Lynx Defense

Owning multiple handguns in the same caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    For me 45ACP, for my wife 9mm. We have several pistols in those calibers….and plenty of ammo.
    Good on Ya and your wife too!
    My wife is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, she served with the Combat Seabee's at pearl harbor during Vietnam. She loves her 1911 and holds the Navy Distinguished Expert medal for the .45, M-16 and the M-60 machine gun. I do not give her any lip! She is a constant surprise! We were at a gun show and a vendor had an M-60 n display. While she was looking at it, the guy made some wise crack. She looked up at him and asked if she could look at it? He just snickered and said sure. She detail stripped the weapon and piled up the parts and quietly told him "You can put it back together because I already know how!
    I had to go to the head.....

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I haven't read the whole thread. Probably already been mentioned that those who consolidated calibers are in worse shape during an ammo shortage than those with multiple calibers.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I haven't read the whole thread. Probably already been mentioned that those who consolidated calibers are in worse shape during an ammo shortage than those with multiple calibers.

Well.....yes and no. There ARE those that ah..."accumulated" sufficient quantities of ammo so that's not of issue. Of course, they also usually have several hundred rounds for each of the "off" calibers they have...lol

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    zombomeme18052021000346.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I think that depends upon the person and their specific situation going into the ammo shortage.

Personally, I like more options, and always have. So having more calibers is just something that suits my own specific needs and wants.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Good on Ya and your wife too!
    My wife is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, she served with the Combat Seabee's at pearl harbor during Vietnam. She loves her 1911 and holds the Navy Distinguished Expert medal for the .45, M-16 and the M-60 machine gun. I do not give her any lip! She is a constant surprise! We were at a gun show and a vendor had an M-60 n display. While she was looking at it, the guy made some wise crack. She looked up at him and asked if she could look at it? He just snickered and said sure. She detail stripped the weapon and piled up the parts and quietly told him "You can put it back together because I already know how!
    I had to go to the head.....

Mad John,

RotflmRao!!

It just doesn't pay to mess about with old Navy CPOs.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

TX OMFS,

AGREED IF the person doesn't HAVE enough ammo "to weather the storm" & in the calibers that the shooter has.

I suspect between my 2 brothers & I that we will NOT have to buy any more factory ammo in this life, other than some .40S&W for the S&W 4046 Tactical that I'm buying to concealed carry OCONUS.
    (I could also use some more .38 SUPER for the 1911 pistols but that's optional.)

These days most of our shooting is CB loads.

just my OPINION, satx

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    Can always look at it like, ok more popular caliber, means be more of it out there, maybe not for sale but it is out there so in case of emergency it can be found some where. Got rid of 1 caliber the last time, mainly have 9 now, it is used worldwide by our military and others military, much less very popular among police, so that is a whole lot of ammo.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    One of my buddies decided to only have 9mm pistols. He has three, and lots of ammo for them. They are all Glocks and all take the same mags.

I have this and that, but probably didn't do it right.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    With a couple of exceptions I tend to have two of each caliber. More in my favorite (.38/.357) and just one in some, but most of those I'd buy another in a heartbeat given the right gun at the right price.

Why? You need a backup in case the first one goes down for maintenance.

Hank1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020
    I have several in different calibers but also have several 9 and .45 caliber pieces. Mostly because I don't want to have to buy 6 different types of ammo.

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    I think there are various reasons people have multiple pistols in the same caliber.

For some, it's just that they really enjoy a particular cartridge, and enjoy shooting it in different types of pistols. Example: 45 ACP and 1911's. I know a few shooters that think the only cartridge acceptable to own in a 1911 is the 45ACP, and own nothing but 1911's in that cartridge.

Some own multiple guns in the same cartridge because of logistics, if that is the right word. That it eliminates having to own more than one cartridge. All their pistols and even their carbines are of one cartridge. They only have to worry about one cartridge size that fits all they own.

For some it's economics. They see it being cheaper to just stock one caliber for all their pistols, and not having to stock different calibers when they shop for ammo. It also makes it easier if that person is a reloader as well. One type of bullet, one type of powder and primers covers all their reloading needs for all their guns.
    I own several handguns in .45 ACP and a couple of 9s. I own several rifles in 5.56 and one in .22. My reasoning is that I reload .45 and 5.56, and can tailor those reloads to the applications, i.e., lighter for competitionn and practice, hotter for hunting and whatever.

bwdilli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    I have handguns in multiple calibers.
    I have handguns in the same caliber.
    I have handguns in the same model but different calibers.
    I have handguns in the same model and same caliber.

Diversity in arms can be good. But redundancy is a wonderful thing. No need to learn another manual of arms if I don't want to.

A lot of you seriously need to step up your game.

Just Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2021
    St. Louis
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.
    Don’t fret it good folk. I happen to own 5 different handguns in 9mm. I own the Glock 21 in 45 ACP but the rest are all 9mm. Just like the different weapons and styles that are offered and trust me there are plenty. The trusted Beretta 92 FS, Canik TP9SF and the one series elite sf from Canik as well as the Sar9 from Sarsilmaz and my trusty EDC Ruger EC9s which is a joy to shoot and no one even knows you have it on you. So there is no right or wrong in my humble opinion and if you want to buy 10 more in 9mm then go for it good folk.

Top Bottom