• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    lol Just curious Nalioth but, what has been your personal experience with Linux. I'm asking mainly from the perspective of security, spyware, etc. I don't remember ever hearing about it being that secure, but if it is that is definitely an attractive characteristic. In confess I don't know all that much about Linux since I never got into it during my gaming days.

OHHHHH man dont get Naloith started but he will convert you.. im actually going to install linux on my PS3 this weekend.
    Hurley's Gold

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    Y'all would laugh at my set up. I have 2- 1.4 GHZ AMD Athlon desktops, one with RAID, one without. I have 768 MB of RAM in one and 1 GB of ram in the RAID desktop. (I like the RAID because I can have up to eight hard drives in that one.) I built them around 2000 & 2001. I have Office XP on both. For what I do, they do the job quite well. I don't game, so that's not an issue. However, what I did at the time was, I built the best affordable desktops at the time. They've served me well. I need to upgrade, someday, but I'll run these as long as XP stays viable and then, I MIGHT consider Linux after that. Someday, after I get a job and no longer have to exist on my Navy Retirement pay, I might get something more up to date. Honestly, get the best you can afford, it'll last longer than you'd expect. My Server desktop originally started with 98SE and has outlived 98, ME and looks like XP.

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    There are 4 things on your computer you want to concentrate on.
    • Memory - More and Faster is better
    • CPU - More and Faster is better
    • Graphics - Fastest is better
    • Diskspace - more & faster is better
    Everything else unless you're building a server or a specialized machine is of secondary or little importance. The next thing is to ensure that the PC has enough cooling capacity to keep the cpu within its parms and the memory running.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    <shitstorm> Ubuntu is linux for windows people ... that is all. </shitstorm>
    That's pretty funny considering the guy that turned me on to Ubuntu - about 3 years ago - was a FBSD guy that ended up using Ubuntu on almost all his desktop machines. Why? Because it "just worked" once installed.
    Spending time compiling crap, fixing settings, and googling fixes is you working for your computer, not your computer working for you. I use Ubuntu because it works!
    Lindows/Linspire/Freespire is Linux for Windoze people. Almost anything KDE is.

Eli

Top Bottom