• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My friend Bonnie who is a retired Correctional Officer has a photographic memory. We were watching one of those cooking infomercials about a Wolfgang Puck Pressure Oven that was ringing my BS alarm pretty heavily. The chef took a 12 pound turkey, put it in the pressure oven for 50 minutes and the darned bird was done perfectly!

The oven uses a sealed system that runs at 1-5 PSI OR it can be used as a conventional oven (but that takes much longer)

Bonnie was obsessed with the way that Puck prepared the bird with Ginger, Olive oil and cinnamon and we discussed it several times.

We specialize in making large meals quickly and/or easily using a variety of Pressure cookers, crock pots and other special cooking devices. We make spare ribs in a pressure cooker from opening the package to on the table in one hour. Are your ribs better than ours after slow cooking them for hours or smoking them all day? They probably are but we specialize in EASY cooking!

Bonnie popped for the oven at Kohls. We paid a bit more for it but we took it home today and did not need to order it online. The unit is Stainless steel outside and appears to be stainless inside as well.

I popped for a 12 pound turkey with all the extras ($50) and we got to work on it at 4 pm today.

We didn't know anything about the oven and read the book carefully. You preheat the oven at 450 then put the bird inside, seal the door and set the control for "pressure". The turkey went in the oven for 50 minutes as they said.

We got a perfectly cooked bird, brown and totally beautiful in 50 minutes! It was tender, juicy and fully cooked at the breast using a digital thermometer for the breast temperature of approx 180 degrees.

We did make one mistake, however. The oven needs to blow air all around the bird so it sits on a rack in the roaster pan. That bird was so large that we took the rack out from under it so it would fit in the oven!

That was NOT a good decision as the thick turkey thighs in the bottom of the roaster pan were not well done. We cut off those undercooked parts and placed them back in the pressure oven and I believe we gave them 20 minutes more by themselves.

Puck also used slices of sweet potato and tossed them in the bottom of the roaster pan. Those were perfectly done!

So.....we got a beautiful, picture worthy 12 pound turkey (minus our error of omitting the rack) with sweet potatoes. That bird was as pretty as one that you'd find on a magazine cover! The white meat was very moist and tender.

I wondered how clean the oven came out as the chicken cookers like at Walmart would give me nightmares about cleaning them! The oven was very clean and required a very easy wipedown.

The ovens aren't cheap and they vary from $249-$299. I suspect that we could research it and find it cheaper but we are right at the holiday season and we did NOT want to ship it during this period.

So far, the results are stunning! We'll try some roasts and some whole chickens, next. The chickens will take even less time than the turkey!

Remember that you must preheat the oven and allow unobstructed air flow all around the turkey.

The Wolfgang Puck Pressure Oven is looking good!

Flash
    DK Firearms

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A PS to the oven story.
    Sweet potatoes usually give me the "scoots" but the ones coming out of this oven sat very well in my stomach. I suspect the difference was that the SP didn't have brown sugar and margarine on them from standard cooking recipes. They were straight potatoes but they tasted very good and we could have mashed them with a fork!

Regarding the white meat......

I do not like Turkey white meat! To me, the stuff is so dry and tasteless that I refuse to eat it unless I dump Ketchup on it.

The dark meat was undercooked because of our mistake with the cooking rack so I settled into some white breast meat. It was very tasty and moist!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Another PS to the pressure oven.

Bonnie called the company on their toll free number and asked several questions. That # is 1-877-359-9747 Kitchen Tek Pressure Oven. 9-9pm 24/7.

She asked if other oils could be used to baste the bird, instead of Olive oil. They said YES, any oil can be used. Bonnie will try Peanut oil next.

She also asked if the removal of that bottom rack caused the dark meat to be under cooked. Answer...Yes, that was the cause. There must be unobstructed air flow all around the turkey for it to cook properly.

