Lynx Defense

Paleo Life Style or Cave Man - life style nutrition plan, not a diet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Yah, I am always afraid on getting the oil to the flash point and killing it. Good point.

Coconut oil is great, it can be a high heat oil. I think the animal fats can as well....
    Texas SOT

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Congrats on gaining 12lbs of lean mass in 2 months, that's incredible!!! I can't imagine what your calorie intake and workload look like. What is your body weight and how are you measuring body fat?

Thanks,
    -Randy

Apologize for not a very quick response...lol. I measure body fact with bioelectrical impedance, and track my body fat reductions during training with a high quality caliper.

My ideal body weight is 186 lbs. Now, I have an advantage. I am a certified personal trainer through ACSM, and I have been in a vigorous exercise routine for years starting when I was in my mid 40s and a state trooper. If you have any questions, let me know.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I eat a lot of beans, and limit my carbs to boiled potatoes (my dad grows them) and brown rice, never bread.
    How do you cope with no legumes? What do you substitute for fiber?
    What is best to eat to get carbs? I work out 4 times per week and stay active with frisbee golf and walking the beach so I feel like I need more carbs than I get from veggies.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've begun the journey.
    Back in early February I went to see my doctor. I'm 54 and had hit 300+ lbs. She jumped my butt about it.
    Had all the associated problems: sore joints, back aches, apnea, tired all the time,etc.
    So I went on my sort-of own invention Paleo. I knew I had to do something.
    Cut way back on how much I ate of course.
    Cut out completely all forms of white carbs. No bread, pasta, noodles, crackers, croutons, rice, and most importantly potatoes.
    "Cheap white carbs" are De Debil!
    And of course all junk: ice cream, soda(especially diet), candy, cakes, pie, fast food, fried foods, cookies etc.
    Now I'm eating a lot of fruit and veggies, limited amounts of meat(mostly chicken and fish), small portions of cheese, sashimi.
    Started walking. Me and the dog both needed to.

This morning I weighed @ 266.
    In six weeks I've lost 35 lbs.
    Feel mucho better already.
    And the best part by kicking out the white carbs makes me not feel so dadbalasted hungry all day as previous diets have.
    Also have noticed I'm not nearly as thirsty as I was before.
    It works.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I really need to get started on a Paleo and cut calories, as well as a work out routine. Just so hard to get started! Is there a good source, or book, detailing Paleo type foods, and or a meal plan for it?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've begun the journey.
    Back in early February I went to see my doctor. I'm 54 and had hit 300+ lbs. She jumped my butt about it.
    Had all the associated problems: sore joints, back aches, apnea, tired all the time,etc.
    So I went on my sort-of own invention Paleo. I knew I had to do something.
    Cut way back on how much I ate of course.
    Cut out completely all forms of white carbs. No bread, pasta, noodles, crackers, croutons, rice, and most importantly potatoes.
    "Cheap white carbs" are De Debil!
    And of course all junk: ice cream, soda(especially diet), candy, cakes, pie, fast food, fried foods, cookies etc.
    Now I'm eating a lot of fruit and veggies, limited amounts of meat(mostly chicken and fish), small portions of cheese, sashimi.
    Started walking. Me and the dog both needed to.

This morning I weighed @ 266.
    In six weeks I've lost 35 lbs.
    Feel mucho better already.
    And the best part by kicking out the white carbs makes me not feel so dadbalasted hungry all day as previous diets have.
    Also have noticed I'm not nearly as thirsty as I was before.
    It works.
    Congrats on the changes. Keep it up.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I really need to get started on a Paleo and cut calories, as well as a work out routine. Just so hard to get started! Is there a good source, or book, detailing Paleo type foods, and or a meal plan for it?

My wife is into Paleo as well, in fact she got me started. She consorts with a website I believe for receipes. I will get it from her and let you know.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012

Also, you don't need to cut calories eating paleo. You see, the body fat we accumululate is due to eating processed foods, bad fat, and bad carbs. By eating Paleo you can eat as much as you want....just the good stuff.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I eat a lot of beans, and limit my carbs to boiled potatoes (my dad grows them) and brown rice, never bread.
    What is best to eat to get carbs? I work out 4 times per week and stay active with frisbee golf and walking the beach so I feel like I need more carbs than I get from veggies.
    Substitute for fiber? Almond milk and almonds predominantly.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At some point in the near future I'll make a thread on this subject, as I've learned a hell of a lot more than I thought I knew, on nutrition, in the past 6 months. I'm now down 28lbs, with absolutely no exercise, entirely from diet. My goal is significant cutting (60lbs), and then I'll change things up to lean bulking with completely different calorie/macros as well as the addition of a few other types of food. Unfortunately I had a big setback yesterday, and found out I have a bone cyst in one of my hands that I am probably going to need surgery on, so switching to bulking mode and trying to modify lifts to be safe is going to be interesting.

