• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's time to worry. It's certainly scary... and that's easier said than done.

When I came out of surgery (in the middle of it) I ripped the IV out of my arm, was bleeding all over, punched the doctor, started trying to kick nurses and was destroying everything I could get my hands on. The entire time, I kept screaming "YOU SAID THIS WAS GOING TO BE FUN!" and then collapsed, vomited blood, and went into convulsions. For three weeks after, I was violently ill and couldn't even keep down water.

I had to drink a liquid diet, throw it up, drink more, throw up, drink more OVER AND OVER.

It was a messy three weeks, but came out of it fine. No long term damage, no worse for the wear. They said I was severely allergic to the anesthesia... and I probably shouldn't be put under again unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

My grandfather was the same way, went through everything sober. (Tough as nails that man...)
    Capitol Armory ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Any suggestion or indications of dementia?

Went through that progression with a close family member. It had nothing to do with drugs or anesthesia. It was all about the person's degenerative brain condition.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    No indication whatsoever. And I spoke with her today on the phone and she seemed groggy but definitely coherent. My wife was there all day and said she is improving. She thinks the hospital staff is conspiring. She has a chl and carries daily. She keeps asking for her gun and her keys. Thanks everyone for the prayers and I will update when she's better.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    Can't offer much from a human standpoint, but I have had weird surprising results in anesthesia in animals. Normal animals by all indications, and has had anesthesia using the same medications previously, that do not tolerate it at the next time we did it. Physiology changes over time and with MIL having a gall bladder issue, could be some indication of some undetectable liver dysfunction. The liver does a majority of metabolization of all kinds of substances we ingest or are given and over a lifetime, takes a lot of punishment. Count the continued improvement as a sign of hope and progress in the right direction.

Doc

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Sounds like she has delirium. Not uncommon in hospitalized patients. I wouldn't blame the anesthesia per say (and I really wouldn't blame propofol). Its many things. The surgery itself, the medications (usually the benzodiazepines), the disruption of circadian rhythm, the unfamiliar place, and yes age.

Try and keep her awake during he day and asleep at night. Try to avoid hypnotics you can. Ask the staff to move her to the room with the biggest windows and keep them open during the day.

Get her home as soon as possible. Hope she gets better.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Good to hear things are better. I spoke with my mom(crna for 30+ years) and she says some symptoms sound similar to emergence delirium. However she said typically those patients snap out of quick once they become orientated (similar to waking up out of a deep sleep). She said the length this has persisted would have her seeking a neurological consult.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    No indication whatsoever. And I spoke with her today on the phone and she seemed groggy but definitely coherent. My wife was there all day and said she is improving. She thinks the hospital staff is conspiring. She has a chl and carries daily. She keeps asking for her gun and her keys. Thanks everyone for the prayers and I will update when she's better.

Sounds about right if she's experiencing what my dad does. Hospitals really mess with your mind - especially if you're older. That bit of paranoia goes right along with the disorientation and the screwed up sleep/waking schedule. Once she's finally home, the last traces of this behavior should fade within a day or two. Familiar surroundings do wonders for people.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Great news. She's almost 100 percent back to normal. It was a reaction to all of the meds. If was a truly scary experience. I appreciate all of the prayers.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    They also gave her massive amounts of morphine and dilada. Today they gave her risperdone and last night attivan because she was self injurious.

Morphine does that to me, although not as severe. It's on my medical records that I am allergic and my wife and family knows as well.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hey, glad to see things are good. Glad it obviously isn't what I was going to suggest. Hope she stays healthy! God bless.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Thanks y'all. She's fine now. Back to normal. I am so grateful to have her back. She's a wonderful person. She owns a restaurant with her husband. She's fluent in American sign language and has been an interpretator for over 20 years for different isds. She is my mother in law but is more like a mother to me. Good people for sure.

Top Bottom