• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When gas was $4 when I lived in Oregon, Diesel was close to $5 / gallon. It was not *that* long ago, Diesel was the cheapest option for fuel, then it seems everyone and their brother "discovered" diesels got better fuel economy and were cheaper to run and then BAM, diesel became the most expensive almost overnight. I know $5 / gallon fuel hurt our business. Think of all the medium and heavy duty trucks rolling around on 55-200 gallons. That shit hurts when you fill it at $4 or 5 / per. Even when it dropped down into the sub-$4 range it wasn't rosy.

I understand that pre-Biden, when oil was high, it meant a lot of Americans were making good money in oilfield jobs. Doesn't mean it didn't hurt a lot of others who were trying to get by though. Now in Biden's America - high oil & gas prices just mean we're getting fucked even harder, because he killed oilfield jobs while making his pals in the middle east rich again. If we're paying $2+ a gallon here, there are lots of places already paying $3 or close to it. Where I came from in Oregon, we typically ran ninety cents or a dollar per gallon higher than we're paying in Texas. They hate oil & gas up there, and the fuel tax is quite a bit higher there to boot, which is *supposed* to pay for roads, but the roads are equally shitty there as they are here.

I'd love to see American oilfield jobs come back strong, while remaining energy independent, and *not* getting hosed at the pump - I'm thinking its one of those "you can have two, but not three" scenarios. I wouldn't complain too much about higher prices if it meant American jobs were secure, but I think that ship is taking an extended tour at this point.

Hear what you are saying. But today I cannot be overly concerned about the left coast.
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Cheapest gas I ever bought was .............$0.16 per gallon in 1966!

Edit to add: the attendant put the gas in, cleaned the windows, checked the tire air pressure, and oil level, etc. ..................... in 1966!
    I remember that. Gas got down to 16 cents during a gas war in town.

They even vacuumed the floor boards.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Hear what you are saying. But today I cannot be overly concerned about the left coast.

I know - but think about it - if we hit $4 gas here, diesel is still probably going to push $5 per gallon, and the same economic effects will be felt. Unfortunately the shittier aspects of the left coast tend to migrate east (just as the shittier aspects of the east coast migrate west) - its a cautionary tale.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think $4.00 will be cheap in a year. Depending on where you live i think $6 to $10. Why? Well the current administration has already said they want to increase gas taxes. Their theory is they can reduce demand by raising the price. The think this about guns and ammo too. But this is just the first step in a bigger problem. When gas prices rise too high it has a ripple effect in the economy. You do know how all goods get to the store? Add this to the government spending trillions of dollars they do not have devaluing the $, and you have a recipe for double digit inflation. Any one remember the Jimmy Carter years?

Also factor in less oil production and probably none from fracking.

Hard to refine gasoline when you don't have the oil to refine.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    During the 1970s gas “shortages” I had to be in Houston frequently on business. I would rent a car; when it was out of gas I would turn it in and get another that was full of gas. While there, a refinery caught fire and was on the news day in and out! The fear was it would spread to the tank farms that were full of gas. The city FD (helping fight the fire) pushed the refinery to call in the tankers standing offshore and move the finished product into those and empty the endangered tanks….Well, they couldn’t because those ships were already FULL of refined gas being held to create the shortages we were experiencing. Local news then flew out to film all those tankers riding deck level in the water ALL full!!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    They ain't plugging the wells.
    The gas plants and pipelines from the Permian Basin are still being completed.
    Yes, new exploration and fraking will suffer, but the number of completed wells that still aren't on line is staggering.
    Another thing. The government rate for mileage went down just a few weeks back. I've been billing mileage a long time. I've questioned the raise or lower of rates many times in January. By June, I've seen the "wisdom of the seers". I'll go on record here.

Outside of a natural disaster or sabotage, we won't see a major increase in fuel prices in 2021.
    BTW. NG and LPG should see a marked decrease in price once a few more pipelines are commissioned.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    During the 1970s gas “shortages” I had to be in Houston frequently on business. I would rent a car; when it was out of gas I would turn it in and get another that was full of gas. While there, a refinery caught fire and was on the news day in and out! The fear was it would spread to the tank farms that were full of gas. The city FD (helping fight the fire) pushed the refinery to call in the tankers standing offshore and move the finished product into those and empty the endangered tanks….Well, they couldn’t because those ships were already FULL of refined gas being held to create the shortages we were experiencing. Local news then flew out to film all those tankers riding deck level in the water ALL full!!

Truth there. I knew people who were responsible for gauging the huge storage tanks in the south/east Houston area. The tanks were largely full. Supply was withheld at that time.

Top Bottom