Venture Surplus ad

Owning multiple handguns in the same caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm down to 3 handgun calibers, without a lot of desire to add. Working guns (EDC / primary self defense pistols) are 9mm for my wife and I. 9 is fine, I sold my last .45 off months ago.

I've got a .357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk inherited. I'm not a big revolver guy, but its a good feeling gun, and I keep it loaded up with snake shot. Haven't had a shoot a snake with it yet, but I've also got some 157 grain and some 125 grain JHP's for it, plus some .38 spl too.

The other handguns are technically in a rifle caliber - .22lr. We have a couple .22's because why wouldn't you?

I'm not 100% opposed to adding another caliber back, but it would have to be because I got a great deal on a gun in a different caliber. I love .45's, but don't love the cost of feeding them anymore. I'll take the right gun in .40, but it is not a caliber I love. .357Sig? I've owned a couple and the *only* gun I'd ever consider getting in that caliber and going back into it would be a Glock 31, with the purpose of turning it into a race gun.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Owning multiple handguns and many in the same caliber to my personal taste is the ultimate oxymoron situation. I have never considered what is too many handguns? Calibers at that point has no consideration as to quantity.
    If you get to my strange position of..... can your collection become so large that it consumes you? When you have invested over fifty years and most all of your spare and expendable income on the investment as a passion. Couple that with extensive study of the history involving your particular passion and their role in where we are. Calibers become a mere footnote. After acquiring hundreds of hand guns, some of the same model but in differing variations the whole can expand exponentially! Take for example, Colt's pistols from early model percussion revolvers through todays pieces. Or just the study and collecting of Colt semi-automatic pistols is a field all of it's own! Heck you can collect just ammunition in all of its variations and designs and never see all of it! My collection of 100+ cartridge hand guns is far from complete. Take for example Colt's Model 1877 DA revolvers. At first glance would not seem like a big deal ... uh oh that little six gun by itself makes me nuts.... er. I did not know until I was hooked by the "lightning" Colt! It is just NUTS! The variations of the "Three Revolvers" in that DA model is baffling!
    Have fun and NEVER give up! There is just too much to do!

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.
    Do you like to eat the same meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 365 days a year? Variety is the spice of life. Once you have acquired the basics, the sky's the limit in either direction.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I don’t own a single 22

02B9AE26-5DAB-46AD-B470-C65F618B7708.gif

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.
    This question is probably more fitting to ask a group not like us.

Most of us are multiples of the same caliber and multiple calibers and that is obviously the correct choice.

That being said, if you are buying handgun #2 in the current ammo situation it should probably be in the same caliber as handgun #1 if you can find that ammo. If you can't find that ammo then a different caliber may be a better choice.

Every situation is different but the correct answer is to buy them all.
    c10f9998e79ce5329cb0a9c1274afa40.jpg

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Are you really speaking of caliber or cartridge? I have 4 9mm or some what of? 2 are lugers and 2 are 357sig. Then 4 40cal.....2 40s&w.....2 10mm. 2 lonely 45acp...1 44mag and a very lonely 50ae.... last 5.7x28. With that being said, none are revolvers. Hopefully will be adding some revolvers in the next year? Lately just using my bolt action collection.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I have multiple handguns in different calibers, and multiple handguns of the same caliber.
    What Cam said. My fetish is 9mm and I collect them by different manufacturers and sizes. I’m a huge fan of the European made semi-autos. Revolvers are the love of my life. I have a collection of 357 Mags ranging from a Kimber K6S compact to a Ruger GP 100.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    No you should sell them all and buy 1 really expensive one.

Ted Nugent's Bren Ten or something like that. Get it gold plated and engraved with some pre-ban ivory grips.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

Look in a mechanic's toolbox. Do you see only one type of screwdriver? Or one type of wrench? Or only one type of attachment for various tools?

Firearms/Pistols are tools. And various tools are required for various situations.

Unless it's a 10mm wrench or socket. Can't have too many of those.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I prefer a variety of firearms
    A variety of ammo? Not so much.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Do you like to eat the same meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 365 days a year? Variety is the spice of life. Once you have acquired the basics, the sky's the limit in either direction.
    Absolutely! I am the living proof of that, but, it has become apparent to me that my appetite is insatiable. Ad long as I have the funds.... lol
    Sometimes I eat green sauce Tamales and a beer for breakfast!
    NEVER eat Tofu which tastes and has the consistency of something you do not want in your mouth!

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Look in a mechanic's toolbox. Do you see only one type of screwdriver? Or one type of wrench? Or only one type of attachment for various tools?

Firearms/Pistols are tools. And various tools are required for various situations.

Unless it's a 10mm wrench or socket. Can't have too many of those.
    YOU are correct! With all of that but I have one exception and that is merely individual choice. You know, like driving a Jeep or a Prius....
    I do not have nor have any need for a 10mm or .40 cal. I am alot "old school" like my .45's and .44's. lots of varieties for any occasion or party! Fun huh?

Top Bottom