• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Working on trading one of my AR-15s to a guy in Arkansas (trading for guitar). As long as he is legal to own a gun.......is there any issue with trading out of the State of Texas?
    Capitol Armory ad

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Or have the fellow come to Texas and do the trade at your local FFL.

Either way, it has to go through an FFL, as it's an "interstate firearms transfer".

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Can't he just meet the guy in Texas and make the trade?

No, he could come here and meet at an FFL and do the transfer, but you can only sell FTF with people in your own state, that includes Long Guns...legally speaking..

Its really best, the last transfer I did with someone from KS was on my way back with my wifes new car. I was selling him my AR 15 pistol. Went to the FFL, kid get delayed...turns out it was because he had some shit on his record that he needed to clear up first. Had I not gone through the FFL that would have been a bad deal for me in the long run...

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    No, he could come here and meet at an FFL and do the transfer, but you can only sell FTF with people in your own state, that includes Long Guns...legally speaking..

Its really best, the last transfer I did with someone from KS was on my way back with my wifes new car. I was selling him my AR 15 pistol. Went to the FFL, kid get delayed...turns out it was because he had some shit on his record that he needed to clear up first. Had I not gone through the FFL that would have been a bad deal for me in the long run...

What if I give the AR-15 to my son (39 years old) who is a resident of same State (same town) and let him trade for the guitar?

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    What if I give the AR-15 to my son (39 years old) who is a resident of same State (same town) and let him trade for the guitar?

Family or not, ownership still crosses state lines. Why not just do it the right way? Is not that big of a deal, and that way everyone is protected..

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Family or not, ownership still crosses state lines. Why not just do it the right way? Is not that big of a deal, and that way everyone is protected..

Thanks all for information. Looks like deal fell through but if I get another chance at this particular type of guitar......and it is out of State.....I will make sure I go to a local FFL to complete the paperwork.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I believe you can give your out of state son the gun, but since you would be doing it to circumvent the law on the trade, it would be illegal. I am not an expert by any means, but that is how i understand it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I have always heard the gun needs to be shipped to an FFL. I was curious if it could be delivered to an out of state FFL legally. It sounds like it can be. Good to know.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    You don't need to use a local FFL on your end. You can ship the long gun to a FFL in the recipient's state, as long as you clear it with the receiving FFL beforehand. Some FFLs won't accept shipments from individuals. If the FFl says OK, ship to him, and he will transfer to the recipient in that state. Only handguns have to be sent by/to FFL on both ends.
    And yes it cen be delivered I believe, not 100% sure.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Only handguns have to be sent by/to FFL on both ends.
    This is a myth, brought on by cheap people. You can ship a handgun to anyone legally able to receive it, BUT, it costs close to $100 for an individual to do so using FedUPS.

Since FFLs can use the U.S. Mail to ship guns between themselves, it can come out a lot cheaper for them to ship a handgun for you, but it isn't legally required.
    Quite legal, so long as there's no state law (where your going) prohibiting it.

wgsigs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    DFW
    I believe you can give your out of state son the gun, but since you would be doing it to circumvent the law on the trade, it would be illegal. I am not an expert by any means, but that is how i understand it.
    He can give his son the gun, but he still has to transfer it through an FFL in his son's state, regardless of legal intent. The only way I know of for the OP to transfer a gun to his out-of-state son without using an FFL is if he died and bequeathed it to him.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    He can give his son the gun, but he still has to transfer it through an FFL in his son's state, regardless of legal intent.

Again, this is not true for long guns.

Since it's a long gun, the deal must be done at an FFL. For long guns transfers, the law doesn't say where the FFL needs to be located (for handguns, the FFL does have to be in the buyer's state).

The buyer could drive down to Texas and pick it up at a Texas FFL holder's place.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    You don't need to use a local FFL on your end. You can ship the long gun to a FFL in the recipient's state, as long as you clear it with the receiving FFL beforehand. Some FFLs won't accept shipments from individuals. If the FFl says OK, ship to him, and he will transfer to the recipient in that state. Only handguns have to be sent by/to FFL on both ends.
    A non FFL can ship a handgun to an FFL in another State, but not by USPS.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Nalioth, you're right of course about being able to ship a handgun to a ffl in another state. I just always use a ffl due to the shipping cost and I suppose in my mind I was thinking it was the law. Might as well be. Who wants to pay $100 to ship a gun when you can have a dealer do it for $10 plus a fee of maybe $15 or so. Just for the record.

Top Bottom