• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I do believe if the agreed upon safety plan (one was filed with insurers) was not followed and given it’s likely there were previous negligent discharges (misfires) of some sort on set...

I haven't read any substantiation of a misfire having happened. Multiple negligent discharges, yes, but I'm not aware of any firearm having malfunctioned. The one Baldwin killed with worked exactly as designed - unfortunately, there was an idiot pointing it at someone at the time.
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I haven't read any substantiation of a misfire having happened. Multiple negligent discharges, yes, but I'm not aware of any firearm having malfunctioned. The one Baldwin killed with worked exactly as designed - unfortunately, there was an idiot pointing it at someone at the time.

I used the term misfire solely to associate that word the media used with what it was, a negligent discharge.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I used the term misfire solely to associate that word the media used with what it was, a negligent discharge.
    I wasn't really paying attention until it was mentioned, but the media was using the word "misfire" a lot.

I have to agree, that it wasn't a misfire. The gun performed exactly as any firearm should with a live round.

Meh? I think maybe the media is using the incorrect word to be misleading and trying to lay the blame on the gun instead of the person who was holding the gun. Which would be typical of the media.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think maybe the media is using the incorrect word to be misleading and trying to lay the blame on the gun instead of the person who was holding the gun. Which would be typical of the media.

My thoughts exactly. This is a way of shifting the blame off of the individual who behaved in an unsafe manner and ended a life through his carelessness.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My thoughts exactly. This is a way of shifting the blame off of the individual who behaved in an unsafe manner and ended a life through his carelessness.
    For all intents, the gun performed perfectly. IF there had been a misfire, as the media likes to describe the event, more than likely this wouldn't even be talked about, because that lady would probably still be alive today.

You would think, if the media were the professionals, that they claim to be, they would know the definition of misfire. A failure to fire.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    re: misfire. Every definition I’ve seen or heard that’s related to firearms deals with a failure to fire.

When there is a discharge that is not intentional, the terms are negligent discharge is caused by human error or accidental discharge if there is no human interaction with the gun.

True accidental discharges are exceedingly rare. Generally speaking, accidental discharges are mechanical failures or equipment malfunctions.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Meh? I think they know the definition of the term misfire. I think they are intentionally using the wrong term on purpose to lead the ill-informed masses reading their news reports to believe this to be a fault of the pistol used, rather than the person who was holding and pulling the trigger of the pistol.

I do think the wrong word is quite intentional.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Meh? I think they know the definition of the term misfire. I think they are intentionally using the wrong term on purpose to lead the ill-informed masses reading their news reports to believe this to be a fault of the pistol used, rather than the person who was holding and pulling the trigger of the pistol.

Much like "assault rifle"
    "High capacity magazine"
    Etc....

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

I don’t. Believing that implies there’s enough journalistic intelligence to sew that all up. I’ll bet that since the word’s usage is attributed to Baldwin’s PR hack the press just ran with it. From one of the earliest reports:

“A spokesperson for Baldwin said only there was an accident on the set involving the misfire of a prop gun with blanks.”

That PR hack may know the difference, but I doubt that, too. That early statement was crafted with damage control in mind, not technical accuracy, especially considering there would not have been conclusive evidence of a mechanical failure at the time, and the other option would admit human error was involved.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don’t. Believing that implies there’s enough journalistic intelligence to sew that all up. I’ll bet that since the word’s usage is attributed to Baldwin’s PR hack the press just ran with it. From one of the earliest reports:

“A spokesperson for Baldwin said only there was an accident on the set involving the misfire of a prop gun with blanks.”

That PR hack may know the difference, but I doubt that, too. That early statement was crafted with damage control in mind, not technical accuracy.
    I agree with you. Many times they just run with the story they are given, without looking for any inaccuracies with the story.

This right here:

Prop gun. False.
    Blanks. Again, false.
    Misfire. Another false.
    Accident. And another false.

Sounds like the spokesperson was already doing spin control before the woman's body was even cold.

I believe they were very well content to run with what was given to them, instead of following up and checking out the facts first. After all, if the majority of your audience and readers don't know any different, who is going to even know the difference, or the truth.

But, I do believe that they are also content to misuse the word "misfire" because it suits their needs.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Despite his politics I'll defend him and anyone to the extent I dont think it was intetional and as someone with little or no firearms knowledge or training he had hired an "EXPERT" to tell him what to do and how to do it.

He can't be expected to know a prop gun was going to fire a seemingly live round. He may not have even known if it was live, dummy or a blank if he had checked (and how do we know he didn't?). The Master of Arms bears the brunt of the responsibility IMO.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Your opinion is wrong. Come work in my gunstore for a day. It should make you uncomfortable. I will check a gun before handing it to a customer even if I just showed it to someone else 10 minutes earlier and it hasn't left my sight. That customer then takes it and waves the muzzle at my face a dozen times in 5 minutes. I know it's unloaded, and yet it's STILL inappropriate.

As the saying goes, "accidents don't happen. Negligence happens." Baldwin has been handling guns for many decades. Pick which version you think applies: Baldwin has never had, in decades of handling guns on sets, any fundamental, Eddie the Eagle level safety course so he doesn't know to "treat all guns as if they're loaded" "never point a gun at someone..." etc., or, b) Baldwin is an arrogant narcissist that thinks rules don't apply to him.

The shooting was clearly unintentional. But even when I play airsoft with my nephews (which I'm way too out of shape to do), I keep my finger off the trigger when I move if I'm not shooting. The training is engrained.

The experts maybe should be fired, but they're not culpable in the homicide in my opinion because there was no intent AND they're not responsible for Baldwins actions. Apparently the rules from the unions or whatever are that the armorer or prop master checks the gun WITH the actor, the actor validates the condition of the firearm, etc. So maybe the prop master didn't do his/her job, but the actor who happens to also be the producer, should have insisted the prop master do the job correctly. So Baldwin is guilty as the trigger puller AND guilty as the producer who did not insist safety rules are followed. Carelessness and negligence are elements in a lot of unintended homicides.

Remember, this prop gun wasn't a plastic replica. It was a REAL gun used as a prop, and he didn't respect it as such. Go to our facebook page that I'm not allowed to post here and we have a video of a customer handing us an "unloaded" AR15. Yes, that's a live round that comes out of the "empty" chamber. Good thing we didn't just take his word for it. BASIC gun safety, even on a liberal movie set.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I disagree. This terminology is being used, on purpose, to change the connotation. It's being used to pretend his gun was somehow expected to be safer and not the same as the guns we carry for self defense. It's being used to deflect away from the fact he did something he has bashed others for.

So if you're going to defend it, well then I guess I carry a prop gun too. Heck all my guns are prop guns.
    A hat used as a prop is no less a hat than the one I wear every day. The word "prop" literally stands for "property". That's it. It doesn't mean "safe" or "fake". It's the prop master, or "property master" that is responsible for the "property" on set. Various types of property are used on set to make a film. In some cases, a cheap plastic replica (like a rubber knife, used for safety in a close quarters situation) may be used or sometimes the property is a real knife used in a close up to show reflections or sharpness as it cuts through paper or hair or whatever. They're all just "properties" used at various times for various reasons.

While your gun is your "property", the term prop is more often used to mean "the property used in a movie set" or the like. It's specifically collected for creating the illusion of reality or whatever. Do you carry your gun to pretend like you're a gun toting red-blooded American? Then maybe it actually is a prop...even if it's real. Or maybe it's just your gun.

So his gun was a prop. A real gun, used as a prop. Just like the real car he might have drove on set, and the real hat he wore, and the real holster he drew the gun from, and the real steps he walked up to get to the real porch he sat on. They're saying "prop" to make it sound like it should have been fake (like you say), but to call it a prop isn't incorrect.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A hat used as a prop is no less a hat than the one I wear every day. The word "prop" literally stands for "property". That's it. It doesn't mean "safe" or "fake". It's the prop master, or "property master" that is responsible for the "property" on set. Various types of property are used on set to make a film. In some cases, a cheap plastic replica (like a rubber knife, used for safety in a close quarters situation) may be used or sometimes the property is a real knife used in a close up to show reflections or sharpness as it cuts through paper or hair or whatever. They're all just "properties" used at various times for various reasons.

While your gun is your "property", the term prop is more often used to mean "the property used in a movie set" or the like. It's specifically collected for creating the illusion of reality or whatever. Do you carry your gun to pretend like you're a gun toting red-blooded American? Then maybe it actually is a prop...even if it's real. Or maybe it's just your gun.

So his gun was a prop. A real gun, used as a prop. Just like the real car he might have drove on set, and the real hat he wore, and the real holster he drew the gun from, and the real steps he walked up to get to the real porch he sat on. They're saying "prop" to make it sound like it should have been fake (like you say), but to call it a prop isn't incorrect.
    The media is using the terms "prop gun" as means to reduce the liability of Baldwin's actions. As if the gun was at fault, rather than Baldwin who pulled the trigger.

Again, further attempts by the media to mislead the factual information concerning the truth of what happened, and to lay the blame on an inanimate object, rather than a person.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    How many convicted of manslaughter were in the category of 'unintentional', but still had to serve time?

Most?

Jeeze, I didn't 'mean to kill her' it was 'unintentional' so my ass remains free...now, get outta muh face, I gotta a movie to finish.

Oh, btw, tell the woman I killed's family - I didn't mean to kill her - so sorry, but hey, it was 'unintentional'.

I personally know of a woman who killed another driver because she was drunk - she served 2+ years for manslaughter, but it too was 'unintentional'...

I had a colleague who's brother was killed by a drunk driver and said 'drunk driver' also served time for manslaughter.

ab, is no different - it was 'manslaughter'.

I also wonder if he was tested for alcohol or drugs immediately after he 'unintentionally' killed?

Top Bottom