• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I think I already have the answer but I want to make sure before I commit a federal offense...and get the other end in trouble along the way...

I have been looking for a specific rifle, cannot or have not yet, found one locally....found one that a guy has in Alabama...this is the one I want to purchase unless legally prohibited...

When talking to a local FFL generically, he said basically, unless ruled out by local gun laws, a private citizen could send directly to him and he would facilitate the federal paperwork to legalize the transaction...

I have never been a party to a non-local gun sale/purchase so not sure what exactly the legalisms are...

Does anyone know what the transfer laws are for Alabama and is it just simple as the other party packing up the rifle and shipping it to my FFL?

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Should be that simple. I don't think Alabama has any strange laws like California, etc. Check the transfer FAQs at www.gunbroker.com. It's easier to just send you the link, rather than transcribing everything from their site. If anyone has it down to a science, they do.

Some FFLs will not accept shipments from private parties, so check with your guy and make sure he's okay with an individual shipping him a firearm, rather than another FFL.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    For a long gun, if your FFL will accept it from an individual, you're good to go. It's just that many will not.

I sold one to a friend, and his FFL would not accept from an individual. It worked out better because my FFL only charged $20 to ship it, and all I had to do was take the scope off. They packed it all nicely and shipped it on it's way.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    For a long gun, if your FFL will accept it from an individual, you're good to go. It's just that many will not.
    . . . I have found that the "many who will not" are usually (damn) Yankees or other residents of Northern states.

I've not found a Texas FFL holder who won't accept from individuals (but I don't know but a couple of handfuls, either).

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    so, that is what I was thinking based off of everything I have found...now for suggestions....say it is regular joe sixpack who is selling his rifle on the interweb thingy and I am wanting to purchase it, what are some good suggestions to get the thing here safe and sound....I was thinking of sending him the shipping box and gun case that my bushmaster came in since I don't use it for anything else and it would probably be perfect....I am guessing maybe another alternative would be for him to take it to a gun shop and they could pack it up and ship it but they would of course probably charge him and he would in turn charge me....or the wrong answer of trusting his generic packing skillz.....

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Just make the deal so that you have a 3 days non firing inspection period.

If the guy doesn't pack it properly, send it back.

Otherwise, I think you are vastly overthinking the issue.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Otherwise, I think you are vastly overthinking the issue.

Exactly.

Like anything you buy on the interwebber place thingy, have him ship it insured.

I wouldn't not send him anything to pack or ship it in. It's his to get to you safely. If you participate in the shipping, ie. provide the container, you bought the liability if it's damaged in shipping.

blacksunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Exactly.

Like anything you buy on the interwebber place thingy, have him ship it insured.

I wouldn't not send him anything to pack or ship it in. It's his to get to you safely. If you participate in the shipping, ie. provide the container, you bought the liability if it's damaged in shipping.

good points....my angle is from the mindset of selling stuff on flebay for many years and having to deal with all the tools and shipping issues that arise....so the paranoid/better safe than sorry mentality quickly sets in or it starts to cost you over time....that being said, having never purchased a gun online AND seeing what shipping companies can do to items, well...you know....

this would have to be the highest dollar purchase I have made on the net and I know when I sold items in this range, I made sure it got there with proof and insurance...and still problems happened....

ok, I will heed the advice of those wiser on the subject....

if I am lucky, I will have the 'new to me' rifle in my paws within a week... :D

Top Bottom