• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    I picked up a few knives at a flea market today. I didnt know (nor did the seller) why this one had a blunt tip but I got it anyway. After doing some research I found out its a scuba knife. I dont scuba dive (I cant even swim) but I was wondering if this kind of knife would have any kind of advantage on land. I just started making a bug out bag. Would I be better off getting a more traditional knife for my bug out bag or should this one be just as useful?
    IMG_3813.jpg
    DK Firearms

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    That is definitely a dive knife. The blunt tip is used for prying, and it has a line cutter also. Remember they are specialty tools for a special job. While a knife is not the best tool to use as a pry bar, when diving it comes in handy sometimes, hence the blunt point. (A lot of divers make their own blunt point knives on dive, usually not on purpose :) ) As far as a survival tool, probably not a top of the line choice, but better than some others I would imagine.

The finish will be durable since it's made to work in salt water, so that is a plus. Mine have never been good at holding an edge, so I use a regular knife these days and clean and oil it afterwards. Good news is the sheaths are usually really good at keeping the knife in place until you need it and then real easy to get unlocked. Many times divers will have thick gloves and the tools are designed to be easily manipulated with gloves on, so it might be handy in extreme winter conditions.

There is some talk that some places folks dive don't allow pointed knives and that blunt knives are the only choice, but I have not experienced that.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Imo, as a diver, most dive knives are cheap and flimsy feeling above water. Also very brittle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Ace aced it in his comments...why dive knives are blunt, not sure, I cannot think of too many times I NEEDED a blunt over a regular knife albeit I carried a blunt as almost all are. Spend the bucks and you can get as good as any knife on dry land, but most are SS and the better ones will have a handle that will let it float, but it might take a long time to surface, its just slightly positive buoyancy so it does not sink and if you let go it floats around you. Add it to your tool box of stuff, you may use it some day...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Again, blunt knives are for prying (among other things). The ones I've used worked great in a variety of circumstances, diving or not. I've had no experiences with cheap diving knives and see them as superior to many. Waterproof, sharp, big, and easily cleaned.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have my Divemaster (professional) and Master SCUBA Diver ratings and as I read these posts, my mind wandered over hundreds of dives and what happened during them. That knife is a lot more than just a cheap, funny looking tool!

The biggest hazard to a fresh water diver is from the hundreds of miles of nylon cord, monofilament fishing line and rope beneath the surface. It is everywhere, in piles, strung around and laying in big masses. Have you ever tried to break that stuff? Without that knife, it will snare you until you run out of air and die. Because as your body bloats, a corpse surfaces. Your body won't because you're snared!

Ever notice how officers will search for a drowning victim for a time, then call off the search if they can't find the body? They'll wait until it bloats and pops to the surface like a cork!

That knife also is used to rap on your tank to summon help. Three raps is the usual signal and it travels for a long way under water. When a diver hears that.......no foolin' come quickly!

The SS construction is indeed for corrosion resistance and it does make the knife less able to hold an edge. Those knives go through Hell and receive very little care but they are always ready to serve. The top pf the handle is usually capped with metal to use it for a hammer.

The sheath is usually clunky when compared to a hunting knife. That's because it holds the knife securely but is very easy to draw when needed. It is also corrosion and rot resistant.

Most divers wear their knives on one leg near the calf. After a recovery diver who was looking for a para sailing drowning victim in Tulsa drowned when he forgot his knife, I swore never to go in the water without a knife! (He got tangled in the parachute lines and drowned). I sewed my knife sheath into my Buoyancy compensator "cummerbund" belt so it was impossible to gear up without my knife! I also put a lanyard on the knife handle and put that around my wrist before I drew the knife. The lesson here is....if you drop the knife, you're dead!

So........what to do with that knife? I'd keep it and find a way to carry it lawfully as you camp, travel or participate in outdoor activities. That knife is a LOT more that just an ugly, clunky looking tool. Someone trusted his/her life to it and you can, too.

Flash

Top Bottom