• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just rolled in late last night from the panhandle from this years prairie dog hunt.
    We were north of Dalhart and south of Texline
    This year ,the reports out of Clayton New Mexico were not favorable So we decided not to go and hunt on the federal lands there. From what everybody is telling us the numbers of dogs are way down. We are not sure if it is the plague or something else.
    We went back to some spots that we were at last year but there had just been a 4 inch 2 days prior and many of those mounds had been flooded out.

We did do some scouting and found a few promising spots. Friday was slow we got on some dogs early but by that afternoon we just didn't see much.

So we did some more scouting and found a real promising town but saved it for Saturday

Saturday morning we came in early and stayed back at least 300 yd
    We were able to stay there most of the day and had a blast. It made the whole trip worth it.

We were shooting at minimum distances of 250 and out to about 350
    Once we got dialed in my Savage in 204 Ruger rained death to those dogs. I also got my old trusty Model 10 /223 to send some of them to hell from 250 yards but the wind played a bigger part when your MV is under 3000 FPS versus nearly 4000

Also this time I sat up in the bed of the truck to give us a better view and that worked great

20180526_084123.jpg

20180526_094821.jpg

20180525_110656.jpg

20180526_121346.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It really is.
    Big stress reduction for sure

One aspect I love is loading and knowing your ballistics and ranging your targets and making on site adjustments for conditions and then once you're dialed in you start shooting very small targets from long distances with consistancy

Very satisfying

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I got invited into a tight group of family members and a few close family friends that have been going for years

I am really not in a position where I can bring anyone else along except my son

However anyone can put a trip together and go and I'd be happy to help
    The Rita Blanco Grasslands is huge and lots of hunting there for sure

Top Bottom