Patriot Mobile

Patrick promises to lower property taxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't see how anyone could like Dewhurst more.....or how Patrick is forcing anyone to vote for a particular candidate. That last part makes absolutely no sense at all.
    DK Firearms

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    For the record. I am not voting for Dewhurst.

I just like getting you guys riled up.

It's kinda like poking caged lions with a stick for the Hell of it.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The only way to reduce property taxes is to cap assessed values and tax rates. For example, the taxable value of your homestead should not be increased as long as you or your legal heirs own the property from the time it was acquired. Today, that is a pipe dream.

Nor may any improvements or additions be piled on to the original assessed value.

This would stimulate the economy, because the improvements and additions would be taxed at the point of purchase --one time.

There is only one way to balance the State Budget: Don't spend more than you get in revenues. Texas does that quite nicely, but makes up for no income tax with high property taxes.

The most profitable path would be to cut government services. We have redundant State, County, and City services.

The most glaring example is public schools, which suck up most of our public funds. Multiple districts in the same city with duplicate administrations that suck money away from the class room.

End "Robin Hood" where the more affluent school districts have to divert their tax revenues to less affluent districts.

Next, are overlapping municipal and county governments, where one entity competes with the other for funds.

Finally reduce "user fees." Make access to State parks and lakes totally free. Sell hunting and fishing licenses for $1.00 each. Encourage businesses to open concessions on State lands. They could sell bait, beer, & bullets. The sales taxes would be funneled back into to the State Treasury.

End Welfare as we know it.

Keep it simple.

Leave my Guns be!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    What about replacing property taxes with expanding sales tax to additional products?

What products do you suggest we expand sales tax to? Food? Charities? Products for resale? I'm not aware of too many sales tax exemptions.

End "Robin Hood" where the more affluent school districts have to divert their tax revenues to less affluent districts.

I've seen the effects of Robin Hood. To me, if citizens of the State of Texas pay taxes for kids to be educated in our schools, then that's what it needs to go towards.

Before Robin Hood, the town a few miles South of me held fundraisers every year so they could buy things like copy paper for teachers to make copies of tests and things on. That doesn't happen anymore, but since Robin Hood has been in effect, some school districts are still finding the funds to build 60 million dollar football stadiums and spend millions of dollars a year on their athletic programs.

Don't get me wrong, I like football as much as the next guy, and I've attended my share of local HS football games, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that taxes collected for education should be used to build $60,000,000.00 stadiums when some schools can't afford basic supplies.

Now if the community can afford that kind of stadium great, find another way to pay for it like ticket sales, fundraisers, additional fees, etc. I'm not a fan of welfare, but I'm not a fan of wasting tax money either. Personally, I think I would do a better job of blowing my money on stupid stuff than the government is currently doing.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    What products do you suggest we expand sales tax to? Food? Charities? Products for resale? I'm not aware of too many sales tax exemptions.

I've seen the effects of Robin Hood. To me, if citizens of the State of Texas pay taxes for kids to be educated in our schools, then that's what it needs to go towards.

Before Robin Hood, the town a few miles South of me held fundraisers every year so they could buy things like copy paper for teachers to make copies of tests and things on. That doesn't happen anymore, but since Robin Hood has been in effect, some school districts are still finding the funds to build 60 million dollar football stadiums and spend millions of dollars a year on their athletic programs.

Don't get me wrong, I like football as much as the next guy, and I've attended my share of local HS football games, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that taxes collected for education should be used to build $60,000,000.00 stadiums when some schools can't afford basic supplies.

Now if the community can afford that kind of stadium great, find another way to pay for it like ticket sales, fundraisers, additional fees, etc. I'm not a fan of welfare, but I'm not a fan of wasting tax money either. Personally, I think I would do a better job of blowing my money on stupid stuff than the government is currently doing.
    Don't want your kids going to a shithole school, don't live in a shithole town.

I have a real problem with the robin hood program. I great up in Deer Park, right next to all the chemical plants on the ship channel. As such property values were high therefore tax revenue was too. We had everything we needed and we had nice schools for sure but some definitely needed work. My elementary was finally shut down due to having so damn much asbestos that it was cheaper to build an entire new school than to refurb the old one. I lived next to the chemical plants where at any time some toxic fumes could be released and on more than one occasion did. Thankfully not enough to really hurt anything. Its not right for people in the richer school districts to pay higher taxes to give it to some poor ass school district in the middle of nowhere where their annual taxes are what we pay in a month. That's screwed up.

Stadiums and new schools are largely paid with bond initiatives, not regular property tax revenue. The bonds are in ADDITION to regular school taxes. So all that fancy stuff youre bitching about the rich school districts getting, theyre paying for it WHILE paying for the people who live out in the middle of nowhere.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I have a real problem with the robin hood program. I great up in Deer Park, right next to all the chemical plants on the ship channel. As such property values were high therefore tax revenue was too. We had everything we needed and we had nice schools for sure but some definitely needed work. My elementary was finally shut down due to having so damn much asbestos that it was cheaper to build an entire new school than to refurb the old one. I lived next to the chemical plants where at any time some toxic fumes could be released and on more than one occasion did. Thankfully not enough to really hurt anything. Its not right for people in the richer school districts to pay higher taxes to give it to some poor ass school district in the middle of nowhere where their annual taxes are what we pay in a month. That's screwed up.

Stadiums and new schools are largely paid with bond initiatives, not regular property tax revenue. The bonds are in ADDITION to regular school taxes. So all that fancy stuff youre bitching about the rich school districts getting, theyre paying for it WHILE paying for the people who live out in the middle of nowhere.

The middle of nowhere has oil and gas wells and giant windfarms. Our schools are being robbed too. Use it or lose it.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

How do you think they pay back those bonds?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    The middle of nowhere has oil and gas wells and giant windfarms. Our schools are being robbed too. Use it or lose it.
    I dont know of anyones kids who live on location. Most families in that industry live in cities like midland and odessa. Im sure their schools arent hurting after property values have skyrocketed.
    How do you think they pay back those bonds?
    Property taxes in THAT district goes up. So the taxes wouldnt have to go up in that town to pay for the new schools if they actually got to keep their revenue.

I just think as an adult you have to make a conscious decision of what is important. If great schools are important to you then you need to move where the good schools are. Next year we are moving to get in a good school district in preparation for our oldest starting school. These people that feel entitled to have everything they feel they should have is ridiculous.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What about we stop taxing property and people purchase education just like they purchase anything else.

That way folks can prioritize and get the type of education they want for their kids.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    My problem with Robbing Hood is that I don't get to vote in the other districts school board elections. This is taxation without representation. Wasn't there some sort of armed conflict about that back East.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    What about we stop taxing property and people purchase education just like they purchase anything else.

That way folks can prioritize and get the type of education they want for their kids.

Im all for voucher programs in education, it would be cheaper and increase quality.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I dont know of anyones kids who live on location. Most families in that industry live in cities like midland and odessa. Im sure their schools arent hurting after property values have skyrocketed.

So because you don't know anybody who's kids live on location, you just assume they all live in the city?

I just think as an adult you have to make a conscious decision of what is important. If great schools are important to you then you need to move where the good schools are. Next year we are moving to get in a good school district in preparation for our oldest starting school.

What about the folks who can't afford to move to a different school district?

These people that feel entitled to have everything they feel they should have is ridiculous.

Agreed. Those who have a 60 million dollar stadium and spend over a million a year out of the general fund on football expenses, shouldn't be complaining about helping others out. If you can afford that kind of outlay, don't whine about your taxes. If you don't like the taxes, stop voting for those kind of expenditures or move to a different district. (that argument works both ways)

My problem with Robbing Hood is that I don't get to vote in the other districts school board elections. This is taxation without representation. Wasn't there some sort of armed conflict about that back East.

Good point, but......., Robin Hood is a state program, and as long as you live in the Great State of Texas, you most certainly are represented, and the citizens have the full ability to vote out all the morons in Austin at anytime they so choose.

If Robin Hood was a big enough deal to the citizens of Texas, it could be thrown out without a single shot being fired. We would just have to make it be known, and believed, that no one would be elected to office unless it was repealed.

It may be a pipe dream since most people are more interested in what the Kardashians are doing, but it's not quite the same as without representation.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I lived and went to school on both sides of Robin Hood fence. Screw Robin Hood and the idiots that put it in place. Communism doesn't work, there are better solutions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    So because you don't know anybody who's kids live on location, you just assume they all live in the city?

What about the folks who can't afford to move to a different school district?

Agreed. Those who have a 60 million dollar stadium and spend over a million a year out of the general fund on football expenses, shouldn't be complaining about helping others out. If you can afford that kind of outlay, don't whine about your taxes. If you don't like the taxes, stop voting for those kind of expenditures or move to a different district. (that argument works both ways)

Good point, but......., Robin Hood is a state program, and as long as you live in the Great State of Texas, you most certainly are represented, and the citizens have the full ability to vote out all the morons in Austin at anytime they so choose.

If Robin Hood was a big enough deal to the citizens of Texas, it could be thrown out without a single shot being fired. We would just have to make it be known, and believed, that no one would be elected to office unless it was repealed.

It may be a pipe dream since most people are more interested in what the Kardashians are doing, but it's not quite the same as without representation.
    Nobodys family lives on the damn oil rig, and very few live way outside of town. Theres a reason puissant cities like three rivers and karnes have gotten so expensive much less Midland and Odessa.

While I don't agree with building a 60 million dollar HS football stadium, I don't think its right for the people of that district to have to foot the bill for other kids education too while also having to pay for new schools or in your example football stadiums. Its also not like everyone is building these big edifices either. My school district was a robin hood giver and our stadium was 30 years old so your generalization is a way overstated.

I get so tired of the "cant afford" excuse BS that so many people use. My wife stays at home with our kids, while I make alright money, Im nowhere near 6 figures and we do just fine. If people didn't feel the need to constantly have brand new cars, $150 a month cable bills, the newest cell phone and wasted money eating out all the time theyd have a lot more money for more important shit. The people who truly cant afford to move elsewhere are the exception not the rule. Neither of us drive brand new vehicles, we don't have cable, I eat out for lunch 4 times a month and we go out to eat twice a month which saves a massive amount of money but most don't cook very much these days, my wife gets my brother in laws hand me down phones and mine is paid for by my company. Its amazing how much money you can save when you cut out the unnecessary BS. I started from the bottom at 20 years old and worked my way up to a decent position by busting my ass so I feel very little sympathy for these poor souls who "cant afford" to put their kids in a better school district. They could afford it, its just not a priority for them, plain and simple. For us our kids are our number 1 priority which is why my wife stays at home with them to make sure theyre brought up right and we will be getting them into a good school district so they have a better chance to succeed in life.

By your stance it sounds like youre full on for communism. That's exactly what the robin hood program is. Its no different than obamacare that so many like to rail against. When you take money from one group and give it to another just because "everyone deserves it" is nonsense.

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    While I do get representation at the state level, I have no say in the school district that my school taxes are transferred to. In addition, having to support two school districts, mine and some other, it makes my property taxes higher than they should be. Taxes in the recipient districts should be as high or higher than mine but I doubt that is the case.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Property tax IMO is one of the most unfair taxes going, schools aren't getting better with the increase in money, most districts simply turn into a hiring center for brother Bob or Jose and of course they must increase taxes to keep family on the payroll each year. We need a better system for school funding current setup lends itself to corruption.
    If you can do all possible to home school or private school your children, does not solve the funding problem I know but your kids will be much better off in future years. Our schools are a disaster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom