• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I am in the market for a new handle piece and have been looking at Walthers seeing as I keep shooting my P22 and love every magazine I put through it. As I was perusing through their product lines and through the counters at McBride's in Austin I have felt the PPS and the P99 in my hands and absolutely love them both. The P99 seems to have the exact same body as my P22 which is nice to have the similarities and the feel.

The only hiccup that I have with the PPS is that double trigger safety. I love having a quick flip safety instead where it actually offers some comfort instead of just squeeze and go.

Firing-wise I was wondering how people's experiences were at the range with these two and which caliber you owned it in. Thanks
    Guns International

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The PPS surprised me. It has very very little felt recoil compared to it's size. Most 9mm's of similar size have quite a bit of recoil, however the one I shot felt as if it was no more recoil than a G19 or maybe even a tad less. Both are great guns, so I would say go with what you like best and what feels more comfortable. If the intention is for a carry gun, the PPS would definitely be easier to carry, though the P99 will have double the capacity. The P22 is practically a "micro machine" P99 as it's the same basic design just quite a bit smaller. Since you like the P22, I'd suggest maybe considering the P99 over the PPS as it's the same basic gun so you'd already be used to it pretty much.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Now it took like 500 rounds to get the p22 broken in before it stopped jamming and I've heard a couple of complaints about jams from P99 owners. Is there any truth to this?

And anybody had any problems with the PPS jamming up?

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    No problems with my 9mm PPS, but I haven't run too many rounds through it.

P99 in .40S&W has ferocious recoil to the point that it causes problems with magazine release being triggered. A friend had one that he sold off because it was simply not easy to manage when shooting it one-handed. Never jammed on him though. I'd like to try one in 9mm because it has amazing ergonomics.

I shudder at the thought of the lighter and thinner PPS (with fewer provisions for maintaining grip) chambered in .40 S&W.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    No problems with my 9mm PPS, but I haven't run too many rounds through it.

P99 in .40S&W has ferocious recoil to the point that it causes problems with magazine release being triggered. A friend had one that he sold off because it was simply not easy to manage when shooting it one-handed. Never jammed on him though. I'd like to try one in 9mm because it has amazing ergonomics.

I shudder at the thought of the lighter and thinner PPS (with fewer provisions for maintaining grip) chambered in .40 S&W.

That's a good point because I was specifically looking at the PPS in a .40. I might lean a little closer to a 9 in one of the two. I liked the comment made earlier about the PPS being possibly an all year carry gun and it feels perfect for that. Also looks like it would be easily stored under a desk or in a door panel if or when I choose to start carrying something diffferent. I do like the ergonomics on my P22 though so thats a plus for the P99.

rhenriksen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I bought the 9mm PPS about a month ago, and am very happy with it. I have a Glock 23 (.40), and I think the two are comparable in recoil. I haven't shot a PPS in .40, but like the ability to double-tap with the 9 and the extra round of map capacity.

I'm in Houston, so probably not practical but you'd be welcome to try mine out at my local range.

That's a good point because I was specifically looking at the PPS in a .40. I might lean a little closer to a 9 in one of the two. I liked the comment made earlier about the PPS being possibly an all year carry gun and it feels perfect for that. Also looks like it would be easily stored under a desk or in a door panel if or when I choose to start carrying something diffferent. I do like the ergonomics on my P22 though so thats a plus for the P99.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have the PPS in 9 & 40. Excellent weapon and very reliable in either caliber. Trigger feels like Glock... short and crisp. With a holster, it's as safe as any other pistol. Since you've been shooting the P22 you should have no trouble transitioning over to the mag release on the PPS, and that's been the only negative other shooters have been able to make about the PPS. I prefer the mag release because it has never dropped the mag accidentally while carrying in my pocket. The only downside about the PPS is that new models are only shipping with 1 mag, and extra mags are hard to locate and run about $50 right now when you can find them. Other than that I really like the PPS for IWB carrry.

The only other pistol in this size/weight/quality class that would be comparable would be the Kahr PM9... also very nice. I carry the Kahr a little more because it fits in the pocket better, but if IWB/OWB is your thing then the PPS might get the nod.

Top Bottom