Palmetto State Armory PSA10 review (308)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bucky_Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2014
    I figured I would do a short write-up on a recent "build"

I've wanted a 308 ar for years and really never wanted to spend a ton of money to either build or buy one. I did a little shopping a reading around on the internet to see what I could piece together. After some research I was drawn to Palmetto State Armory. Recently they came out with there own line of 308 ar's. In a way its a proprietary beast. Small things like take down pins, and what not are their own design. From the best of my knowledge it is a LR/dpms pattern.

I wanted something I could ruck while hiking during hunting trips that did weight a ton. I chose to go with the 16" carbine style upper. I seems very well built. It came with a bcg and charge handle.

I bought it shipped for $415.00

PTAC 16" Carbine Length .308 WIN 1:10 Upper with BCG and Charging Handle

The lower receiver was also PSA. After doing some reading online of people having issues sorting out parts kits and it not necessarily being a "true" dpms lower in terms of parts I elected to buy a complete lower. For the most part it seems to be very well built. Controls are all in the same place as an AR15. Take down and Assembly is pretty much the same.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...8-complete-moe-plus-black-lower-receiver.html

The rifle itself came together over the course of 7 weeks. They shipped the lower first which took about 4 weeks after purchase. I ordered the upper about 2 weeks after the lower and it was about the same time frame for shipping.
    From my understanding this is common when dealing with them.

Shooting the rifle:
    The rifle was dry when I got it. No oil, no grease, nadda. I "soaked" the bcg in clp before taking it to the range and wiped down the rest of the rifle.

I have run about 100 rounds through the rifle and it functioned perfectly. No malfunctions.

My plan is to cut down the front sight and put a MI keymod front rail on and put a 1-6x24 scope on for hunting.I could see a muzzle brake in the near future. I happen to be pretty happy with the way the rifle came together and all in all it seems like a quality rifle.

IMG_20150131_095911.jpg

Next to my Varmint rig
    IMG_20150208_175645205.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I've been wondering about these...they have been the best deal for a 308 AR for a couple months now.....do they accept DPMS 308 magazines? I believe that that is the pattern that Magpul went after in their AR-10 mag offerings.

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Glad it's a good gun. I just picked up one of the PTAC 308 complete rifles. I'm really impressed with the quality of the gun given the price. I wasn't sure if I was getting a bargain or a hunk of crap when I ordered it. I just took it out this weekend and put about 100 rounds through it, 0 malfunctions except a slightly sore shoulder. I wanted to make sure it was functioning properly before tearing into it, about to order new barrel, furniture and optics. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    The gf and I want to build matching AR10s. It's looking like there's not as much diversity in parts as there are with AR15's, so we may just do like you did. I want to go with a 20" barrel, but it looks great otherwise! Try to fit a magpul mag in it. I want to know if they work alright in the PSA10.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Where is it with accuracy? At that price it should cut the already cheap DPMS off at the knees.

Bucky_Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2014
    The gf and I want to build matching AR10s. It's looking like there's not as much diversity in parts as there are with AR15's, so we may just do like you did. I want to go with a 20" barrel, but it looks great otherwise! Try to fit a magpul mag in it. I want to know if they work alright in the PSA10.

I bought (4) 25 rd magpul mags.. All function flawlessly.

Bucky_Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2014
    Where is it with accuracy? At that price it should cut the already cheap DPMS off at the knees.

With iron sights I'm in a 4-6" group at 100 yards.. I'm hoping when I get a good optic on it I can bring it in to sub Moa at 100. When I start changing the front end around, I plan on doing a free float barrel. I'm sure that will make a difference past 100 yards.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Nice review and great looking gun. I've been looking at their already assembled firearms as possibly my next AR. Not sure I have the patience or knowledge to do a build myself.

Top Bottom