Target Sports

Paleo Life Style or Cave Man - life style nutrition plan, not a diet.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Rid your body of toxins, by eating whole foods not treated with chemicals and hormones. Grass fed - beef and meats; raw, unpasturized dairy, organic folks...it's all about being organic. No grains folks. No breads of any kind.

Been on it for 2 months. I am a P90X and X2 fitness freak. Discipline is as essential with nutrition as it is to consistently execute a daily physical regimen and work out.

Discipline is the word!!!

Last edited:

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Congrats & best of luck sticking with it.

Any specific results/gains you're willing to share?

I've been a pretty healthy eater my whole life, so I haven't felt a need to make any drastic changes. Some small things I've done in recent years:
    - higher protein intake (beans/rice and occasional whey isolates)
    - fish oil
    - glucosamine/chondroitin
    - Gluten Free

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Google Paleo for Athletes......

....results are amazing and significantly enhanced with a strenous physical exercise program.

I am 58 years of age with 8% body fat. Over the last 2 months I have lost 1.5% of body fat but gained 12 lbs.

Lean muscle mass! Prior to Paleo I was stuck at 9.5% +.

Get protein from "wild-caught" fish and eat lean meats from animals grass-fed. Whey protein I also use to supplement my protein intake. Stay away from rice.

Last edited:

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    ...stay away from rice.
    I gotta have my rice krispie treats bro.:) That's some good body comp you got going. I'm a few years younger and hovering around 9%.

Diet, exercise, rest: tried true formula, all in proper amounts.

I will also vouch for protein supplement. Amazing how much more effective my workouts became, and the lack of soreness (recovery shake). Shot about 500 rounds today, trigger finger not sore at all (of course could be apex mod to my M&P).

Last edited:

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I gotta have my rice krispie treats bro.:) That's some good body comp you got going. I'm a few years younger and hovering around 9%.

Diet, exercise, rest: tried true formula, all in proper amounts.

I will also vouch for protein supplement. Amazing how much more effective my workouts became, and the lack of soreness (recovery shake). Shot about 500 rounds today, trigger finger not sore at all (of course could be apex mod to my M&P).

Good to hear no soreness in trigger finger...lol. BTW, good physical fitness improves shooting performance. 9% is not bad. Creatine mixed in with some whey is a good recovery drink.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm about to take the plunge back into Paleo again as well. Starting back up again tomorrow. I'm going back to the strict version again. Basically no glutens, grains, legumes, or dairy.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've cut out alcohol. I may drink 6 beers in a year. I don't smoke. I've cut out soda/energy drinks. I'm working on kicking sugary "tea" now (Arizona type).

Good on you OP for doing the damned thing. How much weight have you lost? (or how have you otherwise measured your gains?)

I've also got to increase my calories expended, too many excuses lately.

Glad to see folks encouraging each other on TGT.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I once weighed almost 600 pounds. I'm on track to break below 300 by the end of the month. (I may have already done it; I only weigh myself once a month.) It will be nice to be merely morbidly obese again. ;) While I know far more about nutrition and exercise than any normal person should (most of us fatties who've been trying to lose for years know these subjects in excruciating detail), I rarely advise anyone. I'm not a good enough example of what folks should be looking to achieve.

I can, however, authoritatively offer this advice: To those who think their situation is impossible, it's not. No matter how bad your joints hurt and your cravings push you to excess, it is always possible to come back. There's an old arab saying - "No matter how far you travel down the wrong road, you always turn around." That applies to every situation in life that seems like a journey to a bad end; you can turn around. Just take that first step today, another tomorrow, and string them along one day at a time. You might be surprised how fast you can return to the right road in life.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Hey all
    I have been doing Paleo for awhile, switching to GAPS now to heal 2 gut issues I was tested to have. Basically same as Paleo, no grains, legumes, etc. Basically free range meat, veg and just a little fruit, no nuts, seeds, dairy either...

However no tubers for a few months while I do the gut healing deal.

However throwing in the Leptin reset program while doing Paleo was life changing! Cannot believe the weight loss.....

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I am 58 years of age with 8% body fat. Over the last 2 months I have lost 1.5% of body fat but gained 12 lbs.

Congrats on gaining 12lbs of lean mass in 2 months, that's incredible!!! I can't imagine what your calorie intake and workload look like. What is your body weight and how are you measuring body fat?

Thanks,
    -Randy

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For anyone interested, got some results already. I started back on Paleo October 21st. It's now the 30th. 10 days and I've lost exactly 10lbs, entirely without exercise yet again. This is exactly how it worked the other times I've done it. I'm planning on going a full 30 days with the nutrition change only, and no exercise, just to see what happens from the nutrition change alone. I think a lot of it is water weight, and a small amount actual fat from the calorie deficit, but 10lbs is still 10lbs. One thing I've come to think is one of the most major factors in this, is reduction of inflammation in the body allowing the body to begin healing itself and functioning more optimally. I'm fairly gluten intolerant (not to a life-threatening degree), so my results may be different than someone that might get along with gluten a bit better.

I've also tried to implement some of the aspects of the "Leptin diet" as well. Namely only 3 meals per day, meals had at consistent times every day, have dinner at least 3 hours before bed, get at least ~8hrs of sleep (still working on that), etc.

Some people call it Paleo, Primal, or probably several other names. I like what some other people call it, Just Eat REAL Food. ;) I'm doing the strict version, so absolutely NO gluten, grains, dairy, legumes, soy, no artificial sweetener, no refined sugar, pretty much NO processed foods wherever possible. Just lean meat, vegetables, and good sources of fat like avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, and nuts (sparingly, high in Omega 6 which you don't want too much of, need a better balance with Omega 3). Here's some specifics on my daily nutrition specs I'm aiming for and staying very close to:

BMR: ~2,400

Target calories: 1,800-2,000 (this will increase in a few weeks when I start lifting)

Protein: They say .7 to 1.0g per pound of lean bodyweight for muscle building. I'm probably a bit high for weight loss without exercise and consistently around 130-180g. My LBM is ~180lbs, so I'll probably stick to ~180-200g or so once I'm lifting. At least that's what I'm thinking right now.

Fat: 50-100g, 50g is the absolute minimum. Dietary fat has very little to do with body fat. Your brain needs fat and cholsterol, so EAT SOME!

Carbs: 50-100g, no more than 100g for weight loss, maintenance or building will be 100-150g I think

Sodium: 3,000-3,500mg. As with other typical mainstream nutritional advice, the USDA or other mainstream recommendations seem to fall WELL short of what several studies I saw, recommend. 3-3.5k seemed to be the healthy range for the average person that is not significantly physically exerting themselves, and is literally DOUBLE the recommended level of some health organizations. As with things like fat and cholesterol, there have been many studies showing (some peer-reviewed), that if you are on extreme ends of the spectrum, too much or too little, it can lead to a higher risk of mental disorders and diseases. In some cases as much as ~7,000mg for someone like an endurance or high performance athlete might be normal or necessary.

Cholesterol: Haven't done nearly enough research on this one. I'm pretty consistently hovering around ~1,000mg per day. The days where I skipped eggs for breakfast and ended up with only ~250mg for the day, I did not feel nearly as good and my mind was not nearly as alert or focused.

Fiber: Haven't figured out my optimal range here. I seem to be hovering consistently between 20-30g, and that seems to be fine for now.

Sugar: under 50g, preferably under 20-30g. I want this as low as possible. For weight loss, they say limit fruit to no more than 1pc per day. I'm not eating any fruit at all for the time being.

I use this site for tracking my calories and nutrients, and it is extremely useful: https://www.loseit.com/

Not that I want to count calories forever, as I think that's no way to live, but I'm pretty much at the point where I find the structure and numbers are really helping me "re-train" myself on what real food is, and what my body needs. After another month or two, I'll have such a good handle on that, that I can stick to my calorie/nutrient restrictions by simply looking at the food and portion size instead of having to count it.

As far as a typical day's meals (today):

Breakfast:

-4 eggs
    -1/2 Avocado
    -4oz of Sirloin tip steak, thin cut
    -~1/4tsp Redmond Real Salt (organic)
    -28oz water

Lunch:

-4oz of Sirloin tip steak, thin cut
    -1/2 cup steamed carrots
    -1 cup steamed broccoli
    -1 cup steamed squash
    -28oz water
    -Another 28oz of water mid afternoon

Dinner:

-8oz burger patty (80%) wrapped in 2 complete lettuce leafs (sp?)
    -1/2 cup steamed carrots
    -1 cup steamed broccoli
    -1 cup steamed squash
    -28oz water
    -Separately, 1tbsp of coconut oil (going to start taking 3tbsp per day, 1 at each meal)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Keeping sugar intake at less than 20-30g a day is great especially with avoiding artifical sweeteners too. Thats probably the #1 thing i need to reduce, sugar and sugar substitutes.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Stevia is great for a sugar substitute. All natural, healthy, and not packed with "sugar", but adds a sweet flavor to anything. Sugar is probably one of the hardest, as it's literally in EVERYTHING nowadays.

The other thing I find is tough is spices. It's too easy to justify going with pre-made seasoning, spice mixes, etc. but they often have lots of unwanted artificial and unhealthy crap. Making your own is much better, but if it's not something you're used to, it's kind of hard to figure out where to start.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Your plan looks great!!!!

I am technically doing the same, although now I am on technically a GAPS plan to heal some gut issues I was tested for.

Funny, we are just finishing the 60 day Leptin plan reset - although we will still eat the same way we were on it. It has been really amazing thus far. My wife has been making sure we don't over carb it, at the same time making sure we don't go Low Carb. Actually, her doctor is Chris Kresser, the Paleo guy, she just started seeing him. She cannto wait until his new book comes out.

Have you seen the new studies on stevia, watch out for it? We used to use it daily. NEVER again, or if so on a rare occasion.

"When stevia arrived here years ago, this powerful herb was dubbed the best low calories sweetener. However it had never been tested, and just like us Americans we over do it. Keep in mind stevia is very powerful, most herbs can be.

In another study, male rats fed stevia extracts showed a decrease in fertility, reduced testosterone levels and testicular atrophy, potentially attributable binding of steviol glycosides with an androgen receptor.

When stevia arrived here years ago, this powerful herb was dubbed the best low calories sweetener. However it had never been tested, and just like us Americans we over do it. Keep in mind stevia is very powerful, most herbs can be.

In another study, male rats fed stevia extracts showed a decrease in fertility, reduced testosterone levels and testicular atrophy, potentially attributable binding of steviol glycosides with an androgen receptor."

Food for thought :)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dang it. ;) There goes another sweetener. ;) I've been generally trying to keep myself from adding any sweetener, but I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board with that one, so I at least have a bit healthier option just in case. I've also heard of another natural one from China, Lo Han Guo or GWO I believe. Guess I'll have to keep doing some research there.

Thought I'd give everybody a recipe for something I came up with. I made the mistake this last time around of buying the wrong coconut oil. Only later did I realize the label on it actually flaunts the rich taste. ;) I specifically try to find coconut oil that has as little taste and smell as possible, as I'm just not a huge fan of coconut oil's taste or smell, although the oil has some pretty impressive health and anti-bacterial benefits. I found that mixing 1/1 with peanut butter makes for a really velvetty, peanut butter that ends up being more of a liquid. Right now I'm using Laura Scudder's peanut butter, which is a brand you can find at even HEB and Walmart, and it is 100% all natural ingredients (usually just lists peanuts on the ingredients, it's a hidden gem in the grocery store). I'll usually do 1tbsp coconut oil and 1-2tbsp of peanut butter, which tastes excellent. It tastes like a slightly flavored peanut butter, but masks most of the coconut taste. I've also tried adding 1 small packet of Stevia (the size of a typical sugar packet) to the concoction, which ends up tasting like a sweet peanut butter. Anyways, I'm curious to see what else I can mix with this stuff so I can stomach eating 3-4tbsp of coconut oil per day. I have found some all natural/organic/gluten/grain free etc, flavored coconut oils from a few companies that I'll be checking out. I'll let everyone know what I find.

I'm down 12.4lbs now, and I decided to fast this morning instead of having a breakfast (never been much for breakfast). Another thing I find interesting is, for me at least, it seems like intermittent fasting can be a beneficial thing to do on a regular basis (at least for weight loss). The last few times I was at my healthiest in the past few years, I would typically fast for 16-24hrs once per week. The intent isn't really for the calorie deficit, but basically giving the digestive system a break and time to heal itself.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    AWESOME!!!

We use grass fed lard, tallow, duck fat - but mostly coconut oil from tropical traditions. Many of these Paleo leaders so to speak like just using a raw organic sugar, maybe maple syrup or honey. Of course in extreme moderation. Right now I can't do any of it :)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As far as the coconut oil goes, I've just been taking 3-4tbsp per day, just eating it raw out of the jar. I've cooked with it before, though the smell is just a bit too pungent for me.

Just curious Kevin, have you used MCT oil at all? Been thinking about trying some for use on things like salads. Also, any opinion on cooking with olive oil? So far we've mostly been using olive oil, but I'm starting to think about trying out lard or something else.

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Never tried the MCT oil We get the animal fats from US Wellness. Coconut oil from Tropical Traditions, we use the premium (buy it when on special) but there cheaper oil has less of a coconut taste. I don't taste the oil though, meaning it seems plain. Maybe I am just used to it. I know the one we use from them will tend to have more of a flavor to. I eat mine raw to, it's great for you because the liver does not have to process it. great for folks with gallbladder issues.

I have used palm oil no taste, was just harder to clean up after. :)

I never cook with olive oil, just dress my food with it. I LOVE olive oil....

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    As far as the coconut oil goes, I've just been taking 3-4tbsp per day, just eating it raw out of the jar. I've cooked with it before, though the smell is just a bit too pungent for me.

Just curious Kevin, have you used MCT oil at all? Been thinking about trying some for use on things like salads. Also, any opinion on cooking with olive oil? So far we've mostly been using olive oil, but I'm starting to think about trying out lard or something else.

Olive oil is great to cook with, however, it is not for items that take a while longer to cook or need higher heat. Olive oil reaches its temp limit pretty quick and becomes toxic.

Use grape seed oil or sesame oil for healthy higher heat dishes. Sesame oil is great when making home made stir fry. You get a restaurant taste but w/o all the other junk. Just toss in stir fry veggies with a table spoon or so of minced garlic and be generous with the sesame oil. Add other seasonings as desired and cook till veggies are tender.

I don't know what MCT oil is. I have also cooked with coconut oil and I like it but it adds the coconut flavor to the dish that a bland oil like olive does not.

Top Bottom