• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So after many years of service, I think I will soon retire or sell my 03 Dakota pu. I'm in the market for an F-150. Not interested in anything else right now. I'm not opposed to the Ecoboost motors and I'm even considering a 3.5 non turbo.

I have no specific hauling/towing needs and would prefer something with at least 18mpg average. I've looked at older gen trucks but the V8s just drink gas like crazy. I'm also gravitating toward the 2017 and up models with the lower bed height.

Anyhow, budget is around 20k. I'm not opposed to spending more but it's really got to be worth my while. If you own an F150, please share your thoughts.
    Capitol Armory ad

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    I’ve am on my 3rd F-150 I’m 2 years!!! Before we start a brand war, it was because I kept upgrading. Partly because I wanted to and partly because the 2 previous f-150 were S*** boxes. The v6 is fine but it’s weak all around. I would avoid the triton v8 at all costs because that was a money pit and frankly weak too. I love the 2011-2014. Ideally, you probably want the coyote V8 over the eco boost. That has more to do with reliability and working out the kinks more than power. I have a 2015 f150 V8 now and I average 16 mpg all around. The 2.6L eco boost (single turbo) is sufficient but its noticeably sluggish. Trade off I guess. Have you looked at the eco diesel from RAM?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My '14 (last of the steel bodies) F150 4x4 w/ 5.0 v8 would get 17mpg using cruise at 78mph on the interstate.

In town was usually 14mpg.

Without the 4x4 option it would probably get 18 but not around town.

My uncle has the 2.7l Ecoboost and loves the power it has. No clue what mileage he gets and most of his driving is really short trips anyways.

If I was concerned about pure mileage a '15+ 3.5l or 2.7l Ecoboost 2wd would be where I was looking.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I have a '08 XLT. If you're just needing a light-duty truck or daily driver, I highly recommend the 4.6L V8 over the V6. Mine has been bulletproof.

I've heard of too many issues with the EcoBoost engines to recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have a '08 XLT. If you're just needing a light-duty truck or daily driver, I highly recommend the 4.6L V8 over the V6. Mine has been bulletproof.

I've heard of too many issues with the EcoBoost engines to recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    5.4 much better than 4.6.
    208k on 08 5.4 f150 recently sold.
    Now have 17 5.0 4dt stx avg 17 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Some of the 04-10 were solid V8. I had the 04 in hunter green and loved it. The engine was a hot mess but that was a part of the charm. B98AF5B6-8D76-468E-8C5E-76373645CFB5.jpeg

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    If you're not going to tow get the 2.7eco boost. Plenty of power and 21 mph mixed driving. Ours will flat out hurt your neck if you mash the accelerator.

That said...

I prefer the 3.5 eco boost. Lots of towing and power. I've towed 10000 lbs and couldnt tell except for the gas gage, lol. I rarely tow but like the option and love the torque and power.

Mpg was 17.5 mixed for all of our 3.5 eco boost f150s.

Always get full maintenance history if you can with a used anything but you probably know that.

Both EcoBoost motor generate all their torque down low where needed.

Ive owned 8 F150s over the last decade as we always had 2 and traded them in as soon as they break even or the warranty expired. I love them.

Avoid non turbo v6s. Even if rated 300hp they are still dogs with the torque curves inappropriate for a truck.

You can lease a brand new one for about what you will pay for the used one.

Our next truck will probably be a lease. Shit is just too expensive nowadays.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I drive a 17 King Ranch FX4 with the 5.0 and get 17.5+ unloaded and 12mpg with an 8K lb trailer. Before that I had a ‘10 Sport 2WD with the 4.6 that reliably got 14mpg. My son had a ‘12 XLT Texas Edition 2WD with the small motor and was a 12-14mpg guy.

The first gen ecoboosts had some problems with carbon fouling and random water leaks into the intake manifold and that could be pretty ugly long term. Move the the gen2 ecoboost and it supposedly has been resolved.

I specifically searched for the NA 5.0 because of that history and gave up a couple hundred pound of towing capacity, but the reality is payload rating limits what you can tow, not the gvwr or max towing.

If you ever plan to get in the bed, make sure to get the tailgate step. Best innovation ever, in my opinion. Ford also sells retractable bed steps that mount just behind the cab. Again, awesome thought there.

Personally, if I was buying an ecoboost, the only option I would look at is the 3.5 with the ten speed transmission. Pretty much every other motor is mated to the six speed which is built for the demands of the NA 5.0 which is a lower rev’ing motor the 2.7EB. If mpg is king, then spend some time understanding the powertrain combo that gets the best mpg. Pretty sure it’s the 2.7EB/six speed auto/3.15 rear axle. The axle codes are on the door sticker, so a cheat sheet is helpful there.

I think the 3.5/10-speed/3.55 limited slip is a better combo all around if you have to have the EB motor, but we’re only really splitting an mpg range of 17.5-22 across the board unless all you do is short in-town driving with a lot of stop/go. Mine have all been mpg happiest at 65mph. The current ride will get 21mpg or higher unloaded and on flat terrain going non-stop to Florida with the 36gal tank.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    My last under 70 mi hiway trip
    7662866bafffaa9bf1b5db5d1b319b5b.jpg

Yup 19 mpg at 79-80 mph.
    The 5.O Coyote is far superior in performance to the 4.6 5.4.
    I owned an 03 Lightning and the 5.0 NA pulls as hard as the sc’d 5.4.
    Of course gearing etc all different

BTW My 5.0 has the tow package and 3.55 gears w/6spd auto.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    I am not getting those numbers in my 5.0...not a lot of highway+leveled out+A/T Tires will do that. I am not even towing anything.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I am not getting those numbers in my 5.0...not a lot of highway+leveled out+A/T Tires will do that. I am not even towing anything.

My to work and back is 7.5 miles one way all surface streets. Avg 16 or so
    I have oem tires and only mod is MBRP side exit cat back.
    I am not an easy on the throttle guy either.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Great info here gentlemen. I do fix cars professionally (20+ years now) so the older gen trucks have some appeal. The 2.7 Ecoboost is high on my list but the 5.0 sounds promising. The thought of the NA v6 is disappointing for such a large bodies truck but I have driven plenty of Ecoboost 2.7s and 3.5s and they have good power.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    '11 5.4 4x4 here. I believe the 2010 and older 5.4 had too many issues with that Generation (Spark Plugs poorly designed) etc.. They fixed most of the issues in the '11 and up. Though the 5.4 is prone to oil starvation on the #3 Roller and can grenade the motor if not caught in time. Mostly running 5w-30 and good oil changes keeping the oil full and clean seems to mitigate it. I have about 150,000 on mine all original and very few problems. Just change the oil.

*added*

Also, the V6 Turbo is a lot of fun to drive. I would not hesitate to buy one. Plenty of power and Torque with good MPG, which the 5.4 is poor at with a 6-speed transmission. Mine is as said above, 17 mpg at 75 at best.

Also, the Bilstein Ride height Adjustable shocks are amazing on these Trucks!

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Have a 2012 2WD. Gets about 16.5 MPG all the time, it's the 5.0. Not sure I would get another one. Had to replace the coolant tank and the water pump at less than 80k miles. That being said it does have about 130k miles on it currently and that's the only repairs that have been done.

It also has a minor oil leak, have not chased it down yet but is dripping around the rear main.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I'm running stock size GY Wranglers + front leveling kit with the L6 3.73 e-locker. I don't use sport mode which can definitely impact the mpg, but makes it a blast to drive.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I dont like the new 10 speed. Just personal preference but it shifts too much and not as responsive as I'd like. Gooberment bullshit I guess.

The new 10 speed is found across ford and chevy trucks as they develop it together.

Supposedly.

Top Bottom