• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    However, I have also used crayons, rub them over the stampings till they fill in. Use an alcohol swab to remove any that gets anywhere you do not want it. I have used this method to make stampings and serial numbers easier to read for years. Have a couple rifles that were done about 10 years back that still look good.

Same here. I use crayons. The paint kinda makes a mess. Ive painted in roll marks. Then cleaned up the area with nail polish remover. Crayons are just way easier to use. Plus it seems the colors are brighter(reds and white). Parkerizing really sucks paint up and really makes it hard to clean up to where the letters are sharp.
    Military Camp

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Here is a shot of the tools I use for paint fill:

Colorfill-1.jpg

The Sharpie paint markers and Testors thinner I get at Hobby Lobby. Q-Tips and technique brushes from Wal-Mart.

Throw in a cotton ball here and there when necessary and whammo: paint filled roll marks that will not fade or melt.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Here's what I did with ladygun's AR today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350267454.170835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I used some of the ole lady's nail polish and remover. But it left kind of a weird weird finish on it. Gonna try some different remover or some brake cleaner.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I used non-acetone. It did leave a cloudy look but I oiled it and it's gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    OThis is crayon. It even matches the color of the free float. I would have had to mix and mix model paint or whatever paint, to get it anywhere the same color.

Clean the roll mark with mineral spirits. I used an Army tooth brush. Warm the area up. Heat up the crayon and drip it on the roll mark( I use a butane torch). Let cool(very important, cuz the warm crayon will pull the wax out of the roll mark if you try to scrape the excess off). Scrape the excess off with a plastic or wood scraper of some kind, flush with surface. Clean up area with a tiny bit of mineral spirits on a rag, rubbing lightly. Oil the area to match the rest of the receiver.

If you need to remove it. Just scrub it with an Army toothbrush and mineral spirits.It doesn't just melt right off. It takes some scrubbing. I oiled it with triflow. As you can see, oil didn't wash it off or melt it.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Back in the '80s I read about folks doing this with Liquid Paper. My dad also read it. Within a week, every firearm he owned had a spot of liquid paper on the front sight to increase visibility, but he never bothered to highlight the markings on the guns themselves.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Back in the '80s I read about folks doing this with Liquid Paper. My dad also read it. Within a week, every firearm he owned had a spot of liquid paper on the front sight to increase visibility, but he never bothered to highlight the markings on the guns themselves.

Model paint works very well and is quite tough.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the info-I'm about to go try using some of my son's crayons and alcohol on cleaning patches to wipe away excess. If it works, I'll throw up a pic. If not, I'll clean it all off and then try again with the paint method.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's how it came out with crayon. The right side has a little reflection right in front of the white lettering from leftover wax. I'll get it cleaned up later. I may just paint it down the road so I can sharpen things up a little. I tried doing the logo but they messed up on the engraving so I couldn't get the color to hold evenly.

Sent from my toolbox

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I used acrylic paint pens and Goof Off to wipe off the excess. Very quick drying and the goof off took the excess right off. Don't try alcohol or acetone, won't work.

truckeic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Hey guys question on this.. I am looking at etching some raw lowers. .. would like to color in the etchings with different color than I paint the gun with... any ideas on how

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom