• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think that this topic is relevant?

• No. Astigmatism is too difficult to deal with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    I’m so confused by this thread.
    Why don’t people just wear glasses.
    It works.
    The idea of wearing glasses when shooting to overcome astigmatism is covered in Post #3.

An issue with glasses is that they break, they get sweaty, they get wet if you’re swimming. Each of these situations relegates your glasses to being more of a hazard than a help when shooting - which is what this thread is about.

In my next thread I’ll provide a simple solution to overcoming astigmatism while shooting.

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return with Honor!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The idea of wearing glasses when shooting to overcome astigmatism is covered in Post #3.

An issue with glasses is that they break, they get sweaty, they get wet if you’re swimming. Each of these situations relegates your glasses to being more of a hazard than a help when shooting - which is what this thread is about.

In my next thread I’ll provide a simple solution to overcoming astigmatism while shooting.

-Krieger
    I have worn glasses pretty much since the age of 5.
    You are wrong. They have never been a dangerous issue in shooting.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

I guess I have irregular astigmatism... I've never had a pair of glasses that corrected my astigmatism or worked with a red dot.

I've never looked into Lasix. By the time my cataracts are bad enough for lens replacement, I'll probably be dead.

I just buy a 2moa dot to get a 6 moa star and live with it...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've been wearing glasses most of my life. They do not solve the red dot issue.
    Then you need a new Rx. My glasses fix my astigmatism issue >95%.
    I’d take your red dot to the eye doctor.

I’m also not worried about being an internet operator. I’m going to risk it.

edit. I’m not an eye doctor. I’m more than willing to say you have special astigmatism, but I think I’d try another prescription first.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    WTG OP, you got people arguing about astigmatisms, why don't you ask them how they deal with tinnitus now?

You'd get better arguments if you went with a classic 9mm vs 45 acp thread, or maybe a glock vs 1911 thread.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Then you need a new Rx. My glasses fix my astigmatism issue >95%.
    I’d take your red dot to the eye doctor.

I’m also not worried about being an internet operator. I’m going to risk it.

edit. I’m not an eye doctor. I’m more than willing to say you have special astigmatism, but I think I’d try another prescription first.
    Maybe it is a matter of degree of astigmatism. My glasses do not prevent the "comet" effect in red dots. Don't know of anyone with astigmatism that does not have some issue with red dots.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Maybe it is a matter of degree of astigmatism. My glasses do not prevent the "comet" effect in red dots. Don't know of anyone with astigmatism that does not have some issue with red dots.
    With contacts my dots are crisp. Naked eye it's a Starburst mess. I bet an updated rx would help. Or even trying a new doctor.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    With contacts my dots are crisp. Naked eye it's a Starburst mess. I bet an updated rx would help. Or even trying a new doctor.
    I wear glasses, not contacts. Don't know if that makes a difference. I have had astigmatism for decades. Get vision checked by doctor (with excellent reputation) every year.

Reactions: gll

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Multiple redundant threads merged. To the folks who have been reporting this situation, know that the mods are aware.

If Texcross were available for me to run this by, I would have already taken the third-person autobiography and at least one horrendously obvious factual error into account and taken action. As it is, I've given Krieger a direct line to management to try to fix his screw-ups.

Here's hoping he's the real deal. He could be a huge asset to the forum even if he did start out by paying zero attention to the rules.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I wear glasses, not contacts. Don't know if that makes a difference. I have had astigmatism for decades. Get vision checked by doctor (with excellent reputation) every year.
    I switched from contacts to glasses. I no longer have the rotation problem when under a truck or rolling around on the ground shooting.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Also, it sounds like the OP didn’t used to have problems with red dots…he might seriously get a checkup. I’m not sure if cataracts effect red dots. . . But I Wouldn’t be surprised if they did.

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin

I may be wrong. You may be completely correct.

I would just share that I was in the United States' Army Special Operations for 14 years.

From my experience as a Special Forces Solider, I can tell you, when you're wearing glasses in combat, in Afghanistan, sweat will fall from your brow and from your face onto your lenses.

When this happens, and it will happen, the sweat on your lenses diminishes your ability to see effectively through your lenses and thus creates a... dangerous issue in shooting as you can't see clearly through your lenses.

I can further share with you that during my career as a Special Forces Soldier, I was assigned to a water infiltration team. From my personal experience I learned that when you're swimming and come out of the water, that if you're wearing glasses, the water on your lenses will diminish your ability to see effectively through your lenses and you can't see clearly through your lenses and this is a dangerous issue.

Again, you may be right. I may be wrong. I'm only sharing my experience from 14 years in Army Special Operations Command and another 10 as a contractor in the security and defense industry.

-Krieger

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    WTG OP, you got people arguing about astigmatisms, why don't you ask them how they deal with tinnitus now?

You'd get better arguments if you went with a classic 9mm vs 45 acp thread, or maybe a glock vs 1911 thread.

I actually feel that we're having really good discussion.

This is an important question that originally occurred because a former student of mine wrote to me and asked me how to deal with astigmatism. I responded and then decided that there might be others that would appreciate this information.

In my next post I will provide an a workable answer to the whole idea of overcoming astigmatism in shooting.

I do like the idea of introducing a 9mm vs 45 acp threat though... or maybe even 10mm vs 40 cal or something of the like.

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    I've been wearing glasses most of my life. They do not solve the red dot issue.

-Krieger

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hopefully years away for most of you, but had multi focal IOC's put in when had cataract surgery about 5 years ago; then recently had the YAG treatment as well, and all the problems of a lifetime with astigmatism are thus far inconsequential, especially when shooting.

Been nice to unass into a dusty LZ in SE Asia, without needing a gas mask with my contacts, with the peepers I have to today. ;)

Top Bottom