For lunch today, I ate some of that dark meat that we put back into the oven yesterday and it was splendid!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The skin looked, felt and tasted great! The legs were pulled up from the end as a leg should be when it's done correctly. Haven't had a leg yet but that pulled up skin on the end may possibly be crunchy. Overall appearance of the bird was just like a chef prepared bird! It was beautiful, moist and tender!

I have a ZERO trust when I see TV sales ads for expensive appliances. I didn't believe it, tried it and it's true! That oven makes killer turkeys in the 11 pound range in less than one hour!

Flash

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Or...Puck it if you can't take a joke!.....snicker.

Flash
    Well if you wanna be that way, then Puck you to, LOL you had to know that was coming...

Pressure cooking was popular for many years and faded after WWII. Lots of explosions, folks getting burned etc mostly due to improper washing and stopping up the blow off valve, but its a good way to cook. I think some of the fast food places that cook chicken pressure cook it????

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had three pressure cookers and gave Bonnie one of my 6 quart pots, Maybe I needed to transfer that PC on a 4473?

Well, I'm a criminal now. Puck 'em!

Oh....I ate both drumsticks last night. The skin was moist and none of it was crunchy.

Flash

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    It'd be registered as a destructive device. :-)

You have me thinking about this.

I need to investigate what kind of time savings I can get from this for my wife's cooking\meals we eat. 10~20 min a night adds up if that's possible.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had 10 pounds of chicken legs in the fridge. The "due date" was yesterday so it was time to cook it! 5 pounds of it fit well in the oven so we decided to make these our experimental chicken parts.

Bonnie came over and we got a new Android phone for her as a Christmas gift so we came back here and got to Pucking chicken....snicker.

We took five pounds of the chicken legs, spread Spray Vegetable oil then Olive Oil on the top, poured on melted butter then sprinkled lemon pepper from Wally World on the pieces.

We placed the legs on the roaster rack all stacked like cordwood. There was a lot of contact between pieces and I questioned whether the meat would cook completely. But we tried it as it was. 450 degrees, preheated oven and 30 minutes under pressure. We wanted to know if the meat was completely done, so we started cutting and I took the biggest one and ate it.

With this oven, the usual question of "is it done?" has a different answer. That meat is moist all the way through. Don't look for dryness, because you won't find any! We looked instead, for any redness or red fluid coming from the depths of the meat. If it wasn't red, it was done. Again, it was very moist and tasty! 450/30 minutes/done!

I looked at the oven interior and found no hard deposits. It was still a wipe down cleanup.

There was nothing crisp or crunchy including the skin.

Next.............the next 5 pounds of chicken legs!

Flash

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Used to be a KFC guy...still like it but try to avoid it. Bush's Chicken is just fine with me!
    The chicken to avoid is Cane's! First thing is they not only do not have a 'spicy' but don't even sell Jalapeno's in the joint. Chicken tastes good but has no real flavor just plain-o chicken, no seasoning, no nothing. Avoid!!!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I had 10 pounds of chicken legs in the fridge. The "due date" was yesterday so it was time to cook it!

Bonnie came over and we got a new Android phone for her as a Christmas gift so we came back here and got to Pucking chicken....snicker.

We took five pounds of the chicken legs, spread oil on the top, poured on melted butter then sprinkled lemon pepper from Wally World on the pieces.

We placed the legs on the roaster rack all stacked like cordwood. There was a lot of contact between pieces and I questioned whether the meat would cook completely. But we tried it as it was. 450 degrees, preheated oven and 30 minutes under pressure. We wanted to know if the meat was completely done, so we started cutting and I took the biggest one and ate it.

With this oven, the usual question of "is it done?" has a different answer. That meat is moist all the way through. Don't look for dryness, because you won't find any! We looked instead, for any redness or red fluid coming from the depths of the meat. If it wasn't red, it was done. Again, it was very moist and tasty! 450/30 minutes/done!

I looked at the oven interior and found no hard deposits. It was still a wipe down cleanup.

Next.............the next 5 pounds of chicken legs!

Flash

You need a thermometer\probe.

Top Bottom