Although there are many benefits to Paleo, personally, I feel the general subject of Paleo has pretty significantly turned on to yet another bandwagon, just like any other fitness/nutrition/health fad. Again, while I think there can be many health benefits for a lot of people, I also think that the one-size-fits-all mindless approach that some take with Paleo (I've been guilty of this myself in the past) is far from optimal for certain purposes. I'm coming to realize this is very true if, for example, that goal is building serious muscle. Try getting enough carbs, while attempting a high level of strength training, while avoiding all starchy carbs, legumes, grains, etc, and you simply are not going to accomplish it. At least probably not without a massive amount of effort in your diet. Feel free to take my words with a grain of salt, as I'm not yet there myself, however don't believe me, just do the math. It literally takes pounds of spinach, celery, cucumbers, and other "Paleo" carbs to add up to the sort of carb goals people shoot for when bulking (150-250g+ for a lot of people). Guess how many cups of spinach it takes to make 200g of carbs? About 185 CUPS! ;)

The hardcore strict philosophy that some approach Paleo with is also completely and utterly ridiculous. IE - "You must eat as close to how a caveman ate." In reality, a caveman would have eaten whatever the hell he could get his hands on, whenever, and as much as possible, followed by sedentary periods of resting and chilling out until it was time to go out and fill his belly again. It's an analogy that really has no basis in science or any peer reviewed studies I've ever seen. I think everything should be much more accurately described as eating "clean", certain foods having detrimental health effects (at least for some people), and others having some potential benefits.

I think people need to take it a step further and determine what their goal is (cutting vs lean bulking), determine their necessary calorie deficit or excess, and then determine their optimal macros for those goals. I've found for myself, and I think it's universally true that if you have the wrong macros for your intended goals, things are going to be pretty far from optimal. Look at vegans that don't put significant effort into supplementing. They have severely biased macros towards carbs, low protein, low B12, and a lot of other issues. For strict Paleo, it's a bias against carbs, but also possibly still lacking a bit in protein with how some do Paleo. Also, all of this of course is completely excluding the disease factor. If someone has Crohn's or some other serious condition with serious food allergies, then that needs to be taken into account.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012

Carbs? Organic fruit and vegetables - no canned stuff. Quit the beans. Good that "never" bread, but limit your brown rice to once a week.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Physical fitness attributes are muscular strength, muscular endurance, Cardio-respiratory fitness (CRF), and flexibility. If your goal is to "cut" - then paleo is ideal in reducing body fat and adding lean muscle. Of course, CRF is excellent for overall health, and flexibility, which in my opinion asthtanga yoga, is supreme - are both good whether goal is muscular strength or muscular endurance.

Solid nutrition programs of all types should emphasize "bad" fat reduction in all cases. Of course, if one is suffering from chronic disease or CVD factors, then nutrition programs, as well as effective exercise prescriptions should be tailored to reduce health risks.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Also, you don't need to cut calories eating paleo. You see, the body fat we accumululate is due to eating processed foods, bad fat, and bad carbs. By eating Paleo you can eat as much as you want....just the good stuff.

There is a lot that is scientifically unproven, inaccurate, incomplete, and flat out wrong with some of these statements. While I personally feel that there are some theoretical health benefits to certain foods, or to more natural/naturally raised and less processed foods, I have yet to see one single peer reviewed study that has actually demonstrated that "processed foods" as a whole are "bad" for you. That's like saying all fat or all carbs are bad. It's far too general, and I personally believe there is plenty of stuff that is processed, that is still honestly just fine, IF it works with your macros, and IF it fits your calorie goals.

Ultimately, there is a lot of truth in calories in = calories out. There is much more to it than that, but ultimately the science still holds true in general. If your BMR is 2500 calories, and you are consistently eating 3500 calories of 100% natural, gluten free, naturally raised, grain free, Paleo foods...that still equals an excess of 1,000 calories per day, 30,000 cal per month, and about 8.5lbs of weight gain per month excluding calorie burn from fitness activities. Sometimes it works out a bit different. In some cases, I think a factor that is often not discussed is inflammation. If someone is particularly allergic to gluten, for example, maybe if some of those calories are foods with gluten, they might be getting inflamed and their body might be retaining more water weight, so that 8.5lbs might actually be a bit more in terms of the 8.5lbs of fat plus an unknown amount of added extracellular fluid (water weight).

