password manager

glenbo

Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sep 3, 2014
San Leon
Most of my passwords have been compromised, so I'm looking for a password manager that's better than google, which is worthless, and apple, which is almost as bad. Free is worthless since you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay for a good, secure one. Any thoughts from those more tech savvy than me?

Brains

Hey! Relax!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apr 9, 2013
Spring
I struggle with helping staff with the same issue. Many people aren't very good or willing when it comes to setting and remembering secure passwords, so they tend to be terrible, they get reused, and thus compromised.

A lot of your decision will depend on "how secure" a solution you're looking for.

For built-in solutions, Apple's is by far the most elegant. IF you secure your iCloud account with 2 factor authentication, it's among the most secure and legally protected in the world. For any of these solutions, keep in mind there is one very big factor to consider. Trust. Despite claims either way, you're trusting whatever software and whatever person or company behind it with access to everything you put in it. At the very least, in your research you should ensure the provider advertises no storage of your private key. If they don't store it, they and anyone who should issue them a court order in essence have nothing. That's not to say they can't be forced to introduce a back door under pressure from a nefarious government, so choosing someone who is willing to stand against that type of court order on your behalf is another important part of your decision.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
I use 1Password.

It integrates with/across all of my devices and web browsers, super easy to use. It can also generate passwords.

I’ve got over 400 unique passwords to manage, this makes it easy.

6a3a23cd0ce3ffc8029148843c8f3bcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jan 13, 2017
Jarrell TX, United States
I use 1Password.

It integrates with/across all of my devices and web browsers, super easy to use. It can also generate passwords.

I’ve got over 400 unique passwords to manage, this makes it easy.

6a3a23cd0ce3ffc8029148843c8f3bcc.jpg

And if that app is ever compromised you're fucked.

Listen I've been in the PC game as long as Brain or maybe a little longer. about 32 years at this point. I have most passwords in my brain, HOWEVER, ALL of the important ones are in a binder in a safe. PHYSICAL. NONE OF THEM are on an app or a password manager. At least 2 of the major password manager apps have been hacked including their encryption keys and everyone that had them got screwed.

Second, Anything you give a shit about, use multifactor authentication to your phone. I even have it here. How strong your password DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is how strong is the security on the database your password is stored on by the server or the host. Frankly, my experience is almost never that strong. Any password hack I've encountered was always a server breach in which my info was stolen and the idiots did not even encrypt the passwords most of the time.

Forums, like this one, are notorious for having databases and passwords stolen. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email into that and you'll see how bad it is. It ONLY lists mine for the last 3 years, but I've had some passwords compromised as long as 25 years ago. AGAIN, not because of me, but because of the database they are stored on.

NEVER trust your passwords to anything online, physical storage only like paper in a safe.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
And if that app is ever compromised you're fucked.

Listen I've been in the PC game as long as Brain or maybe a little longer. about 32 years at this point. I have most passwords in my brain, HOWEVER, ALL of the important ones are in a binder in a safe. PHYSICAL. NONE OF THEM are on an app or a password manager. At least 2 of the major password manager apps have been hacked including their encryption keys and everyone that had them got screwed.

Second, Anything you give a shit about, use multifactor authentication to your phone. I even have it here. How strong your password DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is how strong is the security on the database your password is stored on by the server or the host. Frankly, my experience is almost never that strong. Any password hack I've encountered was always a server breach in which my info was stolen and the idiots did not even encrypt the passwords most of the time.

Forums, like this one, are notorious for having databases and passwords stolen. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email into that and you'll see how bad it is. It ONLY lists mine for the last 3 years, but I've had some passwords compromised as long as 25 years ago. AGAIN, not because of me, but because of the database they are stored on.

NEVER trust your passwords to anything online, physical storage only like paper in a safe.

giphy.gif

oldag

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Feb 19, 2015

Interesting.

Checked out clean.

Thanks for posting.

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier