep the old hard drive, take it apart as you can use the disk platens as signaling mirrors. I always carry one in my backpack, and have given out many to friends for the same purpose. Food for thought.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've bought a couple dells. I got a nice desktop remanufactored for pretty cheap.

You might look at these. They are there, ready to ship and are much cheaper. Just an idea.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've not ordered from Dell in 3 or so years, but my business has 5 of them running. My Accounting computer is 12 years old, and still going strong (Windows 95... he he) Our 2 graphics work stations are 4 years old and still under warranty. Fan went out one one a couple of months ago, and they came right out and replaced it on sight.

But we didn't buy cheap-o desk tops. Top end Workstations. Dell has slipped, but I'd buy another if these every die.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Eh, I said screw em and dumped the order. I'll look for some new ones towards the end of the year. Maybe I'll get a better deal to go along with the crappy service. I have to wonder, why would they be so far behind schedule? With the economy tanking, I figured they'd have lots of time to fill orders. Major lay-offs?

Anyway, I'll take an inventory of what we have. At second glance, there are some old Dells (512mb ram), several HPs and three E-machines (they run great). We may have some 19" and 20" monitors we need to dump too. I don't have a solid game plan yet, so they may get donated to guys here, a charity, or the Gulf of Mexico (j/k, put out to the curb)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    They are no doubt behind because they, like all manufacturing companies, (especially electronics) are very quick to reduce direct labor in accordance with incoming orders and backlog.

Top Bottom