A person cannot "eat as much as they want", simply because something is Paleo, and necessarily always continue to lose weight. Case and point, nuts. The way someone once said it really put nuts in perspective for me. They're more calorie dense than a piece of chocolate. People that are diehard Paleo eat handfuls of nuts all day long sometimes. It's easy to do because they're so small, and you don't really think about it. Here's an example:

1 Cup of Almonds:

-640 calories
    -56g fat
    -24g carbs
    -24g protein

640 calories for what?! For 130 calories, you could eat a cup of Fage 0% Greek yogurt and get those same 24g of protein, with only 9g of carbs. But dairy is not "Paleo", so it must be "unhealthy", right? Maybe if a person is dairy/lactose intolerant. If they're not? I still haven't seen a single peer reviewed study that has actually demonstrated anything like that.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Saltyag, maybe in another thread or something so it doesn't get too OT, I'd be curious to hear what you do as far as weights? From what I've gathered from several of your posts in other threads, it sounds like you do a lot of lifting (correct me if I'm wrong). Once I'm done cutting, I'm definitely moving towards strength training/powerlifting, and maybe dabbling in bodybuilding a bit to bring up whatever deficient areas are left.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    There is a lot that is scientifically unproven, inaccurate, incomplete, and flat out wrong with some of these statements. While I personally feel that there are some theoretical health benefits to certain foods, or to more natural/naturally raised and less processed foods, I have yet to see one single peer reviewed study that has actually demonstrated that "processed foods" as a whole are "bad" for you. That's like saying all fat or all carbs are bad. It's far too general, and I personally believe there is plenty of stuff that is processed, that is still honestly just fine, IF it works with your macros, and IF it fits your calorie goals.

Ultimately, there is a lot of truth in calories in = calories out. There is much more to it than that, but ultimately the science still holds true in general. If your BMR is 2500 calories, and you are consistently eating 3500 calories of 100% natural, gluten free, naturally raised, grain free, Paleo foods...that still equals an excess of 1,000 calories per day, 30,000 cal per month, and about 8.5lbs of weight gain per month excluding calorie burn from fitness activities. Sometimes it works out a bit different. In some cases, I think a factor that is often not discussed is inflammation. If someone is particularly allergic to gluten, for example, maybe if some of those calories are foods with gluten, they might be getting inflamed and their body might be retaining more water weight, so that 8.5lbs might actually be a bit more in terms of the 8.5lbs of fat plus an unknown amount of added extracellular fluid (water weight).

A person cannot "eat as much as they want", simply because something is Paleo, and necessarily always continue to lose weight. Case and point, nuts. The way someone once said it really put nuts in perspective for me. They're more calorie dense than a piece of chocolate. People that are diehard Paleo eat handfuls of nuts all day long sometimes. It's easy to do because they're so small, and you don't really think about it. Here's an example:

1 Cup of Almonds:

-640 calories
    -56g fat
    -24g carbs
    -24g protein

640 calories for what?! For 130 calories, you could eat a cup of Fage 0% Greek yogurt and get those same 24g of protein, with only 9g of carbs. But dairy is not "Paleo", so it must be "unhealthy", right? Maybe if a person is dairy/lactose intolerant. If they're not? I still haven't seen a single peer reviewed study that has actually demonstrated anything like that.

You can certainly disagree with me. Paleo - eating all you want of the right stuff - coupled with an ExRx is key to physical fitness. Paleo by itself w/o a moderate to vigorous ExRx is not optimally effective.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Saltyag, maybe in another thread or something so it doesn't get too OT, I'd be curious to hear what you do as far as weights? From what I've gathered from several of your posts in other threads, it sounds like you do a lot of lifting (correct me if I'm wrong). Once I'm done cutting, I'm definitely moving towards strength training/powerlifting, and maybe dabbling in bodybuilding a bit to bring up whatever deficient areas are left.

What credentials do you have, if any?

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Seriously?

Not trying to be a smartass, Sig seems to be knowledgeable although I take issue with his opinions. I am a certified personal trainer - American College of Sports Medicine. That's all. Lol

Last edited:

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I am a certified personal trainer - American College of Sports Medicine. That's all. Lol

If two people want to discuss lifestyle choices, why do you have to get involved and ask about one's credentials?

Sig wasn't talking at you. Leave it alone. So if I want to talk about weights, diet and/or supplements with someone, do I have to show YOU my fucking diploma first?

Top Bottom