Patriot Mobile

Oregon governor blocks execution for rest of term.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    http://m.cnn.com/primary/_DETN8M-ii1tba5Gn7I

I don't get it. A man is tried and convicted for two heinous murders, waives his right to appeal, sentenced to death, and this vage governor would rather pay $40+k a year to feed and house this asshole... He claims that the death penalty in Oregon is expensive and inequitable, how expensive could an execution really be? Illinois banned the death penalty all together, no big shocker there.

All this says is, if ya suddenly get the hankerin fer some good ole fashioned homicide, do it in Oregon!

Still dont get how sustaining an inmate for a life sentence is cheaper than just gassing/frying/hanging/juicing the murderous bastard...
    Texas SOT

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    The whole damn thing has been overly complicated imho.

If you have a conviction, supported by DNA and/or admission of guilt, git after it! Whats a .50 caliber bullet cost these days? $7?

Old school firing squad, 12 rifles, 11 blanks and one live round fired by 12 expert shooters.

Aside from the cost incurred leading up to the conviction, I bet you could pull off a clean execution for less than $500 bucks including doughnuts and coffee for your expert shooters prior to the event.

Maybe there are elements here I dont know about, but why exhaust your public funds for decades trying to find a convicted monster innocent to no avail?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You can house an inmate for $40,000-$60,000 a year.
    Executing one can easily run 1.5 million just in lawyers fees and you still have the 10 years of jail time.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    It is expensive because of the process after conviction and before execution. And that process exists because in our great country, it is better to let 10 guilty men go free than it is to punish one innocent man.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    It is expensive because of the process after conviction and before execution. And that process exists because in our great country, it is better to let 10 guilty men go free than it is to punish one innocent man.

I get that, but if a guy is convicted of murder twice on two seperate cases, or hell, even once for that matter, and voluntarily waives his right to appeal, and admits guilt, whats to persue? Case closed! Fry the phucker!

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    If you research it life in prison is much cheaper. Plenty of articles out there on cost comparisons.

Only because they make it so expensive by turning it into a circus. Trust me, the Soviet/Chinese method of leading the criminal from the courtroom, down a hallway, through a door into a cage, then a .22 bullet to the back of the head doesn't cost too much money. It can be done.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Only because they make it so expensive by turning it into a circus. Trust me, the Soviet/Chinese method of leading the criminal from the courtroom, down a hallway, through a door into a cage, then a .22 bullet to the back of the head doesn't cost too much money. It can be done.

Yeah, but China and Russia don't have all of these superfulous organizations like the ACLU, ACORN, and all these other hyper-leftist wackos that believe that criminals should have more rights than the workin man...

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    So, as stated, the expense is incurred by the legal process....so, again, the legal process has been completed and found guilty......execute and keep from having to feed him for the next 40 years. Otherwise,the guy who has been found guilty but execution stayed, can easily still incur legal fees over and over and over.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Yeah, but China and Russia don't have all of these superfulous organizations like the ACLU, ACORN, and all these other hyper-leftist wackos that believe that criminals should have more rights than the workin man...

Very true.

America is also the land of anal retentives in charge of managing executions, including lethal injection......and botching them. I mean, come on, when lethal injection drugs are given (any one of the typically three given being lethal on their own) these idiots are dispensing the drugs in dosages too low to cause death. Just inject the condemned with a dosage high enough to kill a 6,000 pound elephant and death will be quick, immediate, and sure.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    yeah but it's those damn alcohol swabs and clean needles that run the cost up!!!

Why do they use alcohol swabs if the man is going to die regardless? No need to clean the spot first lol.

I'm all for execution, but if the man becomes someone's bitch in prison, that's equally as satisfying to know that he's living a shit packed life.... pun intended

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

+1

I wouldn't want the rest of the baggage that comes along with the Soviet/Chinese method, like not having due process or a Bill of Rights.

I'm not anti-Capital punishment at all. I'd like to see an expedited legal process, as long as fair legal precautions are in place to keep innocent people off death row. That fact is that right now it's cheaper to have them in life for prison, and it's less prone to accidentally killing an innocent person. When it comes to taking someone's life you have to get it right.

What I'd like to see is a legal standard called out specifically where more reliable evidence such as video, DNA, etc could result in an expedited process with less appeals for Capital Murder cases. I'd want to avoid executing someone solely based on eye witness account of one or two people, or circumstantial evidence. If you had "irrefutable" evidence you could expedite the execution, and if you didn't you could disallow capital punishment and move right to life in prison to avoid some of the appeals costs. The legislature could hash out the definitions of this higher level of evidence.

I don't know how feasible my suggestion is, I'm not a lawyer. It seems like it would speed up the process and reduce some of the frivolous costs. Also, the guys who are caught red handed could be executed in the near term rather than 20 years later.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I wouldn't want the rest of the baggage that comes along with the Soviet/Chinese method, like not having due process or a Bill of Rights.

I'm not anti-Capital punishment at all. I'd like to see an expedited legal process, as long as fair legal precautions are in place to keep innocent people off death row. That fact is that right now it's cheaper to have them in life for prison, and it's less prone to accidentally killing an innocent person. When it comes to taking someone's life you have to get it right.

What I'd like to see is a legal standard called out specifically where more reliable evidence such as video, DNA, etc could result in an expedited process with less appeals for Capital Murder cases. I'd want to avoid executing someone solely based on eye witness account of one or two people, or circumstantial evidence. If you had "irrefutable" evidence you could expedite the execution, and if you didn't you could disallow capital punishment and move right to life in prison to avoid some of the appeals costs. The legislature could hash out the definitions of this higher level of evidence.

I don't know how feasible my suggestion is, I'm not a lawyer. It seems like it would speed up the process and reduce some of the frivolous costs. Also, the guys who are caught red handed could be executed in the near term rather than 20 years later.

The point I was driving at more than anything else is the excessive (and, IMO, unnecessary) measures put in place to carry out one simple execution. Typically the entire prison is put on lockdown (before that became common, when did you ever hear of a prison rioting during an execution?). Then, even though the prison is in lockdown, extra guards are put on duty getting paid huge amounts of overtime. And the list goes on and on. In the end, a typical execution requires over a million dollars to complete, and that's simply ridiculous. Heck, if the authorities consider all those measures absolutely necessary, then why not execute as many inmates as possible on the same day to make the most efficient use of time and money? Oh, but then you would likely get into the realm of public opinion crying out for why so much death and brutality is/was carried out by the authorities at one time. Talk about you can't win for losing!

The methods the Communists and others use simply shows how cheaply and effectively someone can be executed without the American media circus and river of money expended.

yeah but it's those damn alcohol swabs and clean needles that run the cost up!!!

How true!

Top Bottom