• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

I recently lost 70# on a “program” from U T Health Dallas & LSU Pennington Center. Weight is stable for 2.5 years afterwards.

Although an elder Physician long-ago experienced in “weight management”, I learned lots from the educational parts of that program.

For instance, why Americans are “heavier” than peoples of other nations. This was the very first weight loss program which began with million$ spent on a multi-year University research effort. It was prompted by scientists’ repeated observations that, while they could use “diets” to cause significant weight loss, at one year later, almost all weighed as much or more than at the start. Multiple disciplines participated; including History, Psychology, Metabolism-Chemistry, Exercise Physiology, Dietary, & Sleep Medicine.

Two enduring answers emerged:

1). U S prepared foods are loaded with hidden added SUGARS. Our food labeling laws allow all sorts of deception.

2). Our meal servings have grown to absurdly large amounts. Americans EAT TOO MUCH !

These are both food vendor and restaurant industry efforts to justify ever-increasing prices.

I also learned that, contradictory to current dietary theory, FATS in our diets have little to do with it, and that efforts to eliminate all carbohydrates, such as in “Keto” are misdirected and futile. The “Keto/Adkins” methods do work, but only very temporarily !

This program can be found under names of “Naturally Slim” (N S) and/or “WondR” / (Wonder).

leVieux

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Keeping carbs down to reasonable level, so not much sugar intake these days.

Wife is an outstanding cook, so it is easy to eat too much. That is a constant battle. Don't stuff myself like I did when younger, but still could cut back some on serving size. Good food is really my only vice.

You are right about so many diets resulting in yo-yo weight. Over the years I have seen many people lose huge amounts of weight, only to end up bigger in a couple of years.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    IMO, the elephant in the room issue is self-discipline. This is my personal experience, eat or drink what you will, just in moderation. I love beer, chocolate, desserts, steaks etc., I still will enjoy them, just less, and less often. Also, I think culture plays a role, my Germanic culture, beer, this plays a big part. Also the sedentary lifestyle many people "enjoy", have you ever noticed how many welfare recipients are FAT, do nothing, have your needs met by Uncle Sugar... oh well enough of my wandering pontification.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's really all about calories... There are more, or less, healthy and satisfying ways to limit their intake, but if too many go in, the excess accumulate, too often as fat.
    That's seriously oversimplified. It's possible to simultaneously cut calories and put on weight if other things are happening at the same time.

There are more than a few folks who have been diagnosed with Type 2 DM, cut their calories and started packing on the weight...all because they were prescribed Actos.

Yes, that's an edge case. But it demonstrates that losing weight is vastly more complicated than a simple "calories in/calories out" ratio.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That's seriously oversimplified. It's possible to simultaneously cut calories and put on weight if other things are happening at the same time.

There are more than a few folks who have been diagnosed with Type 2 DM, cut their calories and started packing on the weight...all because they were prescribed Actos.

Yes, that's an edge case. But it demonstrates that losing weight is vastly more complicated than a simple "calories in/calories out" ratio.
    My "Phatt Dr." (if it tastes good? SPIT it OUT! Right NOW!)

I have lost FOUR blame BOWLIN' BALLS since Valentine's Day.

Eat less. Exercise more. Cut back on carbs. Eat crap (broccoli, cauliflower...other yeeech)

Have my glucose level down to "manageable"..level...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It's really all about calories... There are more, or less, healthy and satisfying ways to limit their intake, but if too many go in, the excess accumulate, too often as fat.
    Actually NO. Important factors are Human nature, hurried mealtimes, manipulation of food contents by mfgr’s, deceptive labeling, inadequate exercise, etc.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    >

I recently lost 70# on a “program” from U T Health Dallas & LSU Pennington Center. Weight is stable for 2.5 years afterwards.

Although an elder Physician long-ago experienced in “weight management”, I learned lots from the educational parts of that program.

For instance, why Americans are “heavier” than peoples of other nations. This was the very first weight loss program which began with million$ spent on a multi-year University research effort. It was prompted by scientists’ repeated observations that, while they could use “diets” to cause significant weight loss, at one year later, almost all weighed as much or more than at the start. Multiple disciplines participated; including History, Psychology, Metabolism-Chemistry, Exercise Physiology, Dietary, & Sleep Medicine.

Two enduring answers emerged:

1). U S prepared foods are loaded with hidden added SUGARS. Our food labeling laws allow all sorts of deception.

2). Our meal servings have grown to absurdly large amounts. Americans EAT TOO MUCH !

These are both food vendor and restaurant industry efforts to justify ever-increasing prices.

I also learned that, contradictory to current dietary theory, FATS in our diets have little to do with it, and that efforts to eliminate all carbohydrates, such as in “Keto” are misdirected and futile. The “Keto/Adkins” methods do work, but only very temporarily !

This program can be found under names of “Naturally Slim” (N S) and/or “WondR” / (Wonder).

leVieux
    After my stroke I ballooned up to 245 from 180. I went on keto and came back down to 180. My physician recommends the diet and he has done extensive research as he has his own weight challenges. I have kept the weight off for three years staying on a modified keto. I may cheat and add 10 but strict keto will bring me back down……Edit…thirteen years not three- time does fly…..brain fart.

Last edited:

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    Prior to COVID-19, I was on a weight-loss competition, and joined a TEAM...

My team was "OVER-healthy" individuals, and we done good...
    I actually lost like ~20 LBS, just cutting carbs, absolutely no additional exercise...
    I was the winner of my team, as they weighed themselves AFTER Easter chow, 2020...
    I did BEFORE Easter chow...

I went from beer drinking, to 1/2 shot-gin and tonics,
    Carbs for every meal, to pseudo-Keto every meal.
    I had minimal carbs breakfast, then cut the rest of carbs for the day.

COVID hit, and work travel let me gain over 30 LBS. back,
    as there was less of a selection, especially when traveling to OK and LA.

Been trying to get back to Keto-esque meals, but I love me some beer...
    IPAs to be specific. Elysian Space Dust and VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPAs both at 9% APV, BUT
    I have been pretty good about drinking Michelob Ultras, keeping me at my current weight, for the most part.
    It's eating carbs that I really have issues with, and work stress hadn't been helpful,
    especially with work only allowing $50/day per diem, and you can't eat very healthy on that, unless you eat fast-food salads all day...

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    My wife was a personal chef in New Orleans for years.

Post Katrina the outfit that I was working for sent us in to get the operation up and running. We ended up staying for 9 years because we enjoyed it that much.

We drank like fish, ate like hogs, and enjoyed the nightlife and music almost every night. Living like tourists. Not at first, but after the first year things began to get back to normal and the party started.

She knew a lot of people in the hospitality business from her prior gig so a lot of nights we were at the chef's table in the kitchen.

All of this merriment doesn't come without a price. I gained 50 pounds living like this. When I got to a size 48 waist I tried to pull the reins in.
    360 pounds.

Now I'm 270 and still struggling. Every time I see a weight loss thread I read it because I'm a lot better reading about it than I am doing it.

I wouldn't trade those years away though.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

One of my points is that extensive multi-Million $ University research by actual Scientists proved that “Keto” and Adkins are not the best ways to manage weight problems, long range.

They, and I, used ketogenic diets decades before “Keto” & Adkins were devised, and have definitely found something much better and less restrictive.

The reasons that we Americans are more obese than those of any other nation are:

Hurried mealtimes

”Hidden” sugars / deceptive foods labeling

&

Cultural overeating: “Children starve in India, eat it ALL’, “supersizing”, massive portions, excessive breakfasts, etc.

BTW, “Keto” refers to systemic ketogenesis caused by severe carbohydrate restriction, which “numbs” hunger. Neither of the fad diets commonly reaches actual ketotic levels.

leVieux

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Prior to COVID-19, I was on a weight-loss competition, and joined a TEAM...

My team was "OVER-healthy" individuals, and we done good...
    I actually lost like ~20 LBS, just cutting carbs, absolutely no additional exercise...
    I was the winner of my team, as they weighed themselves AFTER Easter chow, 2020...
    I did BEFORE Easter chow...

I went from beer drinking, to 1/2 shot-gin and tonics,
    Carbs for every meal, to pseudo-Keto every meal.
    I had minimal carbs breakfast, then cut the rest of carbs for the day.

COVID hit, and work travel let me gain over 30 LBS. back,
    as there was less of a selection, especially when traveling to OK and LA.

Been trying to get back to Keto-esque meals, but I love me some beer...
    IPAs to be specific. Elysian Space Dust and VooDoo Ranger Imperial IPAs both at 9% APV, BUT
    I have been pretty good about drinking Michelob Ultras, keeping me at my current weight, for the most part.
    It's eating carbs that I really have issues with, and work stress hadn't been helpful,
    especially with work only allowing $50/day per diem, and you can't eat very healthy on that, unless you eat fast-food salads all day...
    Travel is hard on the diet.

When I was traveling every week and eating out every meal, the weight got bad. Lost over 30 pounds when I was able to stop eating out every meal.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    a few observations from the countries I have been to:
    -they don’t have 5 fast food restaurants on every corner like we do. ~1/3 of Americans eat fast food every day.
    - a lot don’t have money to spend on food like we do.
    -most of the food doesn’t taste as good to me.
    -people seem to be more active.

One of the problems with fad diets that people try is that they tend to require extreme changes. Losing weight is simple. Consume less calories than you burn.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom