• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wookie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    San Antonio
    So I got a P350 Stoeger a couple weeks ago (18 inch barrel, pistol grip). This is my HD shotgun (loaded with 00 buck).

I've taken it to the range a couple of times to see how it patterns and get used to firing it (put about 120 rounds through it, only one round didn't eject cleanly...may be a short stroke by me?).

Anyway, at 7 yards the 00 buck spreads to about 15 inches. That seems like a good spread for HD, but I'm surpised how wide the it spreads.

Think that is a good spread, too wide? Would the gun be more effective at a tighter spread? BTW - I cannot put chokes in the barrel.
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So I got a P350 Stoeger a couple weeks ago (18 inch barrel, pistol grip). This is my HD shotgun (loaded with 00 buck).

I've taken it to the range a couple of times to see how it patterns and get used to firing it (put about 120 rounds through it, only one round didn't eject cleanly...may be a short stroke by me?).

Anyway, at 7 yards the 00 buck spreads to about 15 inches. That seems like a good spread for HD, but I'm surpised how wide the it spreads.

Think that is a good spread, too wide? Would the gun be more effective at a tighter spread? BTW - I cannot put chokes in the barrel.

15 inches at 7 yards is unacceptable, IMO. Try different ammo.

This is from my Mossberg 20 inch;

020105moss500.jpg

020105moss5002.jpg

For fun, 25 yards. All pellets on the target

020105moss5003.jpg

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My 870 has about 12" spread at 20 yards with Winchester Super X 00 9 pellet loads. I prefer tight patterns. You can try different brands, the federal loads with flite control wads are supposed to make small patterns but I couldn't find any for a reasonable price yet.

wookie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thanks for everyone's input and pics (those clearly displayed the difference). I guess the P350 is a HD, short range gun only (except for slugs).

I tried some different brands, but the result was similar. Since I can't put a choke in the barrel, I'll have to live with it. Still, I think short range (up to 10-15 yards) the gun will be effective (especially at less than 10 yards).

Since I can't shoot more than about 12 yards (max) in my apartment I think I'll keep this gun and save up for another shotgun.

BTW - at least the gun has been very reliable at the range.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Have you tried the TAP ammo? https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=1411

Or the Federal ammo with the Flight control wad? Federal reduced recoil buckshot?
    Some say lower V gets less deformation of pellets which gives a tighter pattern.

I found this also:
    Ammunition Selection - Several noted gunsmiths who are familiar with shotguns have stated that the patterning or grouping ability of shotgun barrels is 1/10 gunsmithing and 9/10s magic. Barrels with effectively identical internal and external dimensions and chokes will give widely varying performances with different shot sizes, loadings, and brands. This is especially true with slugs where a barrel can show a three to five inch difference in group size simply by changing the brand of slugs.
    Because the performance of a given barrel is so dependent on the particular ammunition trying to document patterning or group testing is a waste of time. However, using the same brand of standard 00 buckshot in a variety typical unmodified riotguns I have observed 25 yd patterns ranging from 4¾"(!) up to 25", and 5-shot slug groups using standard Foster type slugs ranging from slightly under 3" to over 7" at 75 yards.
    The current "reduced recoil" Federal and Remington "Tactical" buckshot loads give greatly reduced pattern diameter in just about every weapon they are fired in because of the lower pellet deformation. However, there are always exceptions. Thus, it is extremely important to zero and pattern your shotgun with the actual ammunition that you will be using. This will allow you to determine the performance of and the appropriate zones for your combination.

Shotgun

Top Bottom