• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    May 12, 2009
    Playing airsoft is fun. and useful as a training tool when 'played' correctly.

however indoors seems to be the only viable place for these activites, and i feel that severely limits its applications.

what airsoft guns are best suited for outdoor engagements?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    In general you'd want airsoft guns of a higher fps. Personally I'd want something 330-400fps for most outdoors activities. I understand what you mean by it being limiting. There are plenty of outdoors scenarios that could be played out, such as a carjacking, attempted mugging at the ATM, etc.

One thing to look for in an airsoft gun is that it has what's typically referred to as "hop up". Basically this is a device that puts a backspin on the bb which allows it to maintain a flatter trajectory for a longer distance. Usually this is done by some sort of adjustable rubber piece that protrudes into the top of the barrel a small amount. Almost all modern airsoft guns should have this, so that most likely wouldn't be an issue.

Obviously there is the law of diminishing returns in effect here. As far as realistically training, I'd say ~25yds is probably close to the realistic max that some of the best airsoft gas handguns are capable of somewhat accurate fire. Some of the long guns can go a decent amount farther than that (maybe ~50yds), but we have to think about what's realistic. At the point you are 50yds away, the flight time of the bb is slow enough that if you are watching you can dodge it. That just wouldn't be a realistic training opportunity in that case. I'd say stick to 25yds and in, and if possible 15-20yds or less so that you still have a flat trajectory and quick enough flight time on the bb that there is no "dodging" going on. ;)

One thing to note is, when you start getting much above 300fps, these bbs can crack glass, dent cars, and damage a lot of things. Just be aware of that. For that reason, for close quarters stuff I would try to stick to 300fps or below, or even 250fps or below.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Ive been using an ECHO 1 Stag M4 for several years now. excellent weapon. reliable. accurate enough for me. decent range.

jeepinbanditrider

Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Yup BIOs, they break down to dust over time. Most places in the DFW area follow North Texas Airsoft (NTA) (and by extension most TASO or Texas Airsoft Organization) rules of engagement that require certain FPS limits and minimum engagement distances for different types of weapons. I'm going to post a thread in the main Airsoft forum with some links and basic info.

Outdoor games are very doable. Youtube search for OP Lion Claws or OP Bulldog or OP Irene and you will see some serious outdoor/indoor airsoft games with close to 1000 participants.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom