• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erndog105

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Can you tell me what is the advantage of + P ammo in a CCW weapon? Is there any impact on expandability or penetration and is there any chance of thru and thru?
    Thanks

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Completely depends on the caliber. Some it may make sense, if the gun can shoot it reliably, some it makes no sense. It's not good for a regular diet for some guns either.

More pressure, higher velocity. Determine if the caliber you're shooting will be more effective with it and smaller bullet or standard pressure and larger and the bullet design as well as what you need it to do.

For example, I don't think, and I think majority agrees, that a .45 ACP is best with a good standard pressure 230gr JHP.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    +P comes in handy for short barreled handguns. Most ballistics charts show the performance out of a 5" barrel (.45 ACP for example), but velocity and energy (performance) drop when shot out of a 3.5-4" carry barrel.

The standard 230gr .45 is great out of a 5" barrel Govt model, but not so great out of a an 3.5" Officer model, at least when we are talking hollow points that need to expand properly.

I carry a Glock 19 and my wife carries a Kahr K9, we both use 124gr +P ammo since the barrels are shorter.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    When reading this thread a question popped up.

Regular loads, and +P have different ballistics... whats the difference in trajectory at say 15/25meters?

What I'm trying to ask is; you train how you fight.. so if every time you go to the range you use normal pressure rounds, will that affect your point of aim being proper when it comes down to a self defense situation and your fire arm is loaded with +P ammo?

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    If I am not mistaken, the difference in trajectory at 15/25 meters is going to be negligable, but I too would still like to see some hard data on it....

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Frequently the +P load will print lower at <25 yards than a standard pressure bullet of the same weight. The bullet leaves the barrel before recoil can affect the gun. A slower bullet will still be in the barrel when the recoil forces begin to move the gun so when it exits the muzzle, the barrel is pointing slightly higher than it was when the trigger was squeezed.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Thanks for the info! I think I might try this out from a rest... I'm pretty sure the difference is negligable, just as Dirty D remarked, but I'm the type of person who like to confirm these things himself :)

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I have fired different courses with both FMJ practice ammo and my +P hollow point carry loads. My performance on the courses was the same in every case. In fact, there was no way to tell which targets were hit with +P or standard ammo, it's not like we actually measured to see if the COM holes were .25" lower on one target or the other.

In my case, once I settled on a carry and practice load, I did fire them from a rest to see the difference out to 15 meters, there was no discernable difference to be seen. Right now, those loads are 115gr CCI Blazer for practice and 124gr +P Remington Golden Sabers.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The shorter barrel argument does make some sense, from a velocity, expandability stand point with JHP's for SD.

But as far as accuracy, keep in mind, when talking SD, a 1" group at 15 yards etc. is not the goal. Target shooting yes, but not stopping a threat. Actually, for SD you actually want a couple of rounds in a 4"-6" group so it's effective. You don't want to put 2 rounds in one hole; you'll have wasted that 2nd shot and doubled risk.

Anyhow, it happens all the time, that we try to pair gun and ammo and train and talk about tight groups (target shooting) and effective ballistics (SD) when both are 2 different kinds of shooting.

Like not being happy a 3" 1911 won't shoot a tight group like a 5" gun. It's irrelevant for the purpose of the 3" gun unless someone is competing with a 3" gun.

Same goes for people looking for tight slide fitment for a gun that's used for SD, not competition. There's a reason old Colt's rattle. They're toleranced for battle, not target. They may not be as accurate, but they'll still shoot wet, muddy, dunked in salt water, dropped in sand etc. After all that, being able to group 3 shots in 1" at 25 yards means nothing if that tight, accurate gun can't fire because of all the crud. I just want my loose gun to hit the target and I go home alive.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom