• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think that this topic is relevant?

• No. Astigmatism is too difficult to deal with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Overcoming The Challenges Of Astigmatism

Part 1

In 2013, as a member of Triple Canopy's WPPS program I was on the range just having arrived to the U.S. embassy compound (Baghdad, Iraq).

We were zeroing and qualifying with our rifles. When I looked through the red dot sight I saw something that I had never seen before; what was supposed to be a singular red dot looked more like a bright point with multiple offshoots of little red lightening bolts. I figured that my electronic sight was messed up. how wrong I was.

If you see a “comma” or “star” type of pattern when you look through your red dot sight (as I did) instead of a distinguished red dot, you may have a condition known as "astigmatism".

In this series of posts dealing with astigmatism I’ll define what astigmatism is, provide you with internet based recommendations and my suggested resolutions based on my own experience.

Please feel free to share these posts with your fellow tacticians. There may be someone out there looking for this information.

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor.
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• Slide2.jpg
      Slide2.jpg
      14.1 KB · Views: 111
    • Slide3.jpg
      Slide3.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 114

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If your backup sights co-witness with your red dot and the rear is aperture, try using the rear aperture with your red dot and see what happens. This is really only useful for rest or distance shooting, but the 'astigmatic star' is really adequate for CQB, otherwise.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have bad astigmatism, but after 24 years using Cooper preference torics, I was forced to change to the new version from Cooper vision. I can't remember the name but the replaced the torics. I now have 15/20 vision and see everything. All my dots are clear when wearing contacts.

You may look into Lasik surgery, but I've had excellent results with good contact lenses

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    I have bad astigmatism, but after 24 years using Cooper preference torics, I was forced to change to the new version from Cooper vision. I can't remember the name but the replaced the torics. I now have 15/20 vision and see everything. All my dots are clear when wearing contacts.

You may look into Lasik surgery, but I've had excellent results with good contact lenses

I appreciate your thoughs regarding Lasik surgery and the Cooper preference torics. I have more posts that I'll be writing about this topic. There might be some things that will surprise you.

Respectfully,

-Krieger

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Overcoming The Challenges Of Astigmatism - Part 2

In case you missed the first post about overcoming astigmatism you can find that post here:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/overcoming-the-challenges-of-astigmatism-part-1.106623/

In this post, I'll be defining astigmatism in order to ensure that we understand what is actually occurring.

Astigmatism is a type of refractive error in which the eye does not focus light evenly on the retina, due to a variation in the optical power of the eye for light coming from different directions.

This results in distorted or blurred vision at any distance. Other symptoms can include eyestrain, headaches, and trouble driving at night. The underlying mechanism involves an irregular curvature of the cornea or abnormalities in the lens of the eye. Diagnosis is by an eye examination, through objective and subjective refraction.

Now that astigmatism is (generally) identified, my subsequent posts will identify and discuss the internet based suggested resolutions and my own suggestions.

You won’t want to miss out, so make sure you’re keeping an eye out for future posts. Please feel free to share these posts with all of your friends. There may be someone out there looking for this information.

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor

Attachments

• 6.PNG
      6.PNG
      101.1 KB · Views: 99
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 97

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    IMO, I think getting a medical diagnosis determined by a doctor would be the best source for determining whether a person has astigmatism.

The internet, while a valuable tool, and is great for many things, is many times a poor place to get medical, legal, or advice on how to save your marriage.

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    IMO, I think getting a medical diagnosis determined by a doctor would be the best source for determining whether a person has astigmatism.

The internet, while a valuable tool, and is great for many things, is many times a poor place to get medical, legal, or advice on how to save your marriage.

I completely agree with you. That's one of the reasons that I am very careful to explain that the symptoms that I explain "might" be what one is suffering from. I will also explain what worked for me when I had astigmatism, acknowledging that my solutions may not work for another.

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate that very much,

-Krieger

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Information is interesting but what is your expertise in this area?

I don't really consider myself an "expert" in anything. I do however have over 30 years operating in the tactical realm, with 14 years in SOF and 10 years as a contractor.

I would also share that this series of posts will deal with my personal experience in dealing with astigmatism. I believe that experience is a great teacher.

Thank you for your question and providing me with an opportunity to provide a response.

Respectfully,

Krieger

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    I completely agree with you. That's one of the reasons that I am very careful to explain that the symptoms that I explain "might" be what one is suffering from. I will also explain what worked for me when I had astigmatism, acknowledging that my solutions may not work for another.

-Krieger

Thanks for the "like"!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

-Krieger
    Duly noted, and nothing wrong with getting information out there that might help people seek a medical diagnose to determine if that is indeed what they suffer from.

It's a great thread idea and topic, and probably one that should be discussed.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

I have had approximately the same experience. However, if you find your self on your back or looking from an upside down position the weighted contacts tend to shift and distort you vision.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have had approximately the same experience. However, if you find your self on your back or looking from an upside down position the weighted contacts tend to shift and distort you vision.
    Very true. It takes a couple of minutes to rotate though. I don't plan on being upside down or laying on my back that long. Even when they do shift, I just wind up be just as blind as having no contacts so I never get worse than natural vision :)

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    If your backup sights co-witness with your red dot and the rear is aperture, try using the rear aperture with your red dot and see what happens. This is really only useful for rest or distance shooting, but the 'astigmatic star' is really adequate for CQB, otherwise.

I don't know if I responded to your post or not... however, I'd like you to know that I will actually address your suggestion and other suggestions in future posts. I think that you'll find the information very interesting!

Thank you for your information!

-Krieger

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Very true. It takes a couple of minutes to rotate though. I don't plan on being upside down or laying on my back that long. Even when they do shift, I just wind up be just as blind as having no contacts so I never get worse than natural vision :)

I haven't heard of weighted contacts. However that sounds like a pretty viable solution.

I have several more posts in which I'll be discussing some options that I found on the internet, what my thoughts are and what technique I actually used due to my astigmatism.

So make sure you follow my posts! I think that you'll find the information very interesting!

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor!

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    i just deal with the fuzzy dot

Hello A1Oni,

Thank you for your response. It's simple and pragmatic. I think of all the suggestions yours is about as close to what I used to deal with my astigmatism.

To note, I have several more posts in which I'll be discussing some options that I found on the internet, what my thoughts are and what technique I actually used. Make sure that you follow my posts. I think that you'll find a very easy and workable solution!

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor!

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Overcoming The Challenges Of Astigmatism - Part 3

In case you missed the first 2 posts about overcoming astigmatism in shooting you can find posts 1 and 2 here:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/overcoming-the-challenges-of-astigmatism-part-1.106623/

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/overcoming-the-challenges-of-astigmatism-part-2.106625/

These are some of the internet suggestions that I found. I have included my thoughts on these possible solutions.

Internet Suggestion 1: Turn the red dot sight’s brightness down.
    While turning down the brightness will actually work to diminish the “star” or “comma” pattern, it will also diminish your ability to see your dot thus INCREASING the likelihood that you “lose” your red dot completely when placed over a highly illuminated target thus eliminating your ability to engage the target at all. I don’t view this as a very viable situation.

Internet Suggestion 2: Focus on the target.
    From the first class that I received regarding pistol marksmanship I was instructed to “focus on the front sight.” In fact, I actually had to verbally repeat the term, “Front sight! Front sight! Front sight!”, each time that I was firing my weapon. I am not sure of the mechanics of how focusing on the front sight works, I just know that for pinpoint target marksmanship with a pistol, focusing on the front sight has produced the best results for me and for those that I know. The same has proven to be true with rifle marksmanship – center the front sight in the rear peep sight of a rifle.

The suggestion to focus on the target while ignoring the red dot (which in effect is the adjusted front sight) would, therefore be counterproductive to this time honored tradition, demonstrably and measurably proven technique of focusing on the front sight, or in this case, the red dot in order to attain the highest level of marksmanship.

Internet Suggestion 3: Get corrective lenses.
    Corrective lenses could work, and could work well. But they bring in another set of issues themselves with the increased potential for eye infections, having to pay for a contact subscription, purchasing cleaning solutions and creating other issues. Then what do you do if you lose your contact or rub it out of your eye at a critical moment? Not likely I know, but I have seen that happen – in combat, if Afghanistan.

Internet Suggestion 4: Use polarized lenses.
    This might work. I have a LOT of polarized lenses. Why? Because I lose them all of the time and I misplace them and I can’t find them. If this is the route that a person is going to take, this could also work. But be prepared to purchase more than one pair of lenses and to keep a pair or two everywhere.

Internet Suggestion 5: Use your peep sight and red dot at the same time.
    This suggestion could work… If you have the time and discipline to sight in on a target that is shooting at you. That would take a lot of discipline. But you might not have the time to utilize this technique which could result in you being shot and becoming a casualty because you spent too much time trying to center your red dot into your rear peep sight.

One of the biggest reasons to use a red dot is because it allows you to acquire the target so much faster than using traditional peep sights. That’s why red dots replace peep sights. I don’t know if using a red dot and a peep sight would be faster or even easier than just using the front and rear peep sight.

Internet Suggestion 6: Purchase a red dot that diminishes the “comma” or “star” pattern.

While this could work, you would then need to spend more money to purchase a new sight. So then the question arises, what do you do with the old sight? Sell it and take a loss? What if you love the sight that you currently own? I love the Aimpoint T1. I have multiple T1s on my rifles and, for my use, nothing even comes close. If I had to give up my T1s… well I wouldn’t be happy and I wouldn’t be happy with the additional expenditure.

In my next and final post regarding overcoming astigmatism while shooting, I will provide you with the resolution that I personally found to be most useful as a sufferer from astigmatism.

My resolution is based on my personal experience and may not work for everyone. However, if it does work for you it will prevent you from having to buy special contacts, special shooting glasses or polarized lenses, getting expensive surgery, or from having to change your particular optic. In fact, the solution that I utilized was completely free and cost me nothing at all.

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor

Krieger is a former Special Forces Weapons Sergeant (18B), Special Forces Engineer Sergeant (18C), Special Forces Medical Sergeant (18D) and Special Forces Operations Sergeant (E8, 18Z). Krieger deployed to Central America, South America and Afghanistan several times. Krieger was an instructor in Phase II of the Special Forces Qualification Course; Small Unit Tactics (Land Navigation, Pistol and Rifle Marksmanship, Patrolling, Close Quarters Battle and Airborne Operations) and Phase III, the Special Forces Medical Sergeant’s Course and. For the last 10 years he has been employed as a contractor for various organizations including the Department of State (Instructor – High Threat Tactics Course), Triple Canopy (Ambassador’s Protective Detail) and other assignments. Krieger is one of the many instructors that Hybrid Tactics draws from the Special Operations Community, Law Enforcement Agencies, Security Contracting Companies, and from our law abiding populace.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.30.27 AM.png
      Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.30.27 AM.png
      46.1 KB · Views: 92
    • Slide4.jpg
      Slide4.jpg
      12.6 KB · Views: 81
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      54.8 KB · Views: 89
    Top Bottom