Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Hmmmm... Might be worth the drive from Spring for me. I'm going to look into this. Thanks!
    I let my membership lapse specifically because I live in Spring. It's a 55-mile drive across the middle of Houston to get there. The inconvenience means you'll get very little use out of your membership, IMO.

If you're willing to drive that far, look north to the Madisonville club. It's a slightly longer drive at 70 miles but a MUCH easier one. The club isn't nearly as nice, though. Life's a trade-off, I guess. If traffic doesn't bother you, PSC is still an option.

BTW - PSC doesn't stand for "Pearland Shooting Club". It did, a long time ago, when the club was located in Pearland. Now, the club is no longer in Pearland (it moved decades ago) so, officially, PSC doesn't stand for anything. Yet people still insist that it's the "Pearland Shooting Club" even though it's in Friendswood. Human behavioral inertia is a nearly immovable object, it seems. If you join, ask at orientation (they'll probably cover it without prompting; they did at mine) why something that everyone calls the "Pearland Shooting Club" isn't in Pearland. Depending on who's doing the orientation, you'll either get a disgusted, dismissive grunt or more than an earful. Either way, it'll be entertaining.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I let my membership lapse specifically because I live in Spring. It's a 55-mile drive across the middle of Houston to get there. The inconvenience means you'll get very little use out of your membership, IMO.

If you're willing to drive that far, look north to the Madisonville club. It's a slightly longer drive at 70 miles but a MUCH easier one. The club isn't nearly as nice, though. Life's a trade-off, I guess. If traffic doesn't bother you, PSC is still an option.

BTW - PSC doesn't stand for "Pearland Shooting Club". It did, a long time ago, when the club was located in Pearland. Now, the club is no longer in Pearland (it moved decades ago) so, officially, PSC doesn't stand for anything. Yet people still insist that it's the "Pearland Shooting Club" even though it's in Friendswood. Human behavioral inertia is a nearly immovable object, it seems. If you join, ask at orientation (they'll probably cover it without prompting; they did at mine) why something that everyone calls the "Pearland Shooting Club" isn't in Pearland. Depending on who's doing the orientation, you'll either get a disgusted, dismissive grunt or more than an earful. Either way, it'll be entertaining.

I live in Spring and work at Ellington. LOL Of course at 05:00 45S is a bit less busy. LOL

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    BTW - PSC doesn't stand for "Pearland Shooting Club". It did, a long time ago, when the club was located in Pearland. Now, the club is no longer in Pearland (it moved decades ago) so, officially, PSC doesn't stand for anything. Yet people still insist that it's the "Pearland Shooting Club" even though it's in Friendswood.

You know, I've wondered about that for a while.

I go down there every month for their smallbore silhouette matches and never really understood why the "Pearland Shooting Club" was in Friendswood. I kind of figured they had the land back when it was still considered Pearland but Friendswood had since taken it over.

Thanks for the history lesson Ben.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I kind of figured they had the land back when it was still considered Pearland but Friendswood had since taken it over.
    You got it; the club physically moved. I don't know exactly where it was originally but it was in Pearland. They wound up with too many neighbors hemming them in so they moved to the current location.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Don't know when PSC moved to it's present location but it was before 1985. Third Saturday of every month is the IHMSA/NRA Silhouette match. My truck can find it's way there on it's own. Lot of changes over the years dealing with encroachment of the masses but it's a fine club with an active membership.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Don't know when PSC moved to it's present location but it was before 1985.
    My father and I shot our first silhouette match there in the last year of his life, 1979. It was at the current location.

I joined right after that and started getting the newsletter. There was a long story in one issue about how PSC didn't mean anything any more because they had moved out of Pearland many years before that time. The whole story was laid out in great detail, detail which I've completely forgotten after all this time.

Nearly 40 years later, I doubt even most members know where the club was originally and nobody seems to really care about the nomenclature. I just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I live in spring and have membership at Bayou and PSC. It's a drive to both ranges but definitely worth it to me. I just try to go during off peak hours. PSC is the only range that I can really train with my pistol. I spent last weekend with my timer and some silhouettes and worked through a bunch of pistol drills.

825ef593fd3a37110aa3a9ba5795d881.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Anyone in here familiar with the one out in El Campo ?

I grew up in EC, been to that range once - it opened up after I moved away. It's pretty spartan....not as much there (several years ago) as there is in Madisonville.

If you want more information on it, I can give a buddy a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom