That is incorrect.

There is no tax on a transfer.
    Texas SOT

Kincaid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Galveston
    OK, I've stated my case - I feel better that I bantered it around with you guys. I will follow through with my formal complaint process, maybe even small claims. Have to spend $50 to recoup - maybe $150-200. I'd assume $50 is a reasonable transfer fee, although I think I read the state average is $17.50! Could that be right?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    The ATF doesn't charge tax.

Right, but they don't charge a transfer fee either, the dealer does. Correct? And the dealer is a business (obviously) that is required to adhere to all fed/state/local tax laws. The ATF requires the transfer, so dealers charge for it. So is the transfer fee sent to ATF and not taxable that way? Or is the fee considered a service such as labor and not taxable that way?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't care what the other side of the story is, $250 is legal theft. I don't like nor would I knowingly deal with a thief.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Tax on transfers is a gray area. I've never been charged tax, but have heard of this being done. I just hope they are actually claiming it as tax, and sending it to the state.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    OK, I've stated my case - I feel better that I bantered it around with you guys. I will follow through with my formal complaint process, maybe even small claims. Have to spend $50 to recoup - maybe $150-200. I'd assume $50 is a reasonable transfer fee, although I think I read the state average is $17.50! Could that be right?

Sorry for your hassel. This behavior does not reflect the way most Texas business operates.

Kincaid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Galveston
    Well, before I'm finished I will make sure it doesn't go in his pocket. I have the receipt. I'm tempted to dispute the credit card charge!!! Hey - maybe that's an angle - dispute the charge, make him chase me.

beerpunk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Sugar Land
    Well, before I'm finished I will make sure it doesn't go in his pocket. I have the receipt. I'm tempted to dispute the credit card charge!!! Hey - maybe that's an angle - dispute the charge, make him chase me.

I would.... let him explain and justify to CC co.;)

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX

I know it's not my $250.00 + but I think if it was.........I would chalk it up to a very costly lesson in life and go on about my business. Disputing the charge would almost bring you down to his level and since there was a FFL transfer involved.....you might end up get ATF involved again but they would be on his side this time not yours. Just my

Kincaid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Galveston
    Good point Okie. CC said it hasn't been "posted" yet, but they flagged it and I have to call back on Thursday to see if it is posted in that amount, then I tell them if it's disputed. I don't mind being ripped off - a little - the transaction wasn't a plain vanilla thank you very much type -- but, $250+tax ($270) is just a tad past the point of toleration.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Good point Okie. CC said it hasn't been "posted" yet, but they flagged it and I have to call back on Thursday to see if it is posted in that amount, then I tell them if it's disputed. I don't mind being ripped off - a little - the transaction wasn't a plain vanilla thank you very much type -- but, $250+tax ($270) is just a tad past the point of toleration.

Understand your point and pain......just saying disputing the charge may not be the best approach.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom