Target Sports

Owning multiple handguns in the same caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    (11) 9mm, (6) 357 mag, (4) .45 acp, (1) .40sw, (1) .22lr is what I currently have. Im in the camp that it’s good to have a lot of different calibers because it opens up more possibilities when there’s a shortage. Keep plenty of ammo for the calibers that are used the most and enough of the other calibers for a couple of weekend outings.
    Gun Zone Deals

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    This is where the Dan Wesson revolvers can help, while technically one gun, by being able to swap out the barrels to different lengths turns that one gun into several configurations depending on the needs of the moment.

Another option are the Sig P250 and related models. I have the 2sum set that has a subcompact frame, slide, and barrel as well as a full size frame, slide, and barrel. You just move the fire control group to the frame,slide,barrel combo you want. I procured an change kit for the compact frame, slide, and barrel so I know have 3 frame,slide, barrel options. But it gets better, being it was in .40, I just had to buy the proper length barrels in .357 sig and it now becomes 6 variations.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.
    I have multiple of handguns of the same and different calibers. I can't imagine getting rid of any because of caliber.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Ive downsized on pistols, no more .45. Divested my glocks, right now all i have is my M9A3 and some revolvers, all .38 or .357. Not counting weird inherited guns like .32 long colt

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    (11) 9mm, (6) 357 mag, (4) .45 acp, (1) .40sw, (1) .22lr is what I currently have. Im in the camp that it’s good to have a lot of different calibers because it opens up more possibilities when there’s a shortage. Keep plenty of ammo for the calibers that are used the most and enough of the other calibers for a couple of weekend outings.
    Good on ya!
    1919a4.jpg
    NEVER put yourself in a "no ammo" position!
    I have to keep a large food supply on hand especially for my "little Frien'" see below.
    I am an avid re-loader for fun and some calibers that I like are never in stock especially BIG Bore rifle ammo. Our Commie Governor in Illinois put the majority of the small shops out of business for good!
    One local gun shop that I had been a friend of the owner's family and client for were forced out of business after 47 years! When they were about to shut their doors< I approached the widow of the owner and purchased what was left in stock. That was before the current panic set in. then put is in a room in my basement. Not until the shut-in came did i finally figure what I had bought. Just bought it as it sat in the back of the store so the owner and her daughter did not have to try to sell it from a storage locker. That was about two years ago. NO guns! Those had been brokered off . Just ammo and re-loading, cleaning supplies holsters, etc. I sold almost enough of the things I did not want to offset the purchase cost. I took tubs of holsters and belts to gun shows (NEW STUFF} dumped them in piles. Name Brand nice ones put up a sign "Your choice" $12.00" I still have large Rubbermaid tubs of cleaning brushes & mops. Whew!
    This is my baby that has an insatiable appetite!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This is where the Dan Wesson revolvers can help, while technically one gun, by being able to swap out the barrels to different lengths turns that one gun into several configurations depending on the needs of the moment.

Y'mean like......

And yes, this is a "real" set...their "2nd Series" came in this style of case, before they got all fancy.

Dan Wesson set.jpg

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Y'mean like......

And yes, this is a "real" set...their "2nd Series" came in this style of case, before they got all fancy.

View attachment 256744

Exactly…except mine came with a spare cylinder so I can go from .22lr to .22mag.

I also have a .357 and .44mag with multiple barrels but not pistol packs.

63c6dfb9bfa0e849442e36a051b64a18.jpg

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Y'mean like......

View attachment 256744
    Wow I have that same set. I bought it back in1979 mine has the fitted velour lining and No logos 0n the grips a walnut small grip and no Pachmeyer grip. Same accessories, gauges and other color front sights. Neat set!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm down to 9mm, 12 gage, 556. Ammo.is just too expensive to have all the calibers I used to.

We just added 380 for the wife

So yes all handguns are one caliber now. As much as I miss 45acp I doubt I will buy any handguns in that caliber. I want a 10mm piece too but I resist.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I'm down to 9mm, 12 gage, 556. Ammo.is just too expensive to have all the calibers I used to.

We just added 380 for the wife

So yes all handguns are one caliber now. As much as I miss 45acp I doubt I will buy any handguns in that caliber. I want a 10mm piece too but I resist.
    Well friend, Herein lies the quandary. Many decisions come down to choice versus priorities. Just what do you want weighed against what do you need. That choices are as individual as what is in front of you and where do you want to go. I decided to plan for a historic gun collection as long as those things of priority were met first. Certainly I "wanted" that new car, a house that would eat me alive and had to live beyond my means for??? Okay, I live within my means all bills are paid and I take care of my wife. I have been married to her for 36 years and have shown her how to manage money. A tough thing for women....lol I do not have an extravagant bank account... Banks basically piss me off! Establishment puppets that take and make money on your dime. But I digress.
    I started out in firearms buying what I could afford on the premise to buy the best that I could afford. I tried to stat away from junk. You can build an immense collection of junk and then you have an IMMENSE collection of junk. I felt that is was far better to have a small but important impressive collection of what was my passion. There is a question..... ????? What really trips your trigger???
    It is foolish to buy or try to buy everything. You cannot! By that same token you will have a collection of? I have helped fellow collectors with knowledge and information on HOW to collect The what is their decision. A close friend had a similar problem and I asked him why? What do you really like? he was fascinated about Civil War rifles and carbines. I asked him to show me one. He didn't have even one but drooled every time one came into view. He asked fro help as to how? Let's get rid of the ones you do NOT NEED! Take those return and get started. It took a few years (ten or so) His rifle (musket) and carbine collection is quite nice and he is proud. Not big but about thirty or so so nice pieces! AND it is growing one piece at a time. He did keep those guns necessary for hunting, shooting sports and home protection. He no longer haunts the gun shows for anything he can find.
    Time are fuc**d up like a football bat. Ammo is tough just to have any on hand. People that all they want to do is shoot up what they can find ,,, that is their choice and can be a waste too. If you have the money to toss downrange. Learning to reload and be able to conserve that resource is also an option to the ammo situation. I reload A LOT! Not only because what was readily available is now expensive but also calibers that are let's say a little esoteric. some of the calibers that I load:
    .30 Mauser Pistol. .32-20 WCF, .38-40 WCF, .44-40 WCF. .44 Ballard Long, .44 S&W American, .44 S&W Russian, .44 S&W Special. .44S&W Magnum .38 Short Colt, .38 Long colt .38 S&W. .357 S&W Magnum. .44 Remington. .45 S&W Schofield, .45 Colt , .45 Auto Rim. .455 Webley, and even .50-50 US Pistol. some odd foreign metric pieces. .577 Nitro Express. .577 Snider. .577 BPE. .45-70... 90... 110 and 125. .50 70 US, .50-90 and .50-110. and more... whew! I have Lyman production casting equipment molds and lubricator sizing presses. I keep at least a half tone of pure lead and alloy bars.
    I keep pretty busy to keep my mind off of riding the world of Communists. I call them Obama Zombies and it IS becoming a target rich environment.
    Keep the faith and PERSEVERE! Talk to me... ANYONE ... ANYTIME!
    WOW... did I get carried away or what????????????????

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Ya really don't wanna see my ammo shelves...lol
    I would show picture of my stash but that would be problematic maybe for the same reasons I have ... these hills have eyes and I would make enemies. Some things I can but WON"T show in any forum. In person is another story entirely. Trust is then the big factor... loose lips sink ships then come war. Come to where I live, we can meet for coffee and a talk then just maybe... I have people that I have known for decades that WILL not be allowed in my home.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    coffee and a talk then just maybe... I have people that I have known for decades that WILL not be allowed in my home.

Hear ya. I've had people get upset w/me when I refuse to sell them a gun I own - simply because I don't like the way they act/carry themselves. As far as them having seen what I own....meh - entering uninvited is a bad idea around here.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hear ya. I've had people get upset w/me when I refuse to sell them a gun I own - simply because I don't like the way they act/carry themselves. As far as them having seen what I own....meh - entering uninvited is a bad idea around here.
    People in general can be just self-important and plainly ignorant. I see it all too much with what I do. Long time acquaintances (friends) that know what I do and have done in this field can be a little obnoxious. Because they know that I am an avid reloader/shooter assume that I sell ammo. In Illinois that is a dangerous practice without certification. The word got around of my purchase of the remaining inventory when a local long-time shop was forced to close. "Got any of that ammo for sale?" Nope! I sold it before the toilet paper panic set in! Then I am an asshole for NOT giving it up! People I do not even know have approached me. Who in the name of "Hogan's Goat" ran their mouth? Another good reason people are not allowed in my dungeon.
    I do NOT sell guns. Yes I have an FFL but due to my particular insurance demands I am required to have it, I do on occasion make horse trades.
    It is MY life and MY stuff and I DO NOT do anything ILLEGAL for ANYONE!
    "Not Sorry" not even Resee's.... lol

Top Bottom