• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Most of my passwords have been compromised, so I'm looking for a password manager that's better than google, which is worthless, and apple, which is almost as bad. Free is worthless since you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay for a good, secure one. Any thoughts from those more tech savvy than me?
    Guns International

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I struggle with helping staff with the same issue. Many people aren't very good or willing when it comes to setting and remembering secure passwords, so they tend to be terrible, they get reused, and thus compromised.

A lot of your decision will depend on "how secure" a solution you're looking for.

For built-in solutions, Apple's is by far the most elegant. IF you secure your iCloud account with 2 factor authentication, it's among the most secure and legally protected in the world. For any of these solutions, keep in mind there is one very big factor to consider. Trust. Despite claims either way, you're trusting whatever software and whatever person or company behind it with access to everything you put in it. At the very least, in your research you should ensure the provider advertises no storage of your private key. If they don't store it, they and anyone who should issue them a court order in essence have nothing. That's not to say they can't be forced to introduce a back door under pressure from a nefarious government, so choosing someone who is willing to stand against that type of court order on your behalf is another important part of your decision.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I use 1Password.

It integrates with/across all of my devices and web browsers, super easy to use. It can also generate passwords.

I’ve got over 400 unique passwords to manage, this makes it easy.

6a3a23cd0ce3ffc8029148843c8f3bcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I use 1Password.

It integrates with/across all of my devices and web browsers, super easy to use. It can also generate passwords.

I’ve got over 400 unique passwords to manage, this makes it easy.

6a3a23cd0ce3ffc8029148843c8f3bcc.jpg

And if that app is ever compromised you're fucked.

Listen I've been in the PC game as long as Brain or maybe a little longer. about 32 years at this point. I have most passwords in my brain, HOWEVER, ALL of the important ones are in a binder in a safe. PHYSICAL. NONE OF THEM are on an app or a password manager. At least 2 of the major password manager apps have been hacked including their encryption keys and everyone that had them got screwed.

Second, Anything you give a shit about, use multifactor authentication to your phone. I even have it here. How strong your password DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is how strong is the security on the database your password is stored on by the server or the host. Frankly, my experience is almost never that strong. Any password hack I've encountered was always a server breach in which my info was stolen and the idiots did not even encrypt the passwords most of the time.

Forums, like this one, are notorious for having databases and passwords stolen. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email into that and you'll see how bad it is. It ONLY lists mine for the last 3 years, but I've had some passwords compromised as long as 25 years ago. AGAIN, not because of me, but because of the database they are stored on.

NEVER trust your passwords to anything online, physical storage only like paper in a safe.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    And if that app is ever compromised you're fucked.

Listen I've been in the PC game as long as Brain or maybe a little longer. about 32 years at this point. I have most passwords in my brain, HOWEVER, ALL of the important ones are in a binder in a safe. PHYSICAL. NONE OF THEM are on an app or a password manager. At least 2 of the major password manager apps have been hacked including their encryption keys and everyone that had them got screwed.

Second, Anything you give a shit about, use multifactor authentication to your phone. I even have it here. How strong your password DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is how strong is the security on the database your password is stored on by the server or the host. Frankly, my experience is almost never that strong. Any password hack I've encountered was always a server breach in which my info was stolen and the idiots did not even encrypt the passwords most of the time.

Forums, like this one, are notorious for having databases and passwords stolen. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Enter your email into that and you'll see how bad it is. It ONLY lists mine for the last 3 years, but I've had some passwords compromised as long as 25 years ago. AGAIN, not because of me, but because of the database they are stored on.

NEVER trust your passwords to anything online, physical storage only like paper in a safe.

giphy.gif

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Interesting.

Checked out clean.

Thanks for posting.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Thanks for the info. I currently have over 150 passwords, that's why I'm looking at a manager. So far no damage has been done, probably because I don't have anything to steal.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Thanks for the info. I currently have over 150 passwords, that's why I'm looking at a manager. So far no damage has been done, probably because I don't have anything to steal.

Where I work it is a fireable offense to use a password manager for company related internal passwords. There's a reason for that.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    which of these pw managers have good integration with browsers to auto enter the password ? I currently use the extra cost pw manager that comes with (not with, but as an extra cost option) AVAST anti-virus.

But dang, it is getting to be expensive every year to renew. Before AVAST I used Roboform which was good but not great. Some websites logins really stumped it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    which of these pw managers have good integration with browsers to auto enter the password ? I currently use the extra cost pw manager that comes with (not with, but as an extra cost option) AVAST anti-virus.

But dang, it is getting to be expensive every year to renew. Before AVAST I used Roboform which was good but not great. Some websites logins really stumped it.

1Password integrates with your browser, as well as many apps. It doesn’t auto enter the PW, you have to enter your 1Password login or use face/fingerprint ID, then it auto fills them.

It’s not too secure if it auto enters your info without having to take a step.

The only ones that auto fill come with the browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom