• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My house has a shit load of spiders, more outside then inside. I noticed one of the neighbors spraying his house and trees. And he said it was specific for spiders.

He had a big tank in the bed of his Polaris that I assume was pressurized with an electric pump. While I’m just poor white trash I only have a hand pumped garden sprayer. I have the feeling it might take a week to spray the house, garage, shop & trees.

I wouldn’t mind laying down enough toxicity to kill the fleas too. My guess ticks are around as well, but I have seen one yet.

What are you putting down around y’all’s places? Not really wanting to go out and buys bigger pressurized tank for my Cub Cadet as I would have to buy something to mount on the trailer hitch too

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Mosquitos are really, really bad, and I'm doing some research on using some less or non-toxic methods for them as well.

Mosquitos are terrible everywhere and nothing seems to keep them away. Geckos are bad so I sprayed garlic about a week ago and haven't seen one since. My sprayer is in the garage and every time I go into the garage I want some garlic bread.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mosquitos are terrible everywhere and nothing seems to keep them away. Geckos are bad so I sprayed garlic about a week ago and haven't seen one since. My sprayer is in the garage and every time I go into the garage I want some garlic bread.

I keep several cans of bug spray around because of the mosquitos.

I might also look into some of those mosquito traps to see if they do any good.

But what we really need are lots of sunshine and wind to dry up the standing water around here. Until that happens, the mosquitos are going to be really bad this year.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Retired entomologist, spent 30+ years in the pest management industry. Did work myself, also taught, trained and managed technicians. Was licensed by the state in all pest categories. ..Pest, termite, lawn and ornamental, structural fumigation, weed control, and wood preservation. There's my background.

Power spraying the entire area to deal with spiders is , in my opinion, a waste of time and money. I'd recommend a three gallon backpack hand pumped sprayer. Probable pesticides to use include Temprid (a Neonicotinal + a synthetic copy of pyrethrin, both are quite toxic to insects and arachnids, but have little effect on mammals), or perhaps Suspend, another synthetic pyrethroid. Apply it in about a three foot wide strip around the house perimeter. Might need to reapply it every 2 to 4 months.

For mosquitos, I would recommend Dr. T's mosquito granules. Basically cat liter with garlic oil and some other plant oils in it. Repellent, and works well, and not terribly expensive. Apply it at the label rate to the area you want to keep the mosquitos away from. Generally is effective for 2-4 weeks. If you are dealing with an outdoor living area, like a patio, install a fan. Mosquitos are crappy fliers, and don't do well in wind. Turn on the fan, and they won't try to move through the moving air.

Do My Own Pest Control.com is a good source of pesticides and equipment, and designed for the homeowner. Pretty helpful website.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Retired entomologist, spent 30+ years in the pest management industry. Did work myself, also taught, trained and managed technicians. Was licensed by the state in all pest categories. ..Pest, termite, lawn and ornamental, structural fumigation, weed control, and wood preservation. There's my background.

Power spraying the entire area to deal with spiders is , in my opinion, a waste of time and money. I'd recommend a three gallon backpack hand pumped sprayer. Probable pesticides to use include Temprid (a Neonicotinal + a synthetic copy of pyrethrin, both are quite toxic to insects and arachnids, but have little effect on mammals), or perhaps Suspend, another synthetic pyrethroid. Apply it in about a three foot wide strip around the house perimeter. Might need to reapply it every 2 to 4 months.

For mosquitos, I would recommend Dr. T's mosquito granules. Basically cat liter with garlic oil and some other plant oils in it. Repellent, and works well, and not terribly expensive. Apply it at the label rate to the area you want to keep the mosquitos away from. Generally is effective for 2-4 weeks. If you are dealing with an outdoor living area, like a patio, install a fan. Mosquitos are crappy fliers, and don't do well in wind. Turn on the fan, and they won't try to move through the moving air.

Do My Own Pest Control.com is a good source of pesticides and equipment, and designed for the homeowner. Pretty helpful website.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get some Dr. T's. I've been spraying (1 gal pump sprayer) yard & deck with a mixture of Bifin I/T and a 1/3 amount from the Off Mosquito Backyard treatment that you connect to your garden hose, with a gallon of water. The Bifin I/T works pretty good on fleas. The OFF Backyard treatment kind of works but can't really tell. We do use a couple of hi-velocity fans when we're outside. I had heard that mosquitos don't fly well, when wind speed was up about 5 mph.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm no bug guy, but we've been using this stuff for a few years with pretty good results. Spray the yard, shrubs, trees, fences, etc. and the bugs don't seem to stick around.

1622746948127.png

The active ingredient according to the label is "Lambda-Cyhalothrin (0.16%)"

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    “ Power spraying the entire area to deal with spiders is , in my opinion, a waste of time and money. I'd recommend a three gallon backpack hand pumped sprayer. Probable pesticides to use include Temprid (a Neonicotinal + a synthetic copy of pyrethrin, both are quite toxic to insects and arachnids, but have little effect on mammals), or perhaps Suspend, another synthetic pyrethroid. Apply it in about a three foot wide strip around the house perimeter. Might need to reapply it every 2 to 4 months.”

Charley the neighbor did not power wash outside, rather used a big electric garden sprayer to coat his house & trees in insecticide.

My thing is that my 2 gallon pump up sprayer. Seeing the neighbor do his whole house with his sprayer was pretty slick! I’m not sure as to the gallon volume he used. I suspect he mixed 20 gallons to do it all.

We both have same sized lots & structures. 20 gallons out of a 2 gallon sprayer won’t be as near as slick. I figure top to bottom coverage is needed as my security cameras attract spiders & web building. My house is brick and I see webs all up & down it.

Should I wear a respirator when spraying what you suggested?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Neighbor had a bee problem and sprayed his house down in the areas with the bees. I don’t know what he used, but his bee problem went away Quickly. It was right after that, I had a bee problem in the exterior wall that faces his house. My wife‘s friend is a bee keeper, so we had her come out to collect the bees and add to her hives. Once she got the bees out of the walls, they buzzed around for a few minutes outside, then started dropping to the ground and walking around like 100’s of ants. They eventually all died. Bee keeper thinks they were poisoned by the neighbor, and got into my walls to escape and die.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Good advice here. Know a fellow who has a PhD in entomology, been in the business for decades. Spiders are hard to kill according to him. But Charley has a good idea. Also spray in the weep holes, around the window frames and doorways.

There used to be a great product called Ficam. There was a Ficam powder you could put down in the attic and into the electrical receptacles in the house and around pipe openings. There was also a Ficam powder you added to water to make a spray. Sprayed it around the baseboards, etc. Great long term control. Once it dried it was safe for people and pets. Effective for years indoors. But I don't think you can buy it any more. {Seems like any insecticide that works is outlawed by the EPA.} Maybe Charley knows of a similar product for indoors.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Neighbor had a bee problem and sprayed his house down in the areas with the bees. I don’t know what he used, but his bee problem went away Quickly. It was right after that, I had a bee problem in the exterior wall that faces his house. My wife‘s friend is a bee keeper, so we had her come out to collect the bees and add to her hives. Once she got the bees out of the walls, they buzzed around for a few minutes outside, then started dropping to the ground and walking around like 100’s of ants. They eventually all died. Bee keeper thinks they were poisoned by the neighbor, and got into my walls to escape and die.
    Like we need to kill more bees!

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Lamda Cyhalothrin is another synthetic pyrethroid, a modified version of pyrethrin, a plant derivative. Works well, little effect on mammals. For weepholes in brick, I'd suggest using a small dust applicator and injecting something like Delta Dust, another pyrethroid. If the problems persist, copper mesh placed in the weepholes will keep critters out, and still allow ventilation.

As for the bees, he probably used something like Fipronil on them. Problem with it is when just a few bees contact it, when they return to the colony and follow normal behavior like grooming and feeding, they pass the pesticide to others who weren't originally exposed. The entire colony will collapse and die. It will affect most social insects in that way. Good for something like fireants, don't want to apply it anywhere honeybees feed/pollinate.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I usually spray cutter bug free back yard in the front and half the back yard. I let the back half of the back yard go without spray because there are fireflies back there. I'm trying passive traps like CO2 generator bottles for the mosquitoes. I think that cutter stuff is cypermethrin. I spot-treat things with a mix of permethrin and bifenthrin. Ant mounds get treated with orthene powder (acephate).

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I pay an exterminator.
    Me too, we have quarterly service for the house and basic exterior (termite checks, perimeter spray, fire ants on demand), but I don't pay him to treat for mosquitos. They want too much, and the Cutter stuff works for us for a few bucks a bottle.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Am seeing ads for a newfangled zapper called a FUZE BUG. Correct spelling. Has anybody tried them? They can be solar powered or USB charged.

ETA this is for mosquito control.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Are Geckos bad? They show up on the walls of my house every night and I see them catching bugs. We don't kill them. My problem is chiggers.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom