• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drabfour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Tyler
    Our military didn't spend our money on the other pistols.
    I don't see their failure rate as being relevant.
    So why is it relevant here? Or you just don’t like the pistol itself? The government’s going to spend your money regardless.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've nothing against any pistol.
    I'm just dismayed that the prior testing didn't reveal these issues, or, it did and some bureaucrat ignored it and awarded a contract.

drabfour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Tyler
    I'm just dismayed that the prior testing didn't reveal these issues, or, it did and some bureaucrat ignored it and awarded a contract.

I’m with you having owned a P320. Who knows with the people in charge of making the decisions.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Who got paid to pick that piece of crap after the rigorous testing?
    I'm a bit dismayed by that report, other than the drop issue which I had never yet an AD, I have fired both hollow points and ball ammo out of my p320 9mm hundreds of rounds of each and never once had those failures. So I don't know how or what exactly they had done to get those failures. I picked the P320 for how it fits my hand and how it shoots, and I have found it to be excellent in those regards.

Reactions: MTA

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Apparently it's the fix to the drop fire issue that's causing the new issues, I think I've read somewhere yesterday.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Wow, I guess maybe it's good I hadn't sent mine in yet.

other issues the Pentagon’s testing exposed: in two instances, the trigger assemblies in pistols splintered apart during use – an issue that had never come up before Sig implemented changes to the trigger to resolve the drop-test failure. This means the new components intended to solve one problem may have inadvertently caused another.

https://sofrep.com/98976/dod-evaluation-says-armys-new-sig-sauer-p320-service-pistol-riddled-issues/

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015

Excuse me while I too :deadhorse: - (just like those that have not bothered to do their due diligence in informing themselves of this 13 year process of picking a new handgun for the military, many of which, who have never bothered to read the 351 page RFP, aka the "request for proposal" submitted by the government on the requirements and testing procedures for the MHS selection program - which were ignored - resulting in an inferior handgun being selected)

I believe Nathaniel F was correct here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/07/09/mhs-failure-sig-vs-glock-depth-analysis/

when he opined: "The announcement was made the day before the inauguration of the new administration, which was expected to carry with it a massive change leadership. Specifically, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter would be replaced with General James Mattis. Mattis, a Marine known for being a tenacious and hard-nosed but fair leader, was already by that time expected to shake up the defense landscape as Secretary. With MHS already on the chopping block and Army Chief of Staff Mark Milley having publicly denounced the program’s lagging time schedule, it is not unreasonable to suggest that program management feared it would be cancelled outright. In that event, it’s likely that the program’s officers were searching for ways to end the program early and declare a winner, before it could be cancelled by a porkfat-boiling Secretary Mattis.

Assuming this theory is true (and it may not be), soliciting final bids and down-selecting to just one contract would be the perfect way to close out the program early while still having done due diligence. If this is how it went down, then I applaud the MHS team for making a selection and salvaging a 13 year old effort that might otherwise have been canceled with nothing to show for it. Although SIG would probably not have been my pick, it is very likely that the P320 will do just fine as a standard handgun, and I have nothing but congratulations for SIG for their big win."

I do not agree however with the failure to hold the "49,300 round per system" tests, (given the RFP was issued Aug 28th, 2015, which makes one wonder what they were doing for more than a decade coming up with this RFP, except spending taxpayer's money) - as this would have put the failure rate of the full-sized SIG 320 pistol even more glaringly inept against that of the Glock (and it was already bad enough after 12,500 rnds) - making the fact that they only fired 500 rounds thru the SIG 320 Compact a moot point.

Fact of the matter is the Glock is and always was the better more reliable handgun and in the long run the $100 million supposedly saved by selecting the SIG will not only cost more in the long run, both in money and more importantly to me in "BLOOD" (for if you are drawing your handgun in "combat" things have definitely gone to hell-in-a-hand-basket). It'll be no more reliable under combat conditions than the Beretta the military currently had and possibly even less reliable given the "no sand or mud testing" done on the SIG, which the Beretta had before "it's" selection - so once again the government has lived up or down to it's expectations, depending on your point of view and placed the "lined pockets of politicians" over the lives of our soldiers, IMHO. (as well as others, noted by Leroy Thompson in Nov. last year): https://www.swatmag.com/article/top-choice-elite-military-units-specops-glocks/
    https://www.swatmag.com/article/top-choice-elite-military-units-specops-glocks/
    excerpt:
    "There are myriad reasons why the Glock has become so popular in special ops units. Cost is a factor, though most special ops units have more generous budgets than conventional military units.

An important factor is durability. Special ops units shoot their pistols more than other units, and Glocks are legendary for holding up to a lot of rounds, especially those chambered for 9x19mm."

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    no one told me I'd be getting a new decal and P320 patch. I'm signing up my new (to me) 9mm tonight!

and apparently my wife started decorating

trigger so far feels a tiny bit spongy and gritty. Its super thin too, like the short reach triggers they offer in the P22- guns.

Gonna clean it up (i hate sig lube) and dry fire it a bit before slapping in the Apex advanced

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    0be1566683f634c0aaf9e25371d5627a.jpg

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I keep seeing the P320 patch. I did not get one. Guess thats what I get for signing up so early!
    Hey man I was serious about that patch. I got my shipping notice this morning so I will have my p320 back on tuesday. If you want to pm me your address, I can drop it in an envelope for you assuming they give me a patch too. If I keep it, it will just stay in a box in my garage somewhere

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Hey man I was serious about that patch. I got my shipping notice this morning so I will have my p320 back on tuesday. If you want to pm me your address, I can drop it in an envelope for you assuming they give me a patch too. If I keep it, it will just stay in a box in my garage somewhere

I really appreciate that! Just shoot me a PM when you are ready to mail it!

Reactions: MTA
    Top Bottom