Hurley's Gold

Owning multiple handguns in the same caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I own multiple handguns in identical calibers.
    No real reason. I just like the looks and function of the different designs.
    A 1911 is not a CZ is not a SIG is not a S&W.
    Then again i have identical guns in different calibers. 1911 in .22lr is not a 1911 in 9mm is not a 1911 in 10mm.
    The correct answer, as always, is get both.

This is the Way.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think there are various reasons people have multiple pistols in the same caliber.

For some, it's just that they really enjoy a particular cartridge, and enjoy shooting it in different types of pistols. Example: 45 ACP and 1911's. I know a few shooters that think the only cartridge acceptable to own in a 1911 is the 45ACP, and own nothing but 1911's in that cartridge.

Some own multiple guns in the same cartridge because of logistics, if that is the right word. That it eliminates having to own more than one cartridge. All their pistols and even their carbines are of one cartridge. They only have to worry about one cartridge size that fits all they own.

For some it's economics. They see it being cheaper to just stock one caliber for all their pistols, and not having to stock different calibers when they shop for ammo. It also makes it easier if that person is a reloader as well. One type of bullet, one type of powder and primers covers all their reloading needs for all their guns.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    During and after the last ammo shortage, lots of people narrowed down their gun collections to a single caliber for handguns. I took the opposite approach and decided to make sure I had at least one gun in all the most popular cartridges. Now that 9mm is so hard to find some of those people are regretting that decision.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    During and after the last ammo shortage, lots of people narrowed down their gun collections to a single caliber for handguns. I took the opposite approach and decided to make sure I had at least one gun in all the most popular cartridges. Now that 9mm is so hard to find some of those people are regretting that decision.

Excellent point. I was caught under-supplied with 9mm, and still am, and that needs to be corrected, but, I have more than an ample stock of 45 ACP and 44 Magnum to offset that scenario.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When the beer flu madness started, I owned 3 handguns in 9mm and had a few hundred rounds on hand. Somehow I wound up with a much higher demand for 9mm, and it took a while but I finally built up my supply. I already had an adequate supply of 45 acp, 10mm, 357 mag, 44 mag, and 380.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Handguns

22lr - 3 autoloaders; 3 SA Revolvers; 1 DA Revolver
    22WMR - 2 SA Revolvers
    22 TCM - 2 autoloaders
    9mm - 5 autoloaders
    38Sp/357Mag - 2 DA Revolvers
    10mm/357 Sig - 1 autoloader
    45ACP - 4 autoloaders
    460Rowland - 1 autoloader

I've heard it said that Variety Is The Spice Of Life. Stay Spicey!

And, I like PCCs so there is at least one carbine partner for all except 22WMR.

To the question, my plan remains: if it's a live round, I can use it. To someone wondering why I'd skip a common round like 40 ... it runs like a top in my 10mm autoloaders.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    PICS or it didn’t......................oh, it you:roflsmile:

LOL!!

Just to prove my efforts at diversity.....

2nd safe.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber?

According to my wife, one is too many for some calibers.

But seriously, it easier to convince her to let me get one if I don't have one in that caliber.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I should also add that I have a few pistols in the same caliber but I do really like having multiple different calibers so I can always find ammo for something. Kinda like not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I only now have 4 calibers in pistols : 9mm, .45acp, 5.7x26, and .22lr
    Most of my pistols are 9mm (coincidentally 9 of them), 2 .45ACP (1911's of course), only one for 5.7, and 2 for .22lr

Top Bottom