• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Is everyone keeping an eye on the pawnshops for good deals? The ones around here seem to have pretty good prices on some guns. They haven't increased their prices much if any and several have pretty decent layaway plans. I laid away a Ruger Redhawk .44 for $250 in great condition.
    Military Camp

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I was at Tomball Pawn and they had Two RIA 1911's new , one
    Gov model for about 389.00 and a chromed one for around 450.00.
    But will power won out and I saved money for another day.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've checked a couple of pawn shops in Plano. For their used guns, they wanted just as much as it cost for a new one.......so I bought new ones.

While in Shreveport, I was able to pick up a couple of AR's for a decent price. I guess it just depends on their pricing policies.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I've been checking the pawn shops in Mesquite and Garland and haven't seen any bargains. Check craigslist for garage/yard sales, sometimes you can find good deals and haggle the price down.

Saxet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    Rarely have I found a good deal at pawn shops. Nowadays most of the chain pawn shops have pre-set prices and do not generally haggle as much as the ole' Mom & Pop shops.

:banghead:

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've found some good deals in pawnshops, and seen some outlandish prices as well. I've been looking for a decent Marlin 336 in .30/30 for a project, found one in a pawn shop, nothing special, just a standard production rifle with a cheapy Simmons 3x9 on it, for $459.00. I pointed out that was considerably above list, let alone discounted price for a new rifle, and was told with a shrug, "somebody will buy it".

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yeah, but go in to sell one of your guns and see how much they think it's worth. I understand they make money by buying from people strapped for cash, and will usually low ball, but dang, they need to price it correctly to sell.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Tomball Pawn is a good pawnshop to buy and sell. They are pretty fair all the way around.

The other pawnshops in Houston range from average deals to crazy high prices. Tons of junk....you have to really dig for the good stuff anymore.

One thing I have noticed about the pawnshops in Houston. Even if they DO have really high prices on guns...go in there and show them cash and many will bring the prices back down to earth. NOt always....but moreso that you'd think.

Apparently, they price the guns really high, hoping that the ignorant poor people living nearby do not shop around and will blindly pay the high prices. If you go in there and know your stuff...sometimes they will drop prices if you have cash. But don't you dare try to sell your guns to them...you'll get scalped!

- Brickboy240

jodevilgod1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    tx
    I do keep an eye on the pawnshops, but havent found much interesting lately.

Earlier today I went into action pawn and was talking to the guy behind the counter, after a little conversation he told me I could trade my g22 with a ton of accessories for a USPc marked up at $650. I said SWEET and grabbed the gun, holsters and mags. When I returned he said "I dont know if I'll be able to get you anywhere near where you need to be". After going to the computer he came back and told me he would give me $350 for everything. What a joke.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    Don't ever sell anything at a pawn shop unless you are desperate and need money instantly, that's what they're for. Sell to a private party instead and get the products worth.

Like Brickboy said, when you buy at a pawn shop, take cash and in multiple denominations so when you plan to make an offer, count the exact amount and stuff in one pocket. Tell them that's all you have, if they don't budge, leave.

jodevilgod1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    tx
    I concur. It was just how he told me he would allow me to trade 1 for 1, then turned around and offered me pocket change for it that pissed me off.

Don't ever sell anything at a pawn shop unless you are desperate and need money instantly, that's what they're for. Sell to a private party instead and get the products worth.

Like Brickboy said, when you buy at a pawn shop, take cash and in multiple denominations so when you plan to make an offer, count the exact amount and stuff in one pocket. Tell them that's all you have, if they don't budge, leave.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I have NEVER found it good to sell or trade a gun at ANY pawnshop.

However, I have found...over the years of doing this...that many times, if I carry cash into a pawnshop and KNOW what it is I am looking at...the high price on the tag starts dropping like a rock. Not always...but more times than you'd think.

Many pawnshop owners KNOW darned well that they have overpriced their guns and if you come in and know guns and know pricing and talk nice to them..and have cash...they will bring the price down to earth. Most pawnshops price the guns way high, because they are planning on some customer placing the overpriced gun on layaway and making bank on them or that the usually uninformed poorer people in their neighborhoods will just wander in and pay the high price with no research or bargaining.

Most pawnshop love cash. They're not big on you buying with a credit card or trading anything and putting cash with it. The biggest discount WILL COME from you flashing cash and having a complete "take it or leave it" attitude.

Most of the times, these pawnshops have taken in their guns for 1/3 of what they're really worth. They can EASLIY knock 1/3 off the listed price for a cash buyer and still make money and you can maybe get a decent deal.

A little knowledge of HOW these shops work and knowing what it is you're looking at goes a long ways.

Its still hit and mis...but I'd be lying if I said I did not own a few pawnshop rescues that have turned out to be some of my favorites! You have to be willing to put a little effort into the hunt...you know.

- brickboy240

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    I used to find great deals on nice firearms at pawn shops. I found my mid 70's vintage Remy 700BDL at a pawn shop in Conroe, I found a great Smith K-22 made in 1958 at a place on 1960 near Kuykendahl, I found a great Walther P22 and others.

However, I've pretty much stopped looking at pawn shops except for Tomball Pawn. Most of the new shops in northwest Houston don't even have an FFL or they don't deal in pistols.

I don't get up to Conroe much anymore and the other places I used to stop in at from time to time now always have junk. I asked about that one time and the clerk let it slip that the employees at that particular store snatch up all the quality stuff before it ever hits the shelf. As an example, he showed me his nice Kimber........ So much for those guys..... :mad:

Deals can still be had but it would be best to develop a relationship with the owner or manager. If you would like for him to keep an eye out for something, let him know. The're there to make money and there's no reason for them not to at least be helpful.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    Plano Pawn has been marking their pistols up to new pricing for a bit now and they've caught onto the AR craze. Mags there are now $40, just like Bullet Trap. They were expecting me to pick some up when I picked up an AR transfer the other day, not a chance. lol

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    well sometimes here around Abilene you can find a good deal on guns in some of the pawn shops. got a winchester model 94 30 30 for 300 out the door today and it is in great shape too. now they wanted more but they will deal if they know you. oh and it has the scope mount on it too.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I don't get up to Conroe much anymore and the other places I used to stop in at from time to time now always have junk. I asked about that one time and the clerk let it slip that the employees at that particular store snatch up all the quality stuff before it ever hits the shelf. As an example, he showed me his nice Kimber........ So much for those guys..... :mad:

Sounds like a good opportunity to make some new friends!

Top Bottom