• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No doubt that reflecting our sun's radiant heat back into space cools out planet a bit.
    Sort of like when you climb a ladder the earth's rotation slows a bit.
    How much cooler or slower the earth is can be calculated but is probably inconsequential.

It's getting foolish to doubt or argue that human activity is causing climate change.
    It is.
    The argument is whether or not it matters or whether or not we can or should try to undo it.

BTW I have a favorite symbolic gesture for CA!

Everybody knows that the Earth doesn't rotate.
    How else can you explain a helicopter taking off, and hovering in place for a minute, then dropping straight back to the same place it took off from...
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Probably mostly a symbolic gesture.
    Embellishing reflectivity of city surfaces has been considered as a tiny incremental lessening of climate change for a good while now.

No doubt that reflecting our sun's radiant heat back into space cools out planet a bit.
    How much cooler or slower the earth is can be calculated but is probably inconsequential.

It's getting foolish to doubt or argue that human activity is causing climate change.
    It is.
    The argument is whether or not it matters or whether or not we can or should try to undo it.

BTW I have a favorite symbolic gesture for CA!

That takes the cake.
    Where is that astonished cat meme?

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll

Depends upon what you mean by "the earth's rotation slows a bit". If you are talking about *your* speed with respect to the surface of the earth at the base of the ladder, then you are going *very* slightly faster than the base of the ladder -- assuming your are not climbing a ladder on the rotational axis of the planet.

Just for curiosity's sake, let's calculate it... The radius of the earth is 3,963 miles at the equator.
    https://www.space.com/17638-how-big-is-earth.html

3963 miles = 20,924,640 ft
    24 hours in a day = 1440 minutes = 86400 second
    Thus the velocity of a point at sea level at the equator would be 20,924,640 / 86,400 = 242.18333... ft/sec

Now let's assume that you climb a 10 ft ladder.
    You would be 20,924,650 ft from the center of the planet.
    Thus the velocity of a point 10 ft above sea level at the equator would be 242.18344907407408 ft/sec

Rather small difference, but definitely calculable... :)

On the other hand, when you say "the earth's rotation slows a bit", you are talking about the change due to moving the mass further away from the center of the mass of the combined system (like when an ice skater is spinning and controls the speed of the spin by way of moving parts of their body closer or further away from the axis of the spin), well, I don't remember the equations for that one off the top of my head, so as they say, "that will be left as a exercise for the reader"... :)

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    The simple solution for the theory of global warming is to just install some really big venetian blinds in orbit. Cut down the solar input and you'll cut down on the total heat. Simple idea, but a bit more difficult to implement in practice. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The simple solution for the theory of global warming is to just install some really big venetian blinds in orbit. Cut down the solar input and you'll cut down on the total heat. Simple idea, but a bit more difficult to implement in practice. :)
    There are a bunch of schemes to do almost exactly that.

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    In no time all the homeless will turn their pretty white streets brown. I here they have maps showing tourists where not to go because all the sh*t on the streets left by homeless.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    In no time all the homeless will turn their pretty white streets brown. I here they have maps showing tourists where not to go because all the sh*t on the streets left by homeless.

Don't know about excrement in the streets, but when I used to work in downtown Houston, you quickly learned (by smell) which areas to avoid due to the high ammonia smell from all the bums pissing on the sides of certain buildings.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

That map is in San Fran.

San Diego would be perfect for this, though.

They actually wash the streets down with bleach to contain the spread of hepatitis, so their streets would be whiter than white and as fresh as a summer morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    On the other hand, when you say "the earth's rotation slows a bit", you are talking about the change due to moving the mass further away from the center of the mass of the combined system (like when an ice skater is spinning and controls the speed of the spin by way of moving parts of their body closer or further away from the axis of the spin)..... :)

Yup.
    That's what I was contemplating.

I seem to recall it's that the earth slows as you climb away from the center of mass to keep the moment of inertia constant.

It can be calculated.
    Somewhere I read that if Lake Mead were drained into the Gulf of California the acceleration of ration and the shortening of the day would be measurable.

Here:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-three-gorges-dam-really-will-slow-the-earths-rotation-2010-6

Top Bottom