DK Firearms

Paleo Life Style or Cave Man - life style nutrition plan, not a diet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    InternetCommando.gif

Damn, I have been discovered. :)
    Texas SOT

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I really need to get started on a Paleo and cut calories, as well as a work out routine. Just so hard to get started! Is there a good source, or book, detailing Paleo type foods, and or a meal plan for it?

The Paleo Mom » The Paleo Mom is a scientist turned stay-at-home mom who shares recipes, explains the science behind the paleo diet and its modifications, and blogs about the challenges of raising a paleo family.

There is another one my wife uses but I am not sure of the spelling. Something like elenaspantry.com. Don't hold me to it.

Explore paleomom in depth. It discusses what paleo is all about. The information on this site will counter any misinformation and uninformed opinion you make come across as it relates to paleo.

Of course I must add this disclaimer. Not all CPTs (Certified Personal Trainer) are advocates of paleo. In fact, I find the lack of a nutritional foundation to be the most lacking among most, not all, personal trainers, even from the college of sports medicine.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    As to how I come off, I am a certified warrior (USMC), retired LEO (CHP), and personal trainer (ACSM).
    Lol..certified was a play on words, but oh yes, I have me a "love me" wall and besides my Honorable Discharge, there are many others. Yes, I know I am awesome. BTW, 82-84 Beirut, 22nd MAU. :)

And their signature line reads:

:weights:
    MPA1988
    NRA Life Member
    LT, California Highway Patrol (Retired)
    Certified Pistol Instructor/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH
    Certified Personal Trainer (American College of Sports Medicine)

My question is why would someone with a "love me" wall include their NRA affiliation yet exclude their military service?

/rhetorical

Ultimately, this is no more than historical data to me.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    And their signature line reads:

:weights:
    MPA1988
    NRA Life Member
    LT, California Highway Patrol (Retired)
    Certified Pistol Instructor/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH
    Certified Personal Trainer (American College of Sports Medicine)

My question is why would someone with a "love me" wall include their NRA affiliation yet exclude their military service?

/rhetorical

Ultimately, this is no more than historical data to me.

Here you go. I updated my Sig line. I hope you like it.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    You're behind the curve, I've made my point. Thanks for playing into it.

You're welcome. If you want to play more let me know. I have commendations I received during my 25 years of service as a state trooper that I have not even mentioned yet, but I really didn't want to play this game but I can. :) Have a nice evening.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What credentials do you have, if any?

None. I say this, honestly, with no malice whatsoever. I am a very logical and straightforward person. I am pretty good at rooting out the truth, and I tend to say what I think, which may not always be what people want to hear, but I honestly mean well. Questioning a person's qualification or character is not a legitimate method of refuting a topic that is in debate. I would ask, what of the things I said is wrong or inaccurate? If anything, then what and how? If I really want to put some time in to this, I can flood this thread with study after study from PubMed, supporting the things I have said.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Winchster, I am drinking plenty. Thanks for the recommendation though. :-) For me, 128oz per day minimum, and sometimes I'm more like 150-160oz as some days I just feel like I'm more thirsty. My sodium intake also hovers around 3,000mg, some days as high as ~3,500mg. I've since learned that too little sodium intake can be detrimental as well, and can actually cause water retention even though that sounds counter intuitive.

As far as my experience, I've been on and off Paleo for 3 years. I've lost weight, gained weight, lost weight again, fallen off the wagon, gotten back on, and been on that rollercoaster enough to have a pretty good idea what works [for my specific body] by now. In hindsight, I've realized that, although in the past I have tracked my calories, and even tracked my macros to some degree, there was still a lot I didn't know, and I didn't realize how much of an impact different macro ratios can really have. In the past, I would find that there were periods where I actually lost a pretty significant amount of weight on "Paleo", and then things would plateau, then I'd lose some more, then plateau again, and then sometimes I would actually gain some back, which really stumped me. Checking back at some of those records, I realized that I would occasionally have some pretty big fluctuations in my macro ratios. Sometimes it would be mostly meat and fat, little carbs, sometimes it would be LOTS of carbs. Eat several pieces of fruit, like a few apples a day, and the carbs add up fast. A calorie is not simply a calorie, as there is truth in quality of food having different effects, and at the same time, good calories in excess, regardless of their high quality, still equals weight gain.

The sweet spot I found more recently for significant cutting has been getting my body into ketogenesis. Basically keeping carbs under 50g per day, and the farther under that the better. Under this level, the body will typically turn to either fat or protein (muscle) for energy. To minimize and possibly even prevent a majority of muscle loss during this, there are legitimate studies that have shown that, with significant protein intake, it can basically force your body into focusing on stored fat for energy, breaking the fat down, and turning it into ketone bodies to digest. Significant protein intake, at least for this specific usage, is generally recommended around 0.8g per pound of bodyweight (not LBM, but your actual weight right now) for the average person that may not have significant muscle development, and more like 1 to as much as 1.5g per pound of current overall bodyweight per day for someone that does have significant muscle mass.

For me, my macros work out to 180-200g protein per day, I tend to stick to anywhere from 10-40g carbs, and usually ~50-70g fat, usually coming out to ~1500 cal per day. So far, no discernible muscle loss for me, and after 2-3 months I've lost 28lbs sitting in front of a computer, without doing bullshit cardio (jogging, clearly I have a disdain for "traditional" cardio LOL) or honestly any other exercise. Call it stubbornness and defiance but, I am going to continue to sit in front of a computer and watch this weight keep falling off until I reach my weight loss goal and can shift to lean bulking, just so I can troll either myself for being totally wrong and failing at my goals (then we can all have a good laugh at my expense), or trolling everyone else that thinks they must run on a treadmill or do ridiculous stuff (Crossfit: Forging Elite Pseudoscience) to lose weight. Eat relatively clean foods, run a calorie deficit that works for your weight loss goals, watch your macros and try to stay within your goal macros as often as possible, and be consistent at it. BTW, while I've been losing this weight, I have been eating the occasional serving (and no more than one serving at a time) of ice cream, occasional fast food burger out, etc. It can be done, but in moderation, with self control, and being strict at keeping it within macros is the key.

Oh, and cardio, the thing I love to hate, because I hate irrationality. Here's some simple math. 1 pound of bodyweight is universally accepted as equal to 3,500 calories. Take a 250lb male that is trying to get to 200lbs. Jogging, for this guy's specs, at 30 minutes per day equals roughly 400 calories burned. 50 (extra lbs) x 3,500 cal = 175,000 calories that need to be burned. With no calorie deficit, this means 175,000 / 4 = 437.5 days of running 30 minutes per day. Cardio = About the most inefficient way to lose weight, nevermind the muscle loss along the way. Also, not to mention, for people significantly overweight, there is significant risk of back and lower body injury as a result of the pounding your body takes jogging with all of that extra weight. Not to mention people heel strike running on top of that, as opposed to the way human beings were built to run, using their legs and feet as actual shock absorbers.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Carbs? Organic fruit and vegetables - no canned stuff. Quit the beans. Good that "never" bread, but limit your brown rice to once a week.
    I eat a lot of beans for fiber. Are you suggesting fruit and veggies for 30g fiber/day?
    What do you use to keep carbs high enough? I'm not big on grains, I like potatoes and rice and oatmeal. No pasta or bread but I lose mass very easily.

just cardio I burn 200-220cal for warm up and 400-500cal after weights. I always start with a mile jog then power walk uphill then weights then alternate cardio (jog/uphill intervals, uphill 4mph walks, cycling, rowing)
    weights i do alternating (abs and push-ups, legs, back/abs and push-ups heavy leg day/ abs and push-ups, shoulders, back, arms/ push-ups, legs, shoulders, arms)

i lose mass quickly if I change anything too much, but I don't want any more stretch marks from gains. I started at 170 when I moved here and it took awhile for me to get to 192 last year, then my shoulder problems had me do less weight and reps and I went back to 174. I pushed myself through rehab, didn't have the shoulder surgeries and got to an all time high of 206. Went back to trying to cut fat and am now a leaner 189. Now my frame is filled out enough and I'm trying to thin my skin enough to have more definition. I don't want to get below 185. I don't do protein shakes. I take a multivitamin because my doctor told me 2 and Zyrtec and glucosamine and condroitin. I recently started cutting fat out of my diet while taking alli. I'm not losing weight but I can tell I'm losing fat.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Saltyag, maybe in another thread or something so it doesn't get too OT, I'd be curious to hear what you do as far as weights? From what I've gathered from several of your posts in other threads, it sounds like you do a lot of lifting (correct me if I'm wrong). Once I'm done cutting, I'm definitely moving towards strength training/powerlifting, and maybe dabbling in bodybuilding a bit to bring up whatever deficient areas are left.
    I do a lot of lifting (30-40mins/day) to keep mass. I think my body eats itself if I slack off.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    And I do stretches and yoga before I go home from the gym and before bed. I feel blood moving where it needs to go every time plus it pulls my back, shoulders hips and knees into alignment. I feel like I just got a massage every night when I finally lay down. As for fluids- I drink one 12-16oz cup of skim milk each day, maybe 1-1&1/2 gallons of water, possibly unsweetened tea, occasional beer and straight liquor. My piss is hardly ever medium yellow.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I just read through the serious posts in this thread this morning, and I want to comment on several points. However, my comments will be forthcoming later on this weekend when I have some time to sit down and put my thoughts together. Today I have to switch out 2 toilets in my house, and tie up some logistical and administrative issues before I teach my PPIH class tomorrow. I will provide some "free" advice for those willing to listen.

Keep your powder dry and your heart rate up - shooting and physical fitness go hand-in-hand.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Winchster, I am drinking plenty. Thanks for the recommendation though. :-) For me, 128oz per day minimum, and sometimes I'm more like 150-160oz as some days I just feel like I'm more thirsty.
    Cool, I just saw the 112 and was going to suggest 150+ That's all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Here are a few of my initial thoughts. Paleo to be effective needs to be adhered to long-term. Up and down with paleo nutrition discipline is less than optimal. Protein supplements are a necessity if lean muscle mass is your objective. As to cardio as a means to reduce body fat, jogging is not effective. HIIT is key to cardio. HIIT is high intensity interval training. Low to moderate cardio workout in regard to intensity (jogging) is simply not going to cut it in terms of reducing weight gain, and body fat in order to cut. HITT should be your cardio routine.

More to come.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979