• TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Yes. Try to avoid Ft. Hood.

Just kidding. I just spent too many of my younger years there.

You're going to like the area. I see you're 11B so they're probably not going to let you stay too far from post which will limit your choices somewhat.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    your rank will have a great deal with what you can - and what you can not avoid. there are plenty of places in the area - if you have income flexibility - to live out in the country.

really depends on what kind of living you want - but Killeen -of all the places there - is the least desireable..... my son and his room mate are renting a house in Harker Heights

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Nates- i was stationed there from 91 to 95 - when the notion of a national restaurant chain in Killeen was non existant - now 190 is crawling with chains - the point is that its changed a great deal - improved SIGNIFICANTLY

but there are parts of Killeen that are bad.....but then Comanche II housing area was one of our busiest neighborhoods for a good case (I was in CID)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I never cared much for Killeen. Terrible traffic, nothing to do, and I always thought prices for most things seemed higher in that area.

I never lived there, never had to stay in the area for more than a month or so and it's been a while. It's in Texas though so that's a BIG plus.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'll have to let some of the guys with more recent knowledge of the place answer that.

Killeen was pretty bad when I was stationed there but that's been about 20 years ago.

Actually the last few times I've been through there I noticed that there were quite a few new places to eat and shop.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    harker heights. House for sale on corner of Delaware and Wickiup. 9minutes door to door to the Main gate of Ft Hood. Some areas of Killeen, south near the police Station, are nice- kind of large ranch properties so a bit higher end 9for the area, which is very reasonable).

If you are looking for something specific, let us know i m sure we can help you out.

if you need a rental, i know a guy as well.

If you just want a realtor, use Eva and Rick Kagel- best in the area.
    C-

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    This place sucks. Harker Heights and Cove are much superior to Killeen. Been here for 6 years now and can't get away!!! In all seriousness as long as your not in the downtown area between Veterans memorial and Rancier Rd its not bad. Everything right outside the east gate of Ft. hood is the reason I have a CHL.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm in Cove. Keep this in mind-Killeen rush hour traffic is HORRIBLE. On top of that-starting this summer, they will be doing highway construction though killed that is supposed to last a year and a half. So crappy traffic on top of an already crappy town.....yea. Copperas Cove isn't too bad if you can get a place north of town. Then, you can just get on base through one of the west gates and avoid the majority of traffic.

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    Well don't stay in duplexes, 4 plexes or apartments and you should be alright. Also try to avoid staying in the "box" comprised of Ft Hood St, 38th St, Rancier, and Veterans Memorial.

I always preferred living close to Post since like a lot of bases traffic and can be rough at the peak times, (PT, Lunch, Retreat). There are some nice developments on Stan Schleuter and Harker Heights south of Hwy 190.

I did not enjoy living in Copperas Cove as the PD there seemed to make pay from tickets and it is smaller than Killeen or Harker Heights.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Unless you like a lot of traffic I'd not move to Killeen or Cove proper. Wife works on base we live our 45 miles from 3 Corps. Takes her 50 mins to get their. I would suggest if you like the country to go west like off of 580 or near Pidcoke. We are way further out from there but no traffice lights till you get on post. If you come down 116 you hope on Elijah and drove on base in from the NW. Gatesville is at North Ft Hood and you can take West Range right on in. From Gatesville proper down 36 and in West range 3 Corps is 35 mins. You get away from all the traffice and really are out in cowboy country. It's why we moved way NW, it was a great decision.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Howdy & Welcome.

Fort Hood was a great place to be stationed way back when.

I lived in a rental in Harker Heights and it only took about 20 minutes to get to work. It was mostly 190 all the way.

Every now and then you had to slow down for stray cattle on the road.

Have not been back since '90, so cannot comment on traffic.

Sounds like the community sucked up Federal Dollars, but did nothing to help the people assigned to Fort Hood. Pretty typical for a G.I. Town.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Ive lived in Killeen since 80/81. Dad retired there from 1st or 2nd AD I forgot which. Lived a few blocks from the Lubys Massacre when it happened. Avoid central Killeen if at all possible

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    I bought a house in Copperas Cove and I loved it. I have since moved to Singapore with the government, but I still have my house in Cove because I can see myself moving back there in the future. I personally would not move anywhere east of Hood on 190. Way too much traffic. There are plenty of shortcuts to Hood from Copperas Cove.

granite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I'm in Cove. Keep this in mind-Killeen rush hour traffic is HORRIBLE.

Lol. Didn't know cove people could complain about killeen traffic. I say this in humor. I call cove the kamikazee hi way. People close their eyez and make a left turn in front of you every day. Can't wait till the loop around is finished

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Depending on the time(s) of day you will be driving, if you live in Copperas Cove (West of the main gate); the sun will be in your eyes both driving in and driving home. just a little thing but the way the kids drive around here, you need all the help you can get.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea, that sun can suck....but I've had way worse luck with drivers in harker heights. That place is lousy.

Top Bottom