+P in P30?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jgedmond, Dec 14, 2008.

1. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I pretty much settled on Speer GDHP 124gr +P for my personal defense and carry loads. I know that these are no problem with my USP9 and the HK manual expressly states that +P is OK. However, the P30 manual does not recommend +P loads.

Since I am still breaking in the P30 (only ~150 rounds so far), I have not put any +P through it. Any opinions or experience with +P in a P30?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's fine, I put +P+ through mine on top of a diet of other +P loads.

HK is going to put whatever they can to avoid being sued in the manual. The gun will eat thousands of rounds of +P and even has a buffer in the recoil spring assembly.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It is my understanding that the P30, HK45/C and many of the USP variants were tested at the factory (during their endurance testing) with thousands of rounds of +P. I think the recommendation against it is more a CYA thing, but judging by everything else I've seen it sounds like pretty much any USP variant is GTG with +P and a relatively steady diet of it as well.

4. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Cool. I figured the P30 could physically take it, but the difference in the manual language was odd to me since these are both date code AI guns.

5. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    thanks HK_Fiend

6. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Does it actually say +P is not recommended, or does it not say anything at all?

7. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    My "P Series Operator's Manual " says that it was "Revised April 2007" at the bottom of the title page. On page 18 at the end of Section 4 "Ammunition" it says and I quote:

"NOTE: Use of +P and +P+ ammunition accelerates wear and reduces the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the P Series pistols, and is not recommended. For further information on ammunition selection, contact HKI Customer Service at 205-655-8299."

I called HK-USA and the guy basically parroted the manual at first and then kinda grudgingly said well a little +P won't hurt it.

8. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks jg, very interesting.